4/16 30s Tuesday - KickRunners.com

#1 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
Welcome back to our long lost friends - great to hear from you, even under the sad circumstances.

Still processing yesterday's events, so shocking and upsetting.

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Hi guys. Checking in after a rough day in more ways than 1. Everyone I know here is fine albeit a few too close to the incident for my taste. A friend is at the Lenox and cannot get back in for her stuff and cannot get any response from them. Not sure what she will do as her flight is tonight. She had run the race to boot and hadn't even gone to her room yet. Take care all and thanks for the good vibes and cheers
I am incredibly sore and sunburned.
#3 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Thanks for checking in, Brandy. Congrats on another marathon in the books!! Get home safe.

Lora, you will always have friends here. Always.

I had very vivid dreams of actually running the boston marathon last night and woke up angry and anxious. I had about a dozen friends/family check in to confirm I didn't run this year - and yet they can't understand what this means to me. This has rocked me to the core in a way I feel like those not in the running community have a hard time fathoming ("time to get a new hobby!" one friend said) and so I'm thankful for this community - for our community.
Because I know we will rise above this - we will show our strength in numbers, we will continue to be the helpers and the do gooders no matter what. They can't stop us - they will only spur us on. Because running isn't just a hobby, it's our way of living which in turn, allows us to help and love others.

Run on, my 30s family.

#4 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Thanks for the check-in, Brandy!   So glad you had a successful race and weren't affected by the tragedy.  Still so sad and upset over what happened.  Seeing a picture of the little boy who died just about broke my heart.  That poor family.

Proudly wearing yellow and blue today.  If I could have worn a race shirt to work, I would have.  :)

#5 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

I'm really glad that all our 30s friends are okay. I saw a FB post from 2oh that he was really close to the blast, but that he's okay.  Scary stuff. 

Congrats to Brandy on a great race!  I'm sure the logistics are crazy for everybody in Boston, especially for those in the hotels in the immediate area.  I'm sure special considerations will be made to those who are displaced and can't reach their luggage and have flights and what-not.  But of course there are more urgent people to attend to first...

Like Missy, I got a couple calls and texts from people yesterday.  Basically, they were from people who know me well enough to know that I'm a marathoner, but not well enough to know what my upcoming schedule is... 

This is a crazy world.  With 7 billion people out there, it really only takes a very tiny percentage of them to be insane wackos to make life a mess for everyone else.    For anyone to think that running is now a dangerous sport is silly.  "Get a new hobby"??  Seriously?  If you think about it, NOTHING is 100% safe.  Someone could kill people (with a gun or knife or bomb or whatever) at a school, or a mall, or a football game, or a train station, or a parade, or a circus, or a Star Trek convention, or anything you can think of.  It's sick, but unfortunately it's the world we live in...  You never know...

I did manage to get out for a run yesterday.  I covered 10 miles at about an 8:20 pace, with about 8 miles averaging about 8:05.  I would have liked to have been a little faster, but I'll take it.  I'll do a couple easy recovery miles tonight... 

#6 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 0

HIya,

I know that I don't run these days (Not by choice) but when KP asked me why I was so effected by what happened, I replied that "Those are my peeps. Those are my community"

I am just heart-sick. But it gets better when when we all take care of each other.

#7 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46

I loved what you wrote MissyI'm so glad that everyone I knew that was there is okay.  I didn't know Dan (2oh) was there until he posted on FB.  He was scary close to the explosions.  I've just been sick to my stomach ever since I first heard about this.  It is so deeply affecting.  It feels like no place is safe. So last night I was all Life Is Short! and we made chocolate chip cookies and ate the dough decided that from this day forth every day will be lived to the fullest because you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. I got up before work and ran a little this morning.  I wore my first marathon race shirt under my suit to work today.  But I still feel helpless and sad. 

Timr1 likes this.
#8 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

I am so heart sick too.  Especially this morning.  I feel so weepy.  Yet so grateful that everyone I know personally is okay.

I have loved the running photos people have posted on FB too.

I changed my profile pic to me and my son the last time I ran the Boston Marathon.  He was 8 then.  And he stood in that very area with his brother, my husband and my mother-in-law - all waiting for me to finish when I ran down Boylston Street.  Thinking about that makes my heart and soul ache for those who lost their loved ones - particularly children.  I just cannot make sense of it.  I am angry and sad.

No run for me yet today, but I will run tonight after work.  I am so thankful the sun is shining.  

#9 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM

P.S.  We need a 30's meet up. 

#10 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

morning peeps.

First, congratulations, Brandy!!!! you have made an amazing accomplishment, be very proud of yourself.  you put in so much work and effort.

Second, nice to see some folks pop in.

Now, onto less happy things.

What can I say?  This is my home.  I grew up in Massachusetts, and I've lived in the city itself for over 20 years.  Half of my working career has been spent working within 2 blocks of the marathon finish line, and most of my career was within a mile or two. I celebrated my wedding day at the Lenox Hotel, on Boylston St, across from the finish line.  I have spectated at the Marathon my entire life, beginning when I was little and my parents would bring us into the city to watch.  It was during one of those trips, I told my parents I would live in Boston someday (something my mother always liked to remind people of.)  I run sometimes, so I understand the allure, the mystique of the Boston Marathon.  I know I will never run it, which made it even more exciting to see people I know do so. 

Yesterday, I was frustrated by my guitar lesson earlier in the day and had decided I wouldn't head down to watch the race this year, so I could practice more.  I went out for a coffee to break up my afternoon of sitting at home. When I got the first message from a friend at 3:15, a tweet, saying "phone's not working,  are you at boylston?", followed by a missed call from my sister's best friend, and then a txt from a friend in Toronto, saying, "hope you're ok? xo"...I knew something very bad was happening.  My heart sank, and then I began the process of calling and txting my family and friends.  My friends who were running yesterday.  My friends that were spectating, one of whom I knew was right at the finish line.  My father, so he wouldn't worry.  My sister, because my BiL is a Boston police officer.  3 miles from the finish line, there were a group of us strangers, standing, outside the cafe around the corner from the Sam Adams brewery, on Patriot's Day, talking on the phone to loved ones, trying to understand what "two explosions at the finish line" meant.

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love Boston.  It is not just my hometown, but also how I identify myself.  I am a Bostonian. It is my history, my people, what I believe and love.  It is "the hub of the universe" for its art, culture, history, knowledge, education, social awareness, activism, love, caring, support, and generosity.  It is a city with its fair share of problems, in the past and very much in the future.  But at its heart, it is a city of hope, strength, tolerance, and kindness.  Bostonians are not the cold people often mentioned.  It's not in our nature.  It is only because I know this to be true of my city, that I know we will be stronger in the end. But I am no less heartsick today.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#11 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Hey guys.

I'm so very thankful that our 30's crew is safe after yesterday's news.  My initial reaction, as the first news was via online reports, was confusion... thinking that maybe a gas line had ruptured, but then reality sank in that this was an intentional, deliberate act by a very evil person.  Then, panic set in - wondering if our 30's family were okay.  Now that I know we are.... while I'm still in shock, I think I'm more pissed than anything.  How DARE someone use an event so.... dare I say...  so pure..so welcoming.... to harm others as collateral damage for any reason.  How freaking dare they?!?!

Yet in the middle of tragedy, I am humbled by the selfless acts of the police, medical staff, and even fellow runners and spectators who could have run away from the danger, yet they ran straight to it.  Without question, lives were saved because of their actions.  I"m also humbled by individuals and companies who have reached out to stranded runners, offering food, shelter or even a chance to use a cell phone to those unable to get back to their hotels.

There is pure evil in this world.  Even on home soil.  Yet there is kindness and goodness too... and in the end.... that is what will prevail.  To that, I hold faith. 

Be safe, everyone. 

#12 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Addicted Member

Very well said, Moe.  I only lived in the Boston area for 4 years, and that was quite a while ago.  But it still hits home a little more when something like this occurs in an area that you know well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

P.S.  We need a 30's meet up. 

I agree.  Frankie had popped in here a while ago and suggested one for the fall.  He had suggested a couple places, and the one that seemed to gain the most traction was Hartford CT on Oct 12.  But nobody has said anything about it in a month or two.  Is it time to revisit the idea?  It has definitely been too long since a bunch of us have gotten together. 

So does Hartford tickle anyone's fantasy?  Or does anyone have a better idea? 

#13 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

(((Moe)))  You are my Boston.  I love how proud you are of your city.

I'm wearing my OBX shirt today.  Partly because it was my BQ and a 30s meetup, and partly because I wore my Boston shirt on my Sunday run and it isn't laundered yet.

So glad that Dan is ok.  Glad that some of our LLP (long lost peeps) have checked in.  Agree about the need for a meet-up.

#14 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM

Likes Earned: 0

Still reeling a little mentally, but I got out there and ran 5 this morning. Sniffled a lot with the pollen and the emotions, but they were the best 5 miles I've run in a while.

Despite the circumstances, I am very happy to have found you guys again. And since I am actually Stateside now, I'd like to finally get in on a meetup. :)

#15 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Special Member

I could be talked into a Hartford meetup!   I'm sure I speak for GoV as well.   What race distances are available there?  (Never mind.  I clicked the link in Bob's post and saw full and half.) 

Moe, beautiful post.  AIlarie too. 

#16 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

I could be talked into a Hartford meetup!   I'm sure I speak for GoV as well.   What race distances are available there?  (Never mind.  I clicked the link in Bob's post and saw full and half.) 

And a relay!  (Legs are 5.5 mi, 5.6 mi, 3.1 mi, 6.3 mi, and 5.7 mi).  So if there are folks who don't feel up to a HM, get together at make a relay team! 

And a 5k!  So there should be something for everybody... 

#17 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM

If I can swing it financially, I will go!  Someone had the idea a long time ago, perhaps it was you boB? To go to a small obscure race somewhere and just fill the field with 30's Kickrunners.  I thought that sounded like fun too. :)

#18 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Hope, hugs, love, support from a 30x2 to all of you.
<3

On Wisconsin!
#19 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Hey all...  my heart just can't take too much more.  Boston yesterday coupled with more bad news for my kitty, Lloyd, coupled with family drama and more changes in dad's health and I just am about to the end of my capacity.  I did want to stop in and say hi and I'm thinking of you all.   Will try sweating out some sadness later, ideally a run & CF combo.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taishan View Post

Still reeling a little mentally, but I got out there and ran 5 this morning. Sniffled a lot with the pollen and the emotions, but they were the best 5 miles I've run in a while.

Despite the circumstances, I am very happy to have found you guys again. And since I am actually Stateside now, I'd like to finally get in on a meetup. :)

I know you've said before but where are you now, stateside?  Great to "see" you btw!!

#20 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Special Member

Hey kids!

I am so glad that everyone from here is okay.  I keep in touch with most of you via FaceBook, but wanted to pop in and say "hi".  Lots of memories popped up yesterday from my previous Boston Marathons and hanging out with you all pre and post race!

(fort hose that don't know, I've been VERY broken (2 major hip surgeries and still having a host of issues) since Boston '11 and not running right now so pretty out of the loop these days)

Glad you are all okay!!

#21 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

((((Maria))))

#22 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Of course I had to stick my beak in today!!!  I knew my running peeps would really get this.  Love the FB photos, too...

SO glad you are OK, Brandy and hope Cindi is too...big, big congrats on a job so well done. You just rock all over the place.  I'm sure this will all take time to process for you and the rest of your MNRED running group who were there...I'm so sorry for Dan that he was witness to something so horrific as well. The end of marathons is not where evil should be spawned.  I remember saying in Chicago, "If Obama wants world peace, he should just have everyone run a marathon--agendas and politics and cultural differences and religion do not matter here..." I'm sad that now, this has injected fear into a place where previously, only pride (and dehydration) lived.

I'm also sending special hugs to all of you who have run Boston, or live/lived in Boston--that has a special resonance I can't entirely claim to understand.  Just know that I'm thinking even more of you.

I am wearing my Chicago Marathon shirt today.  I am not carrying around an old banana, though.

I hear what you mean, Phdat--I cannot run (which at times seems a lot to bear), and I've never run Boston, but this is still incredibly personal to me.  This is my "tribe".  I can't get out of my head that my people ran by those bombs. I'm incredibly angry that "our" spectators and children would be touched in this. In one way, I think...OK, if you are marathoner, you take risks. But our people???? I can't get my head around that. 

I will be at where you are for a meet up.. Fall can be bad, though, but I'll do my best to make it happen. I'll sherpa for you and sit out there all day long....what do you guys think about the possibility of doing a bit of fund raising as part of it to give to something?  Families who need help with med bills?  I just feel like when I was really at my worst, runners showed for me, so I need to show for them.

Oh, and I am going to walk somewhere for a mile tonight. I dunno where, and probably not at 9 PM, but I still will, and carry all of you with me.  <3

#23 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranegirl View Post

what do you guys think about the possibility of doing a bit of fund raising as part of it to give to something?  Families who need help with med bills? 

You read my mind.  I did a little research on where to give to help, and so far it's Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Boston Children's Hospital.  I was thinking that by October, there will be something well established that we could throw our collective weight behind (one of those or something else).  The only problem will be we'll all want to donate to each other!  :)   'Cause that's how we roll.

(((Maria)))  Huge hugs to you.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with so much. 

#24 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20

Hey all,

Met some friends for a 5 mile trail run this morning.  It was good therapy. 

(((Maria)))

Moe - well said.  I'm so sorry for all involved.  You are a true ambasador for your great city.  And I think that everyone rolls out the red carpet for all of the runners from around the world.  Boston should be proud of how great this event is.  Your city is magnificent and is proudly on display throughout the Boston Marathon weekend.  People who don't run or don't know often ask me how I would describe the Boston Marathon and this is my response:  "If there was a national holiday to celebrate the marathon event, it would be THE Boston Marathon."  It is a holiday there, and everyone supports it.  The course is historic and challenging and fantastic.  And it's an All-Star race where you're surrounded by your peers. 

My heart breaks for everyone involved.  Those with injuries, those with injured family members, the participants, the first responders, the people working the hospitals....the list goes on and on.  So sad.  :( 

#25 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningINnyc View Post

I know you've said before but where are you now, stateside?  Great to "see" you btw!!

We moved to the Washington D.C. area back in March 2009. Finally back in the running game after a 2008-2010 filled with medical issues of all stripes. Did my first half in ages just a month ago at the DC R&R.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page