Feelin' Hot, Hot Hot! (and not in a Buster Poindexter kind of way!) - KickRunners.com

#1 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

G'morning folks.

The heat wave continues.  Be safe, everyone!

No running for me yesterday.  I headed to the local Sunflower festival with my mom and stepdad.  We made it a whole 2.5 hours (at most) before we decided to get out of there.  Even in the shade, it was unbearable.  Yeech.  I did at least get some good photos! (will have to post those later - they're on my work laptop, which is by the door now.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

Good morning!

It's a little cooler up here, but still hot. Should make for a good pool day, but I have to get a filling after work.

I did get a little run in last night. 3 miles at a bit faster pace. It felt good.

I saw your pics on Facebook, Ail. They're fantastic!

Have a Happy Monday everyone!

#3 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

Howdy, y'all.  Oh well, it's Monday again.  At least it's kinda Thursday-ish...

Quite a bit of sweating for me this weekend, both working out and doing yardwork.  Slept like a rock last night... 

Oh, we decided to take DD to see "Brave" on Saturday.  There were some scenes that maybe could've been kinda scary, but DD had no problems with it.  I guess she's already desensitized to violence on the screen.  rolleyes.gif  Well, it was an enjoyable movie...

I'm gonna take today off.  I feel as though I could handle a workout, but I just think I could probably use a rest day at this stage, no matter what I feel like. 

Stay cool, everyone... 

#4 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Hola folks.

Yes, it is going to be crazy hot here all week.  It seems very likely that my Tuesday night track workout will get cancelled once again as the real temp is supposed to be 95, but it is also supposed to be really humid - so with heat index well over 100.  The boys and I will do the workout on our own (400s), but I always have a better workout when pushing it with others on the track.

I got most of the way through the book Unbroken yesterday.  I was pretty glued to it most of the afternoon/evening.  Incredible book.  Hopefully I'll be able to finish it tonight.

#5 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Hello hello.   Good racing, RIL and KP!  Everyone else, please stay safe in the heat.  Duck, I like the word squooshy.  smile.gif (I think that's how you described your rain-soaked run this weekend.)

Friday night I went for a bike fit appointment, yes with my back all kinds of jacked up.  I had rescheduled it twice already and didn't feel right rescheduling again, so I just sucked it up and went.  Turns out my bike fit was perfect (way to go, IronEx!), but my shoes and pedals were wrong for my biomechanics so I bought new shoes, new cleats, and new pedals...  and now I have to re-learn how to clip in and out with them.  They are way tighter than my old ones, and the pedals are also one-sided.  My old pedals were the same on both sides, so clipping in (for example, starting up again when a red light turns green and you're trying to hoof it through the intersection) was easy -- no matter which way  my pedal was turned, I could easily snap my shoe into it and start cranking.  My new pedals, however, are accessible only from one side, so clipping in requires first making sure the pedal is right-side-up and THEN getting my foot in there properly.  And again, it's way tighter than my old setup was, so it's just harder to get in and out to begin with... 

Needless to say, there will be falling.  (Dammit, I haven't fallen on my bike in 3 years!)  Also needless to say, I was pretty sure the impact of falling would not be good for my back this weekend, so I rode both mornings on my trainer while watching TDF coverage on tv.  Pretty motivating, actually!   biggrin.gif

My back is improving, but it's still nowhere near good.  There is pain and a tingling sensation travelling down toward my glute, kind of right behind my pelvis.   

#6 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20

morning everyone

I ran just over 6 this morning and it was pretty gross.  Near 80 with a DP of 74.  thick thick thick.  squishy  -  a deer fly bit me on my head too

thinking I be needing to doing track tomorrow morning.  which btw is when big kitteh's appt :(

stay safe out there

#7 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Special Member

Theia - Yeah, I would kill myself with that setup.  Seriously.  Glad your back is improving.

Brandy - :(  Hugs to you.

#8 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

Morning all

Here's the view I enjoyed this morning while drinking my post-run coffee.  Was just in time to see the gaggle of geese paddle by.

camp.png

Busy day at work today and no one else is in the office.  It's perfect.  smile.gif

#9 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

(((( Brandy ))))

Theia - if my memory doesn't fail me - I think I once read about you feeling all bad-ass, riding along with dried blood all down your leg from where you had wiped out, but got right back on the bike.  Not that I hope you wipe out again of course, but with new clips/pedals, it's pretty likely.  May any fall be easy on the back, yet add to your bad-ass-ness!  Rawr!

Here are a few photos from the festival...

Old wood burning stove. (Kind of odd to be placed in one of their garden areas, but the effect was kinda cool!)

100_3286.JPG

Collection of antique tractors.  Every time I'd look at one of the red ones, I kept thinking of 'Mater, from Disney's Cars movie!

100_3294.JPG

In the above mentioned garden area, I saw more hummingbirds in one place that I have probably ever seen in my lifetime...

100_3291.JPG

Self-explanatory:  (note that this is eye level.. I'm not squatting down to take the pic!)
100_3283.JPG

#10 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Oh.. forgot to ask you guys something.  Several folks here are great at coming up with party ideas, etc.  My mom is already planning my step-dad's 80th party  (we have almost a year to plan.).  Previous years, we've had gatherings at the clubhouse of her condo, but she's moved and that's out of the question now.  Also, she's tired of dealing with bringing food in, dealing with decorations (golf theme, Clemson college football theme) ... so.. plan B.

We'll be heading to Frank's favorite buffet restaurant.  It's right beside a railroad, and they actually have three private box cars that are available for rent.  One is plenty big enough for our group.  So - where to go and the food is covered.  Mom is trying to think up activities for us to honor/celebrate, but we've already done the slideshow deal for his 75th and 78th, and we've already done the deal where everyone makes their own little speech/toast to Frank, recalling a special memory of some sort.

If any of you creative folks happen to think of something that might work well in this situation, mind posting the idea here or shooting me a PM?  The only thing that I thought of that was cute, but not a real activity exactly, was presenting frank with various "80 of X" gifts.  80 golf balls.  80 pieces of candy corn.  (stuff he likes and would use.) 

I've got the deer-in-headlights look and would appreciate any feedback! :)  Thanks!

#11 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

Morning 30's.  It will be nice here.  Somewhere in the 70's today.  Sorry about the humid weather back East.

I ran a little over 5 yesterday and will have to wait until later to run today.  We are headed to Hollywood this morning for a little site seeing.

Have a great Monday everyone.

#12 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Hey gang...

Brandy - feel for you and baggs, but probably the right thing to do for the kitty.

TOUGH workout this morning.  Kicked off training for GR.  Following the Run Less, Run Faster plan again, and hopefully this time I'll be able to stick to it a bit better - not as many real-life interruptions. Workout called for 12x400 with 90 seconds recovery.  Based on my 5k this weekend was supposed to complete each one of those 400s in 1:56.  Since I'm using my garmin I did .25 of a mile, plus around our block is just a hair longer than that so with the 90 seconds recovery it as a full lap.

Made it through #9 before I had to increase the rest to 2 minutes in order to maintain the pace.  But finished 'em all and only the last one was off my time.  By 3 seconds.  Feel pretty **** good about this one today.

Then settled in for the last 25 miles of the TdF stage.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#13 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Special Member

Nice workout KP.

Hi Ron.

Check out this ridiculousness:  http://www.thelocal.fr/3657/20120702/

#14 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Special Member

steeplechase peeps are weird

as are mascots

#15 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Special Member

Hi all.

No workout for me this morning.  Had to be in court EARLY, so cut out of the house at 6 a.m.  Had to get to the office and generate some paperwork first, so I could be prepped at the hearing.  Thankfully, DW was able to walk to dogs, which freed me up.  :)

Speaking of dogs...    My lovely wife just informed me that Scooby (newest addition - Either Shih-tzu or Lhasa Apso, mixed with *******) is continuing to mark all over the house.   

for the first few months, it was aggression issues.  That has MOSTLY resolved, thank goodness.   In many, many ways, he is a great pet.   But he won't stop peeing. 

We just got new carpet in the bedroom.  It's REALLY nice, and we like it and want to keep it that way.  this weekend, we cleaned up 2 spots in there, where he has obviously marked a table leg, and it gets on the carpet...  Well, she just texted and told me that there are 4 new marks in the bedroom.  4.  In what?  A day?  Maybe 2???    GAH!!!!!!!

This needs to stop.  I love the guy, and I am proud to be a responsible pet owner -- but I insist that we (the PEOPLE WHO RESIDE THERE) are allowed to have some nice things.   A carpet, and non-pee-stained furniture simply cannot -- no, IS NOT -- too much to ask!!

BangHead.gif                                             

. . .  And in music news, number one on the college charts this summer was Better than Ezra.   And at number two:  Ezra.

#16 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

(((Brandy and Baggs)))

Great pics, Ailarie!  For the bday party, will you have enough tables so that each one can represent a different decade of his life?  If not, maybe organze them by stages of life -- childhood, young adult/working man, father, grandfather???  Each one could have pics or some giveaway item to represent that stage?  

Awesome workout, KP!!  12 x 400 is just crazy talk. 

GoV, your dog sounds like an *******.  biggrin.gif

#17 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

GoV, your dog sounds like an *******.  biggrin.gif

Word.  

Fort hose who haven't seen it on FB, here is a post from our friend Pacer:

My wife of 18 years (today) always tells me she absolutely loves public declarations of love. So here goes. I LOVE:
The Steelers
Guinness and Yuengling beer
Running with my pals
Ice Cream
My daughters (who also happen to be a pain)
U2

I feel like I'm leaving something out...

. . .  And in music news, number one on the college charts this summer was Better than Ezra.   And at number two:  Ezra.

#18 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

I think Mrs. Pacer is going to be leaving something out for quite some time!

#19 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Special Member

diapers for scooby?  cesar?

I am having a similar issue with little kitteh - she goes through spells of just not using the litter box.  First we gave her a litter box upstairs away from big kittehs.  that worked for awhile and then we had some more issues.  I ripped up all of the carpet where that litter box is to avoid lingering smells and cues for her to go there instead of litter box.  That worked for a while.  NOW she is creeping out of that area and going on the carpet again.  sigh.

#20 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Special Member

Yuck re peeing everywhere.  I wouldn't deal well with that.

I do have a funny, somewhat related story though:

When DS2 was born, our cat rebelled and started pooping all over the house (she also started licking the fur off her belly - weirdo).  In response, we kept putting her outside.  The result?  She trained herself to go outside.  I was a stay at home mom at the time, so she'd go to the door and meow, I'd let her out and she'd do her business.  We were able to fully get rid of the litterbox altogether for almost 2 years.  What changed?  We moved to WI right before Winter.  She was all good with the routine up until it was snowy/freezing out.  Then the little Florida cat was unwilling and we had to reinstitute the litterbox.  It was a great gig while it lasted though....

#21 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Hola...add me to the the list of those in back pain. I sat down on the gym floor (not my gym, a real gymnasium where the kiddos are taking "nastics" as M calls it).It was a padded foam floor, yet when I sat I felt this pain shoot up my spine. It's really strange...it comes and goes.

I'm making a concerted effort to only eat lean protein and fruits and veggies for the next few weeks...no alcohol, caffeine etc- basically trying to shock my metabolism and clean up my diet a bit. As a result I'm taking in lower calories and feeling a bit woozy. At least my head doesn't hurt. However, I had a dream about food last night.

Gov/Theia-sorry about the puppy marking..that's no fun. Moe-I don't know if I wrote you with my condolences last week. Your G'pa had a good life it seemed.

#22 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Theia - Hrm.. not entirely sure of spacing, (Depends on which car she reserves) but that's an idea, no doubt.  I added it to the list.  Thanks!  Oh - and scoobs?  (I assume he's been snipsnipped, yes?)   I second the vote that (if he would tolerate it), put a belly band on him - at least when you guys are gone.  (assuming he doesn't mark when the human critters are around).  If that doesn't work, what about confining him  when you're out, to the kitchen or bathroom - some place without nice new carpet?

((( KJ )))

#23 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28

Garmin Girls on the run offer:

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/

Crazy day here, but only 4 more working hours this week and then I'm lake bound!  

Don't believe everything you think
#24 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichel View Post

Garmin Girls on the run offer:

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/

I want the new Garmin 610 or 910.  I've read good things about them both.  BUT holy cow they are spendy!  Anyone here have one?

#25 of 31 Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

howdy

((((((((((((Brandy and Baggs)))))))))))))) so sorry about Big Kitty.

My grandfather Moe's funeral was this morning.  The priest was really kind and very thoughtful, and at the wake yesterday, it was in neat to meet people who worked with and for my him when the family owned the fruit and veg business.  One woman said she worked there after school when she was little, like 10, and was paid with a pie at the end of the week! 

Also, my grandmother was telling us, one of my aunt's friends had come over last Tues to give my grandfather a haircut, just a few days before he died.  He was always very vain about his hair and the cut made him very happy.  Nani said they were sitting on the couch that night, watching TV, and Moe said to her, "I want to kiss you!" and then kissed her cheek and her forehead, and then asked her, "do you want to kiss me?"  She said, "ok, I'll kiss you!"  Can you imagine being married 73 years, and still being that much in love???  They used to hold hands all the time too. She's going to have a hard time without him (although we're all grateful he died first, because he wouldn't have lasted a week without her.)

I ran yesterday in the midday heat.  Maybe 2.5?   It was so hot, I had sweat dripping down my legs when I got back.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page