in denial monday - KickRunners.com

#1 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4

we got home late last night.

i have officially found two new happy places - both provincetown, cape cod and martha's vineyard. being at the beach at p-town and then escaping into the back roads of the vineyard, i felt like i disappeared and returned a restored person.

IMAG0476.jpg

anyhow. i need to go back and catch up, but briefly:

holyCOW, litch. glad you are ok and good luck with the new jobby job today! love that you are geeky and excited about the new position - have a great day!

congrats on your race, boB

duck, i saw that a new attendance record was set at hayward. soooooo cool. what are your thoughts about the women's 100 m dash tie breaker?

time for some cofffaay and about a million loads of laundry. ta ta.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Adorable pic, Missy!   Glad you had a restorative and fun vacation. 

Good luck today, Litch!  Play nice with the other kids.  smile.gif

Congrats on the race, Bob.  Not a PR, I know, but still pretty kickass.  Every time I hear Amani Toomer's name, I think of Ahnold going, "It's not a tumah!" in Kindergarten Cop.  hee hee

Still no running for me.  My self-imposed hiatus from running might end soon, though.  After not running for nearly two weeks, I ran in the warmup in class this morning, partly to see how it felt and partly to create some pain so that I can pinpoint exactly where it hurts when I finally see the doctor this afternoon.  (Hey, my logic seems totally logical in Theia-World.)  The pain wasn't nearly as crippling as it was two, three, four weeks ago.  Is that because it's healing or simply because I hadn't run in so long?  Or both?  Either way, I may try a short run at some point this week.  Yay!

So tired.  I woke up every half hour from 3 a.m. until 4:45, at which point Maximus started his morning antics (meowing, purring, and jumping on and off the bed to wake me up to be fed).  Couldn't fall back asleep after that.  Bleh. 

I am wearing a cute skirt today, however.  So I got that going for me.  Which is nice.

#3 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Given: 4

amichel, did i miss something? are you guys moving AGAIN???

yay for cute skirt!!! i got a SUPER cute dress from MV that i will be wearing everyday the rest of the summer. ooohh!! have i ever told you guys that my souvenir from places we visit are dresses? b/c then it reminds me of our time there and if i get a compliment, i get to say, "oh! yeah, this dress is from santorini or florence or _______" (although, the irony is that all of them are made in china, lmao)

i need to go wake AK up or else she won't take an afternoon nap. but... i loooooooove this quiet, peacefulness....

#4 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

Morning

Missy - sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Bob - Congrats on such a good race despite the wonky ankle

Alexis  - your cat needs to settle down and let you sleep!  (gentle hugs to hurty parts)

Mindi - re: goals question from yesterday.  For the fall, I am going to concentrate more on the mid distances and speed.  I wold like to break 22 in the 5k this year as well as 1:17 in the 10 miler and eventually 1:40 in the HM at Mankato at the end of October.

#5 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Well...the house we are in now was "temporary" and we moved in February 2010. Dh is building a house closer to his office, school, church, gym, and tae Kwon do. Should be THE house until the kids are grown and gone! If all stays on schedule, it will be finished in September.

Two miles on the treadmill this morning.

Softball tournament starts tonight. I already need a nap!

Don't believe everything you think
#6 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

morning peeps.

I have running to report.  2 mi this morning!  Now that my show has closed, and I'm taking an extended hiatus from theater, I am committing myself to running, playing guitar, and other personally fulfilling activities.  Thankyouverymuch.

I also hit two buckets of balls at the driving range yesterday afternoon.  My back feels pretty good, which is always my concern when I golf, although I think it's probably carrying my bag that's the issue and not swinging to much.

Congrats on your 5K boB! 

Take care, Theia.  And everyone running in the heat...it was cool this morning here, which is part of the reason I went before work, even though I hate running in the am.

Missy, what a lovely photo!!!!

Kath, I do love those acres and acres of farmland. :)

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#7 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6

G'morning all - I've been kinda' decompressing since my return late Thursday.  First got some badly needed deep tissue work built up from six weeks of running Friday morning, had lunch with Kris (not typical, since we both work), did lots of laundry, and jury-rigged the exhaust pipe on Kris' car so it wouldn't drag on the road on the way to the mechanic (as was mentioned in a previous post, the catalytic converter was stolen - boo hiss).  I must say it was a fairly elegant jury-rig, done with rope and a man's favorite fix-it gadget - duct tape smile.gif

Friday and night the first half of Saturday found us attending the Special Olympics at OSU - Kris' niece was one of the over 2000 athletes and did a fine job of representing her county's team with some fine work in the cycling event.  Sunday we embarked on a walk through of a local Metro Park and caught a summer concert series performance down by the river by a band featuring one of Kris' co-workers.

In between this time was a lot of Olympic Trials watching, especially the track and field events from Eugene.

Found out today that my main source of work currently is on hold, which means a lot of finagling in stuff that isn't my usual realm but will be a nice change of pace all said.   Also going to try to get back into a running groove after work today if it isn't too warm.  Going to try to work out a morning routine, but I have to work out the new parking situation first (parked in a fairly expensive garage close to work for the first few months, but I'm not interested in forking out that much money now that I've returned) to figure out when I would need to drag my ass out of bed.

Missy - sounds like you had a fab time.  boB - congrats on the 5K time; pretty darn good considering the ankle.  Theia - a little rest will do you some good sometimes; I hope you'll be back to the run routine soon.

Wishing you all good rest of the days!

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#8 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

That's a great pic, Missy!  I'm glad you found some new happy places.  biggrin.gif

Continued healing vibes to Theia

Thanks for the congrats on the race, guys.  I'm actually a little perplexed how I was 10 seconds slower here (on a basically flat course) than I was last month on a extremely hilly 5k.  Even though the ankle didn't hurt, maybe I subconsciously held myself back.  Or maybe the sun was beating down just enough to sap my strength.  Whatever.  I guess my next shot at a 5k PR will be at the airport race next month.  That's the site of my current PR, but I'd need ideal conditions (i.e. cool and cloudy) to break it.  If that doesn't happen, then there's another race in late October that would be my next shot.  Not much chance of it being too hot in late October...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theia View Post

Every time I hear Amani Toomer's name, I think of Ahnold going, "It's not a tumah!" in Kindergarten Cop.  hee hee

Heh, I almost said that to him as I passed him, but I figured that would probably annoy him.  He had to deal with enough idiots yelling at him and chanting his name (this is a former Giants player running at Giants Stadium after all), so I just passed him quietly and gave him a moment of peace.  Btw, he must've really hit the wall or something, becuase he finished in 27:45.  Heh, I should keep track of all the famous people that I've beaten head-to-head in a race.  I believe I beat Alannis Morisette and Anthony Edwards in the NYC Marathon (and just barely got beat by Edward Norton), and I beat two-time Boston Marathon champ Bill Rogers in a 5-miler here in NJ a couple years ago.  Okay, he's like 30 years older than me, but I still beat him!  biggrin.gif

#9 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBob View Post

Heh, I should keep track of all the famous people that I've beaten head-to-head in a race.  I believe I beat Alannis Morisette and Anthony Edwards in the NYC Marathon (and just barely got beat by Edward Norton), and I beat two-time Boston Marathon champ Bill Rogers in a 5-miler here in NJ a couple years ago.  Okay, he's like 30 years older than me, but I still beat him!  biggrin.gif

lol.gif

I don't have much opportunity to race against famous people, living where I live, but I do have a famous person race report that some of you may remember.  In my very first tri in 2007, I met future Hall of Fame goalie Mike Richter from the NY Rangers.  The following year, he did the same race, as did I, and he remembered meeting me.   As I was approaching the turnaround on the run, he was flying toward me.... and CHEERED FOR ME!   If I remember correctly, he grunted something like, "gggag  ggggg  go!"   Talk about a thrill!  Here's one of the best goalies to ever play in the NHL... cheering for me???  After the race, I went over to thank him and tell him how exciting that was, and he said something along the lines of, "You were flying out there!  You looked great!" 

Swoon!

(Keep in mind that I'm a total hockey geek, so to me this was way better than Brad Pitt or George Clooney or any other more recognizable famous person.) 

Edited because I had the wrong year!   Oops.  I know how long I've been doing this... 

#10 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Howdy folks.

Missybabe - that is an ADORABLE photo.  I had to stifle my "awwwwww!' response here at the office so as not to give away that I was playing and not working.  Such an adorable photo.  I know I said that already, but maybe I need another word instead of adorable, because adorable, while appropriate, just doesn't seem to be enough to explain how cute the photo is. 

Theia - I feel your pain, sister.  Well, not with kittykitties who are prone to wanting to start the day earlier than I want to, but certainly on the zombie-feeling.  Hope the doc has some good news/plans for you and the hurty parts today!

Sat night the AC crapped out at the house.  Since I pay for annual maintenance, I can get weekend service for only $20 plus their parts.  Called the company at 10pm on Sat night, and was actually apologetic for calling so late, but hey - ac units don't work on standard business hours.  The guy said he could come out there then, but it was dark and i could tell he was tired from running other calls that day, so we agreed on a 10am Sunday appointment.  (which gave me time to get my LR in.)  Diagnosis was easy - capacitor splat.  As in, raised up top like it was about to pop, splat.  New capacitor = wonderful cooling again.  Rawr.  The guy was very appreciative for letting him work on the unit during the day, (and for the gatorade powder packets that I gave to him) and after I asked him to verify my filter size since I needed to pick up a new one, not only did he give me that info, he grabbed one of their nice models from the truck and installed it free of charge.  Score!  (Yeah, it was only a $15 or $20 score, but still.. just goes to show that sometimes when you're nice, karma comes around in the simplest and unexpected ways. :) 

I actually slept pretty doggone well last night, medication-free.  Probably was my body's way of being so thankful that it wasn't 84 - 81 degrees, like the night before! :)

Oh yeah.. fitness!  Rest day planned today.  May fight with the weed eater and/or groom the dogs this evening, and trust me - both of those can nearly be considered cross training events.  Egads!! :)

Have a good day folks!

#11 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20

congrats boB! on the race, cute pics, your daughter is quite the experienced racer now. 

(((Theia)))

It's NOT a tumah! 

yeah Missy, enjoy your summer.

Moe - sounds like you're going in the right direction with "me" time.  enjoy! 

#12 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

Morning all.   

I took the morning off.   Numerous trips to the gym this weekend, plus a short run outside.  I was pretty sore.  Plus, I was up until 2 a.m. redoing some work that I very stupidly deleted.  Schmuck.  That didn't last long, because Max's antics (See Theia's post, above) woke me up.   I fed him, but that still didn't shut him up, so there was no sleeping after that.   Ugh.   I honestly don't know what to do to reset that dude's clock, but I do. not. see the humor in it anymore.  Seriously.   My mind tells me that you can't reason with a cat.  But my lack of patience doesn't listen to that very well as I am cursing the little dude all the way down the stairs...  

Good thing he's cute.  Really.  I got on the floor last night for some quick foam-rolling, and he was right there, all purry and snuggly and nice....   Hard to be too mad at him, I suppose...

I will go to the gym this evening, assuming I get out of the office at any reasonable hour.

Moe - congrats on the running!

Bob - congrats on your race.

I know I am missing stuff, but I have to get going to a meeting that is starting late!

See ya!

. . .  And in music news, number one on the college charts this summer was Better than Ezra.   And at number two:  Ezra.

#13 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by govandals View Post

Good thing he's cute.  Really.  

max.jpg

#14 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM

pretty kitty. ;)

Miss Trixie has taken to napping sprawled over my laptop.  She's ridiculous.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#15 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Brandy - that is cool.  One of these seasons I will do the same thing (focus on distances other than the marathon).  

Today is a rest day, which is too bad because it was 55 degrees this morning.  If I didn't have to work early, I'd probably have run anyway.

SIL starts round 2 of chemo today.  Any vibes appreciated.

#16 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

Yo yo yo... hello everyone!   Looking forward to yoga tonight while it storms outside, we'll get it real hot in the studio w/these conditions

Missy - OMG, I am soooo in love with that picture!!   Soooo glad you had such an amazing time!

Congrats to boB and KP on their races!!

#17 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

many vibes sent, Mindi.

man, I have summer on the brain...so hard to get work done, esp with loose deadlines.   I so wanted to go to the beach yesterday.  The driving range, while fun, does not equal the beach.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#18 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

All sorts of positive energy out to your SIL, Mindi!!!   love1.gif

#19 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Special Member

Lots of positive vibes going out to your SIL, Mindi!

Sounds like a fabulous vacation, Missy.

Glad the AC is up and running again, Ail!

Nice races KP and Bob!

I'm back from Niagara Falls. It was a lot of fun, but exhausting. I am currently waiting for someone from the school district's personnel office to call me for a phone interview. She's already 10 minutes late, and I super nervous. I just want to get the call over with.

No running for me since Wednesday, Hopefully, I'll get some miles in tonight.

#20 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

I just ordered 2,200 lbs of clay.

biggrin.gif

#21 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

More positive vibes to RIL's SIL. 

Yeesh, I opened the photo thread that Theia bumped, and the first post on the first page I clicked on had a post from Voodoo with a bunch of pics.  I will definitely have to peruse that thread some more after I get home... 

#22 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Thanks everyone!

Ha - I just spent a few minutes looking at the photos (and then made myself stop or I'll be in there for an hour).

THIS is hilarious:

Timr1 likes this.
#23 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Hey everybody!  I've been MIA lately...wrapping up the school year, starting my summer part time job, DS basketball stuff...and...an injury.  My right hip has been hurting quite a bit so I broke down and went in.  Bursitis and IT inflammation.  I am registered for my 2nd marathon on Sept. 1st.  Doctor said probably not to run it, but maybe could do the half.  I am doing PT and the stretches are helping tremendously!  My last 2 runs have been pretty much pain free, so I'm hoping that maybe I could still do the full on Sept. 1st, but not sure.  I'm really bummed about the full and I don't want to give in or give up.

Cute cat Theia!  As I type, my yellow lab Max is practically laying on my keyboard.  

Missy...very cute picture!

PacerChris...even better picture!  That is hysterical!  

In other news, my cousin Mike completed the Ironman yesterday in Idaho!  Very cool!  His time was 14:52...cannot even imagine doing that!

I hope everybody has been doing well.  I am going to try to keep up better!  I do love being back here!

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Running Blog

#24 of 24 Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Hey guys

I'm watching heat 2 of men's 5k right now.

Ran 5 or so at lunch, legs were kind of dead.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page