Happy Halloween, 10/31/2011 - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 0

No problem!  I can talk about this alot... if fact I do... I taught inflammation in my pharmacology class today! biggrin.gif

It is OK to control the symptoms of inflammation (ice for pain, compression to limit swelling, elevation for swelling) without controlling that actual process that the drugs interfere with.  So, wear the sleeve if it feels good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

Quote:

Follow-up question, please.  Why am I icing the area, if inflammation needs to be in place?  Isn't swelling a by-product of inflammation, which, apparently I want?  (Not trying to be the annoying / heckling student!  I really am curious!  I always thought that it was good to keep inflammation down, and that specifically why I reached for Ibuprofen.  I had that arrangement totally bass-ackwards!)  :)

Does that also mean that wearing a neoprene brace is a bad idea?  I feel a little safer with it on atm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by phdatc View Post

It is OK to control the symptoms of inflammation (ice for pain, compression to limit swelling, elevation for swelling) without controlling that actual process that the drugs interfere with.  

Perfect explanation - thank you!  (/puts the ibuprofen away!)

Now if you could only be a time-traveler and tell me when I might could get back to running or at least use a stationary bike so as not to add to the cardio/fitness loss that I've experienced while battling the head cold! :)  I know the fact that I can put weight on the foot in a straight-line pattern is good, but since left/right movement smarts like the dickens, I figure that (and some swelling) will have to kick themselves to the curb before I can consider either.

Maureen - thanks for my typo fixxer-upper!  That was bugging me! :)

#28 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Happy Halloween!

I'm wearing my Chiquita the Banana Lady costume.  I wasn't feeling very festive this morning but I figured putting the costume on would help.  It has.

We got a ton of wind and rain last night.  But no snow.  So that's alright with me.

Happy birthday, Litch!

Ailarie, sorry about the spill!

DH gave me a stencil for carving Ariel into a pumpkin so I did that yesterday afternoon.  Lena was impressed, Ariel is her fav!

IMG_7957.JPG

sauconRunner likes this.

#29 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITCH!!! I'm glad you checked in. I was thinking about you this morning and couldn't remember the last time you checked in, and was hoping you weren't completely buried & frozen.

Big nap this morning. BIG nap.

Two of my nephews - Brendan and Patrick for those of you who met them - are going as Steve Jobs and Steve Waczniac (sp) for Halloween.

#30 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Happy Brrf-day , Litch!

Clarebear  - COOL pumpkin!  Wish I had phat carving skills like that! :)

#31 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

Happy Birthday Litch!

Nice job on the pumpkin Clare!

#32 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clare View Post

DH gave me a stencil for carving Ariel into a pumpkin so I did that yesterday afternoon.  Lena was impressed, Ariel is her fav!

IMG_7957.JPG

Lena looks so proud!!!  ...and absolutely adorable, of course

#33 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 AM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Happy Birthday Litch!  Hope you were able to keep the beer cold this weekend - and I hope you have a nice pumpkin beer lined up for the celebration tonight.

Ailarie - riding a stationary bike shouldn't be a problem for you if you can do it pain free.  It might actually help the swelling.

Duck - I've got a KP-powered scooter to use but only have to use it for another 2 days.  Wednesday is the big day:  staples come out and I get the walking cast.  Feels pretty good right now actually - only thing I notice now is the staples pulling in a few certain positions.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#34 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KP View Post
Ailarie - riding a stationary bike shouldn't be a problem for you if you can do it pain free.  It might actually help the swelling.

Oooh score!  Are we talking free-spinning (minimal to no resistance) or applying a small amount?  Free spinning would not be a problem right now.  I think even a mild amount of resistance would be tolerable, since the foot would be straight and not rotating any. Thanks for the info!

Next color guess for your cast:  Orange! :)  (I'm gonna give up guessing after the 3rd attempt!)

#35 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, litch!!!!!!!

great pumpkin, colleen!

fly by. AK Is sick today and has been ms. fussybucket all morning long. of course, when we went to DH's office to ToT, she was a doll and everyone loved her. dr. jekyl/. ms hyde. anyhow. pics to come. happy halloween!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
KP
Special Member

Ailarie - some resistance is okay but just be careful.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#37 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

Happy Birthday, Litch!

#38 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Who thinks that Kath should make this hat?

nPHQH.jpg

#39 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Addicted Member

Fun! Gives new meaning to the term 'thinking cap'.

Although it looks like a painful amount of i-cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post

Who thinks that Kath should make this hat?

nPHQH.jpg

#40 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0

I would like an unlimited supply of patience, an equally unlimited supply of energy, the ability to know the future, and the ability to go back to the past and undo/fix painful experiences.  Please and thank you.

"It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Praecipua in Pink
#41 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:

Ailarie - some resistance is okay but just be careful.

Aye Aye, Captain!  Thanks again!

#42 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by praecipua View Post

I would like an unlimited supply of patience, an equally unlimited supply of energy, the ability to know the future, and the ability to go back to the past and undo/fix painful experiences.  Please and thank you.

((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

also, I would just like to take back "Are we having another earth quake?" for now. 

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#43 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Likes Given: 5

I just applied for a job I would really like at the Museum. 

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#44 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Special Member

I just talked to my dissertation adviser, and I wish we were still in the same place because he is awesome and always makes me feel better.

I also wish I could walk around all day with the E-stim machine hooked up to my back because man, do I love it!  This morning at my appointment, they hooked me up and then put a heating pad over the hook-ups.  Heaven!  Of course, it helped that everyone in the office dressed up for Halloween and HC dressed as a cowboy and was wearing some of the tightest jeans I've seen in a long time.  Definitely a nice view in the morning.

"It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Praecipua in Pink
#45 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27

happy birthday, Litch!!!!

We got 16+ inches of snow Saturday and were trapped Sunday as there were downed powerlines and trees at both ends of the road to get out.  Neighbors worked all day to get one side open, although its not that safe as there is a tree we have to drive under that we just make it under and we have to drive over power lines which is ok for now since there is no power and won't be until at least Thursday.  On top of it all we lost quite a few trees on the property :(

Today we drove to my SIL's 30 miles away for heat and showers.  We have a generator for the fridge and some electric in our bedroom but I can't spend the week living in there.  Schools closed due to power and buses can't get to houses.  It's Armageddon out there since the gas stations are closed and street lights are out.  Crazy!

Happy Halloween to everyone, we do our trick or treating Friday night so it worked out well for the kids!

#46 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
KP
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praecipua View Post
I also wish I could walk around all day with the E-stim machine hooked up to my back because man, do I love it!  This morning at my appointment, they hooked me up and then put a heating pad over the hook-ups.  Heaven! 

You can, it's called at TENS unit.  Just need to have your physician, maybe your chiropractor can - not sure varies by state licensure, prescribe one for you.

My Blog I My Running Log 
#47 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Special Member

Quote:

You can, it's called at TENS unit.  Just need to have your physician, maybe your chiropractor can - not sure varies by state licensure, prescribe one for you.

The chiro and I talked about taking this (or something like it) with me when I head home for Thanksgiving.  If 4 hours in the car last week was uncomfortable 11 hours x 2 is going to be awful.  He said I could borrow one from his office, and he has mentioned before that they're relatively cheap to buy (as your link shows ~$30).  I'm not sure that walking around all day with it would be good, but I am probably going to get one.

Praecipua in Pink
#48 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2

Happy Birthday, Litch!

I can't believe the snow so many people got this weekend.  Right where I live, we got nothing.  Big flakes coming down at several points in the day, but nothing really sticking other than a dusting at one point.  We mainly stuck with a cold rain/snain. 

6 miles for me today.  Good run. 

Fidat - I'm usually a motrin person... haven't had tylenol in my house in a while.  Can you give me a brief idea of when to use the motrin and when to use the tylenol?  Thanks! 

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#49 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Addicted Member

By Dh's count, we just passed out 150 pieces of candy in less than an hour. 

My favorite costume of the night was a girl being kidnapped from her bed by an alien. It looked like the alien was standing behind her, with it's arms wrapped around her chest carrying her.

The girl's top half was dressed in pajamas, but she had fake legs sticking off her front dressed in the pajama bottoms. So the girl's real legs were the alien legs. The alien's head & must have been attached by a harness somehow.

AWESOME. And it was home made, which gets huge points in my book.

2nd favorite moment was a little 3ish y/o girl dressed like a witch. I was sitting on the front front porch steps, but she came up the driveway (instead of the porch walkway) and came up the side front porch steps. So she walked around behind me came around the side and looked at me and said "I'm HUNGRY." I figured she meant trick or treat, so I gave her candy. heh.

#50 of 50 Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Addicted Member

Oh man. 

My friend Kelly has 2 pugs, Milo and Carlos. I can't tell them apart unless they are together - think this is Milo. Poor thing.

Picture 1.png

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page