Tuesdat - 10.4 - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Greetings, all.

I'm a little late the party today.  Ahh well - better late than never, yes?

((((((((((( 30's hurty parts & family members going through stuff )))))))))))))))))))  Forgive me for the blanket hugs (gropes?), but I didn't want to list names and forget to mention someone.

I have a bit of a strange request to ask of you guys.  It's not for me in the least bit, but it's something I heard on the radio on the way in today.  There is a morning radio crew/show called The Bert Show. 

They're asked for help in doing something for our troops overseas.  Specifically, they're asking people to write a one page letter, in their own words, essentially thanking a service man for his/her service.  The letters will be packed and sent to individual service men, and they could be in any division of our armed forces, I believe.  The goal is to get the letters in within 3 weeks, so they can be repackaged and send out - so the troops receive them in time for Thanksgiving.   Their goal is to send 400,000 letters out.

As some of you may remember, I used one of those 'any soldier' websites a few years ago, and ended up becoming good friends with an army medic who was stationed in Afghanistan.  She and I actually met when she had a layover with her platoon (unit?) in Atlanta.  That was one of the most enjoyable things for me - knowing that she loved receiving letters from home, and even if it was just for a few minutes, she felt connected to her home lands.. 

These men and women are putting themselves in harm's way, and some will not see home for a long time.  Some also receive very little, if any, communication from friends and family while they're away.  I figure, I can take a few minutes of my day to write out a letter of appreciation :)

If you're so inclined to do the same, here is the website where you can send your letter to do the same:  http://thebertshow.com/the-bert-shows-big-thank-you/

Thanks for listening!  I now return you to your regularly scheduled program! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

((((((Kath, Moe, Prae, Kev)))) injury peeps.  I totally get the "don wanna run" stuff when you are having trouble...it's not all all motivating. 

I think  a QOD is developing here...what weird stuff do you have in purses, backpacks, wallets? 

mine is little slips of paper with stuff written on it--thoughts and bits of writings or poems or just stuff in general.

Easy recovery 4 today..but wow...warm!!!   My legs are still a little "tricky".  :) 

Hugs to all!!!  Totally gonna try and watch tonight, Brandy

LOVE IT, Ail!! 

#28 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

This is cool, we got quite a good review!

"Girl Hopping" at Oberon

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....

#29 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

hey-cow.jpg

sauconRunner likes this.
#30 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6

QOD - I cleaned out my backpack for my Tacoma trip a couple weeks back, so there's not a lot of extra stuff in there at the moment.  I have for whatever reason kept some KT Tape in there - not that I don't use it ever, but I usually only use it for marathon-distance races, and the last one I ran was Twin-Cities in 2010 (you can guess how long it's been in there heh)

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#31 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Special Member

WTG, Moe!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0

that cow is getting ready to tell me a story

QOD:  nothing really out of the ordinary because I tend to carry a small purse.  Calculator, ear plugs, hair net, safety glasses, camera, wallet, lip balms

#33 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Special Member

Excellent shout-out, Moe!

My back is cranky again.  I keep having to lie down, but it's better than it was so I'm trying to be positive.  I showed the x-ray to my classes today and for the most part, they were appropriately sympathetic.

I also finished sending out my job applications due this calendar year.  Only 14 so far, but I have a bit of hope for many of them.  And I'm telling you, all but four of them are within spitting distance of a 30!

"It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Praecipua in Pink
#34 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Likes Earned: 16

Nice work Moe!!!

#35 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

Not much excitement today, other than everyone has been commenting on my new haircut.  Yeah, I guess when you lose about 12" or so, people notice.

302283_2500208551582_1443978524_2986766_1884055647_n.jpg

Kris
#36 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Special Member

whoops!  Sorry that is so big, I just embedded the link to my FB photo and lately, KR has been making them smaller than that.

Kris
#37 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

Big long one. Get ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdatc View Post

How are you feeling today Kath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranegirl View Post

Kath--how are you doing? I've been thinking about you lately.

Back is still jacked up, but better than yesterday. And since my gut & cramps have calmed down, I can mostly block the back bs out. Except for the jabby pains, but still. A lot better than yesterday, thanks. Have another chiro apmt tomorrow at noon. Haven't back from doc yet about the script, but I did email him this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRG71 View Post

(((((Kath)))))

My throat is less stabby and more burny this morning, so that must mean it's getting better, right?

1) HUGS!!!! I like hugs.  smile.gif

2) uhoh2.gif    ((((((((NCRG)))))) feel better. and keep it to yourself please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post

Waiting until after GR - even though I'm having trouble motivating myself to get out for runs

I was teasing about trudging together. Obviously run your own race. If that means I get to run with you great. If not, no worries. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by praecipua View Post

Kath, if you're worse than I was, you have all my sympathy.

Thanks. I don't think our issues are comparable though. You have a freaking S curve going on!!! Yesterday was an unfortunate mix that was just too much for me to block out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield Hills View Post

((((       kath's back\gut     )))

Speaking of DS#1, this is what the closet organizer looks like.  The shelves in the tower portion are adjustable, and the lower portion will have drawers by the weekend.

IMG00096-20111003-1852.jpg

1) thank you for being gentle. smile.gif

2) I still want you to do that to my closets. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoonptdeux View Post

Maureen's post made me wonder if we should have a (in)flexibility comparison of sorts - I remember when my podiatrist was fitting me for orthotics, she had me lie on the table and then tested my legs for their flexibility.  She put up my right leg straight up as far as it could go without yanking me off the surface of the table and remarked "wow, not even 45 degrees."  The left leg did go slightly higher than the right, but she was pretty much confirming what I already knew - general muscle flexibility isn't a strong suit of mine.

Back when I worked at HF and had the Wellness program, part of the yearly evaluation was to sit on the floor on top of a tape measure, and then with your arms stretched out in front of you and keeping your legs straight out in front of you, you had to reach past your toes as far as you could, and they measured how far you could stretch.

That might be an easier test for us to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post

hey-cow.jpg

I WANT to pet that nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard73 View Post

Not much excitement today, other than everyone has been commenting on my new haircut.  Yeah, I guess when you lose about 12" or so, people notice.

302283_2500208551582_1443978524_2986766_1884055647_n.jpg

PRETTY!!!! Love it. Lots more body, eh?

#38 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2

Kris!  Wowzers!  Hot stuff! 

Congrats, Moe!

I just ran 6 miles faster than I wanted to.  It was a tough start, and I think once I felt comfortable I didn't pay attention to pace.  Eh, whatev. 

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#39 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Special Member

I love the new 'do, bard, but I was wondering if you had a "before" pic with 12" more hair.  Why does everyone else's hair seem to grow so much faster than mine?  I guess I could root around for a picture, but you typically wore it up, right?

I found a way to sit on my exercise ball for long periods of time without making my back cranky.  That makes me very happy!

Ok, not that I want oodles of sympathy, but I sent my x-ray pictures to my family, just so they know what's going on, and my brother responds that when he herniated a disk (which I'm not really sure I knew about), his x-rays looked much worse.  Really?  We're doing one-up-manship now?  Do sibling rivalries ever really end?  (In his defense, by the end of the e-mail, he did express sympathy and hoped that it got better soon, but still.)

Reading about child soldiers in Sierra Leone has sufficiently depressed me for the afternoon; I'm heading home for mindless romantic comedies and DVR'd programming.

"It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Praecipua in Pink
#40 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Addicted Member

QOD: mini swiss army knife, tape measure, lip stuff, tylanol. my purse is small, so i really don't carry a lot besides my wallet and sunglasses.

#41 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Addicted Member

I'm spicing plums. Smells pretty darn good in here.biggrin.gif

#42 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Special Member

Prae-  I did look around to see if I had a recent photo with my long hair down but I don't.  It was longer than it was in Philly.  It probably was more than 12" cut off, really.  Maybe 15?  It was well past mid-back.  I hadn't cut it in 2 years.

Kath- yep, more body although it still had a boost from mousse and a round brush when I blew it dry this morning. 

Kris
#43 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Addicted Member

I like it Bard!

#44 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Special Member

Really cute, Kris and very flattering. Wait, your hair grew 12 inches in 2 years????? tongue2.gif (closest i could come to green with envy.  i have lots of hair but it takes forever to grow) .

Prae--wow..those photos do not look good--hope you feel better, soon!

I thought I posted "Yay Moe" before, but maybe not, so Yay MOE

OH OH OH. Lora--I forgot to say!  Big G got me 'bad ass' socks.  They are actually pretty comfy.  :)

I'm still very tired from the weekend.  Who ran the marathon, again???  Weirdly, my shoulders hurt the worst.

A wee bit of bragging: for the 10 miler I was in the top 1/4 of my age group and for females :)  I also passed 387 people at the end. There was a tab with 'age adjusted' time, too...it said 1:25....????

what does that mean?

#45 of 45 Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27

Glad to hear there were no complications with your dad's surgery, Moe!

I saw you had a visitor today for cuddles, Kath?

Love your hair, Kris!  Mine doesn't grow fast so I'm as jealous as Melis is!

Flexibility - surprisingly I am pretty flexible.  Avery is ridiculously flexible..you can literally fold her in half without bending her legs!

QOD:  nothing good...I have a bag fetish so I change them too often to collect any good things!

So my neck is feeling better but not 100%.  I took muscle relaxers the night before last, yesterday and last night.  I am all caught up on sleep thanks to them and they have helped the neck a bit but I'm scared to run.  1.) sports bra can put pressure on my shoulders which are sore and 2.) I often feel it in my neck/shoulders after a run .  So I decided to wait another day and of course this morning was perfectly crisp and inviting :(  Oh well, I'm running tomorrow for sure, pain or not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page