Wet Monday - KickRunners.com

#1 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

POURING here. pffththt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranegirl View Post

Someone said "Duckie"?   :)   Speaking of Duckie and wood, it is another thing I miss about the PNW--everything being wood fired.

A bit of my wood-fired fun..... These went into the wood kiln unglazed, and all the ash flying around and the flashes of fire made them look like this...

e-WoodTurtles.jpg

biggrin.gif

I have elephants and wooly mammoths and acorns and pumpkins and pine cones too.

RIL, WOOHOO for your win, but that bites about the rest of the race wackiness.

sauconRunner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

morning all.

Slid down the lawn towards my car this morning in the rain, hydroplaned once, waved to Noah as he floated on by, had to park in the back parking lot with the big puddles at least I had a big umbrella.

Got a ton of stuff done this weekend so that was good. 

Love the turtles! 

BARD!!!  I'm going to make another flavor of lip butter this weekend so I will send both out at the same time. 

#3 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Oh, man, "I like turtles"  (I do, actually) . :D  Kath, I was JUST checking out your site last night and love love love the piggy banks and the kitty S&P shakers and the elephants. 

Did not get up in time to run this AM, so will be stuck shoving it in sometime today.  I hate it when I miss my alarm. It starts the whole day kinda flippy for me.

WOW BRANDY!!!!  Holy Cats! Nice PR! You are so fast!

Running Question:  Hey, how does one taper for a 10 miler? Or do you? 

How about Running QOD: Is there anything you do during a taper that happens every time or is unique to you?  I am an obsessive weather checker.  I know everyone does this, but I'm ridiculous about it. I've just come to accept that's how I am, and let myself do it because I think that's how I deal with anxiety about the rest of the run. 

Sherpa C went to Jane's Addiction in Chicago and got front row..uh..seats and met the band.  His pictures/videos are ridiculous.  Had a great time, but he's not super happy today.  ;)

#4 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

Kath - what great turtles!  I am thinking about ordering some elephants for my mom and pine cones for my sister.  They would love them!

We've got some fast wimmins here!  biggrin.gif

Wippy made me snicker out loud at my desk.

QOD - I got nuthin.  I'm not fast or good enough to taper.

There was lotsa fun in the NCRG house this weekend.  First, I found an amazingly old newspaper in the rubble of our kitchen demo.  From 1896!  That was super cool. 

Then Saturday night, BOTH dogs got skunked.  It was awful.  Eyewateringly, gaggingly awful.  Good times, good times.

Good to see KP and T are back.

Happy Monday to all!

#5 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Likes Given: 5

Morning.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#6 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

wave.gif  Morning.

Yup, as Wippy said, it is crazy rainy here.  Wip, am I too late to get in on the lip balm action?

Kath - cool turtles.  Do you have a separate kiln for wood or do you use the same one? 

Melis - I would taper for the 10 miler you have been training for.  The extent of the taper will depend on your training load.  But, I would get extra sleep this week and take an extra day or two off to make sure you are rested and recovered.  I would also do a mini carbo load the 2 days before the race.  I obsess over the weather too.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that - it seems it is just a way to channel upcoming-race jitters.  Looks like you should have some great weather too, BTW!  Yay!

Rest day for me.

Awesomeness:  DH told me I looked beautiful this morning and when I got into work, a coworker told me my hair looked beautiful.  Really?  Thanks!  What a lovely way to start the day.  It affirms why I am a true believer in speaking up and complimenting someone when you think it - it really does make someone's day.

May not be fun:  GOTR tonight.  If it is raining/storming, we'll have to be inside for at least part of the time.  17 FIRED up girls inside = crazy.  Hopefully we can rein them in some!

Excited, excited, excited for Twin Cities this weekend!!  Go Cindi and Melis.  Who else is doing it?  Anyone?

#7 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

Twin Cities - Nettie and BigG are running the full as well :)

Lifting last night was TEH SUCK.  wow..the nap didn't revive me enough. It is however the last lift before the marathon so I did what I could. 

recovery miles tonight.

Rain -   We gots none...

Melis - yeah taper

#8 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Morning all!  Totally meant to post this weekend (I did read but don't like making a big post from my phone) but there was a lot going on.  The Fifth Ave Mile went exactly as I expected: sucky but motivating.  The elite races did not disappoint either, amazing talent out there with Americans winning both the men (Bernard Lagat) and women's (Jenny Simpson) races.  I need to write up a full recap of the show I participated in later on Saturday, ENDURE Run.Woman.Show.   ...simply awesome!!!  I wish you all lived here and could go to see it for yourselves!!   Yesterday I tagged along to J's NJ kickball game and then spent a good chunk of time wandering around Hoboken, NJ checking out all my old haunts and seeing what the music & arts festival offered.  

Congratulations Mindi & Brandy!!   Really nice racing!!

Welcome back home, Moonie

Shannon –that’s so cool!  I was seriously obsessed with This Old House for the longest time and loved when they would unearth some piece of history like that

QOD - nothing out of the ordinary, I try to sleep more and often sleep the same.  I have started taking a nice, relaxing bath 2 nights before a big race or an early one on the night before and find it's a good time to recount my training, relax and visualize the miles to come.

#9 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Special Member

MELIS - I just got an e-mail that Skirt Sports has their gym girl skirt 50% off today for certain colors.  Maybe your friend can afford one with the sale.  Check it out!

0926-top.jpg

#10 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6

G'morning all - one-hour's worth of my cardio/strength combo workout that I've been into of late.  Built up a good sweat while doing it, so I figure it was a good workout.  Got in some grocery shopping and tested out my new manual coffee bean grinder (worked like a charm, and it's perfect for taking on future camping trips)

Also baked up some apple-zucchini muffins with my niece providing help (she's a budding chef and/or baker in the making) - they're pretty darn good!  First time I had cloves in a recipe before - I think that plus the nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon zest really give these muffins some bang for the buck.  Substituted one cup of white flour for wheat flour also and I think that helped out too.  Next time I'll add some walnuts and it should be perfect.

I heard the marathon record was bested again in Berlin yesterday - makes you wonder if a sub 2-hour marathon is at all possible

Mindi - congrats on the win!  But yeah, that race just sounds about as clusterfvckish as you can have it

Oooh, a nice contingent for Twin Cities - gives me more motivation to get back up to the distance again.

Shannon - love when you stumble upon little bits of history like that.

QOD - I typically sleep horribly before races.  Then I discovered I can sleep well if my mind is convinced there is nothing big and/or important about the race the next day.  The trick I guess is to learn how to convince my brain that none of my races are that big/important (easier said than done haha)

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#11 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 AM

QOD: I gots nuthin.

One of the cupcake trucks on campus has this flavor:  The Chocolate Oink, a chocolate cupcake with whipped cream center, maple icing topped with candied bacon.

My temp roommate has ignored all of my requests to talk to him about when he's moving out, to the point where I asked if we could talk yesterday morning, and he didn't even come home on Sat night (and I firmly believe this was to avoid talking to me, since he always comes home.)  I have tried to call, txt, and left notes, asking to talk.  I wanted to set a date and initially told him Oct 31 (in a note), but that was before my father was diagnosed and I wanted to discuss an earlier date if possible, since I want my father to be able to stay with me if he needs to.  Nothing.  Not even an acknowledgment of my messages.  Mind you, he also never paid me any rent this month.  I keep hearing from friends that he's told them he's really not doing well, etc...but HELLO????  Um, it's not like I've had the best summer evah, either, my friend!  Gees, I could have used a little friendship myself...and I CLEARLY do not need this aggravation now. I'm so tired of mincing around my own place, wondering if he's home and feeling uncomfortable.  He NEVER comes out of his room, never eats or cooks at home, only ever uses the bathroom (which he's never cleaned and never even bought TP)...it's just awkward, and it's MY home, I was doing him a favor.

I told him in a note taped to his door this morning, since he's never responded at all, I assume he will be out Sept 30, by 5pm, and if he isn't, I'm moving his stuff to the sidewalk.  And that he owes me rent.  SIGH. 

Can you imagine having to do this with an ADULT???  Unbelievable. I did a friend a favor and this is what I get for it.  Worst of all...you KNOW I'm going to look like the bad guy in all of this.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#12 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Special Member

Thanks Moonie.  It is funny b/c I often sleep like crap before tune-up races, but always seem to sleep like a baby the night before my key marathons.  I guess by that point, I have already thought about / obessed about everything with the race and can just shut it off.  But I am always surprised that I seem to have no trouble falling asleep before a key marathon, even if in some random hotel room by myself, etc.  Weird.

QOD 2:  Have you ever worn racing flats during a marathon?  I haven't.  I usually wear my regular trainers.  But I am tossing around the idea of wearing my racers this time.

#13 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Moe View Post

QOD: I gots nuthin.

One of the cupcake trucks on campus has this flavor:  The Chocolate Oink, a chocolate cupcake with whipped cream center, maple icing topped with candied bacon.

My temp roommate has ignored all of my requests to talk to him about when he's moving out, to the point where I asked if we could talk yesterday morning, and he didn't even come home on Sat night (and I firmly believe this was to avoid talking to me, since he always comes home.)  I have tried to call, txt, and left notes, asking to talk.  I wanted to set a date and initially told him Oct 31 (in a note), but that was before my father was diagnosed and I wanted to discuss an earlier date if possible, since I want my father to be able to stay with me if he needs to.  Nothing.  Not even an acknowledgment of my messages.  Mind you, he also never paid me any rent this month.  I keep hearing from friends that he's told them he's really not doing well, etc...but HELLO????  Um, it's not like I've had the best summer evah, either, my friend!  Gees, I could have used a little friendship myself...and I CLEARLY do not need this aggravation now. I'm so tired of mincing around my own place, wondering if he's home and feeling uncomfortable.  He NEVER comes out of his room, never eats or cooks at home, only ever uses the bathroom (which he's never cleaned and never even bought TP)...it's just awkward, and it's MY home, I was doing him a favor.

I told him in a note taped to his door this morning, since he's never responded at all, I assume he will be out Sept 30, by 5pm, and if he isn't, I'm moving his stuff to the sidewalk.  And that he owes me rent.  SIGH. 

Can you imagine having to do this with an ADULT???  Unbelievable. I did a friend a favor and this is what I get for it.  Worst of all...you KNOW I'm going to look like the bad guy in all of this.

Wow.  That is complete BS.  I think you are doing the right thing though.  You don't need this crap in your life and obviously he is taking advantage of the situation.  Get him out as soon as possible.

#14 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Special Member

Moe - wth?

#15 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

Moe - wth?

I have no idea.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#16 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Special Member

me thinks you need to get his family and/or friends over and sit his pyscho butt down

#17 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Addicted Member

Maureen - that's simply not acceptable.  As an adult, this person needs to take some responsibility in, at the very very least, responding or acknowledging receipt of your messages.  

QOD2 - no, not yet but I have flirted w/the idea.

#18 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Addicted Member

#19 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Special Member

QOD: I can't sleep, I have phantom pains, I have race morning not ready nightmares

QOD2: given how bad my foot is, no.  I don't own a pair of flats  SW suggested them last time I was in but given the proximity of the marathon, we opted not to do them yet.

#20 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

It is wet and dreary here, like much of the state.  There are a lot of students who clearly did not check the weather forecast before venturing forth.  One was completely soaked from head to toe and grabbed something to stick under him before sitting on my chair, and in the ladies room just now, someone hung up a wet jacket, socks, and shoes on the coat hooks.  lol.gif

I got in a bit of a walk last night around my neighborhood, probably about 2.5 miles.  I brought my running gear to work today, probably will have to run indoors at the rec center.  I don't mind running in rain if it starts when I'm already out and about, but I don't love it (neither does my Raynauds).

QOD-  mostly I just run less and at an easy pace.  No special food or sleep considerations, other than the pasta dinner on the night before.  It might be a bigger deal for the full marathon than the half-marathon, though. 

QOD2- I don't think racing flats are likely to be good for me.  I wear motion control shoes (Brooks Addiction are what I've mostly worn).  Besides, I'm not fast enough to worry about how much my heavier shoes are slowing me down from a BQ or anything.

Moe-  that's kinda messed up.  I suggest asking your landlords if you can also change the locks, even if he does move out without you resorting to dumping his stuff on the lawn.

Kris
#21 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Likes Earned: 11

Hey friends!!

So I never got to hang out with Diane this weekend.  Colin came down with the funk Aiden had and DH was working Sat so no way I could drag a sick baby out.  I am still bummed about it!!  And Aiden still wasn't 100% so Sat was a very trying day!!  Ended with a nice glass of wine and some shows on the DVR so that was nice (except WTF Always Sunny...you are 0 for 2 so far this season!!).

Moe I had a very similar situation years back.  And I did the same thing, I ended up essentially putting an eviction notice on my roomies bedroom door.  It was ridiculous.  So sorry you are going through that!

Moonie the muffins sounds yumtastic!!!!!!

I have to go back and read the weekend thread to see what was up with all the fast wimmins :-)

Oh Brandy, meant to comment on your possible gall bladder issue...I had similar symptoms for over a year, many many trips to the ER and just a general crappiness.  Everyone was convinced it was my gall bladder but after an ultrasound where no stones were found, they moved on to other ideas.  In the end, it was my gallbladder.  I didn't have stones but it just stopped working.  Apparently this isn't the most common GB issue but isn't too rare either.  They told me removal only gave me a 50/50 chance of helping but it did for me.  Hope you feel better!

Ok, back to work, might try to sneak out early to get a run in before I pick up the kids!!

#22 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10

QOD2:  There are other (faster, better, more experienced) marathoners than me that can give more valued advice, but my thought -- and my knowledge from working at the running store -- is that unless you are used to the minimal drop and minimal cushioning of the racing flats in a run as long as the marathon, racing a marathon in flats could be VERY uncomfortable.  My coach, a 2:29 marathoner, and a few others I know, don't wear racing flats because it beats up their feet over the 26.2 miles.  Just a consideration.  If you've worn them in long runs and like them, then don't listen to me :)  I think JenRuns used to wear hers in the marathon, right? 

Congrats to the weekend racers!  Nice work! 

Got a solid 18 miler done yesterday around the Art Museun loop and then worked at the running store.  A FULL day of running stuffs! 

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#23 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Greetings, all.

Wow.. i've been meaning to post since this morning, but it's been a bit of a zoo today at work.  Hopefully as soon as one client moves to a different workstation and calls me back, I can get some much needed lunch!

Kath: OMG!  those are my favorites of all the turtles you've made so far.  /lublublub em!

Wippy - I almost had to clean water off my laptop with your Noah comment ;)  Wish you could send some of that rain my way.  We're painfully short on rain this year. 

Qod:  Uh. I have nothing to offer, since I had to ask for my own taper advice :)  I do think some rest and reduction in weekly miles is good, though.

Qod2:  LOL.. I never have used a pair of racing shoes... always trainers.  I consider racers for fast people, and I certainly do not meet those qualifications.

Maureen:  cupcake:  ya had me until the candied bacon.  Does.  Not.  compute.   As far your roommate, good grief, what a douchecanoe.  I understand that life is hard, but under no circumstances is it okay to take advantage of someone's kindness and hospitality.  Not cool at all.  Be ready to have the locks changed on the house, if he doesn't move his stuff voluntarily.   From a legal standpoint, you might want to box up his stuff and put it in storage (even if storage is a friend's house that he doesn't know about.)  If nothing else, that might offer a better chance at getting back-rent.

#24 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

Hey, everyone.  After a week of taking it really easy, I think I'm ready to get back out there for a halfway decent run tonight.  Still nothing terribly intense, but maybe an hour or so...

Moe, that's really weird.  I don't think you need to worry about being "the bad guy" in this situation.  Anybody who hears your side of the story couldn't possibly think that...

QOD1:  I can't think of anything special I do during taper time. 

QOD2:  Nope, I run all my races in the same shoes I train in.  I try to use the pair with the fewest miles, but there's nothing special about them.

I guess that's all...

#25 of 48 Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Maureen, that bites.  And it sounds an awful lot like what my younger sister does to people.  She did it to me. 

Nice work on the races this weekend!

I did 10k on saturday and 16k yesterday.  And I ended my run yesterday with a jump in my pool.  I can't believe I can still get in this time of year.  The weather here has been amazing lately.  Usually we have the pool drained and closed up by now.

Friday was my 5th wedding anniverary.  DH and I went to supper and a movie.  Then I brought my wedding dress out to show the girls.  They thought it was awesome.  I tried it on and I'm happy to say that after 5 years and two babies it still fits!  biggrin.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page