Thankgoodness it's Thursday 09/22/2011 - Page 3 - KickRunners.com

#51 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Bard - Woohoo for Granpa!

This ice cream talk is so not fair.  I am now back from the dentist after having a cavity filled.  I'm hungry, I'm already having issues trying not to drool as I look down on my keyboard, while my mouth is still numb from the procedure.  Thinking about ice cream is NOT helping the drool factor, people!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#52 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranegirl View Post

Sometimes the toughest part of grief, Kath, is handling everyone else's reactions aside from your own.  :(

Has anyone else been eating a lot lately? Sheesh. I'm just a pig and it's starting to show in my pants. Time to turn the chow wagon around.

1) Dude. 

2) No. I've lost 7 lbs in the last 10 days. My pants are saggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningINnyc View Post

Kris - great news about grandpa!

Ditto!!!

#53 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

Yes, Ke$sha sucks.  just so bad on all levels...she is a punishment for something. I'll ask Michelle Bachmann what it is for.

*snort*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Moe View Post

You people are crazy.  Raisins are the Devil's Fruit.  You can ask Michelle Bachmann about that too. 

*double snort*

I absolutely love raisins....cinnamon raisin bread/bagels, oatmeal raisin cookies, raisin/date/walnut cereal......it's all good.  Nom nom nom.

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#54 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

(((((Kath)))))  sad.gif

Would it help if I offered to eat *for* you?  I'm really good at that.... 

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#55 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

Kath, I found your 7 lbs (and apparently Mindi's 12)...think I can send them back Express Mail?

In that vein...I just ate a veggie wrap from downstairs. It was ok.  VERY filling...which I suppose is good since it was one of the nutrition program offerings, under 500 cals.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#56 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6

Hi all - brief check in here.  I'm going to be buried up to my eyeballs in work the last day and a half here in the Pacific NW.  I just hope I don't forget the minor details.

QOD - My brain is too fried to have to make a choice right now - it's probably more in the state of oooh...ice cream...eat!

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#57 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 0

Man, I am in a pissy mood today.  I don't even want to be around me.  surprised.gif

Maybe I need some ice cream.

#58 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Quote:

Missy and Theia:  the heels actually HELPED my back, it was the flats that were making it worse!

Right, I got that.  My response was based on your comment that your flats were cute and pricey and you wanted to keep wearing them.   :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningINnyc View Post

Missy – I adore your new avatar!!

Me too me too me too! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichel View Post

I'm eating 9 oz of steamed broccoli and 3 oz of chicken and trying to pretend it's as good as ice cream...

Ha!  My salad is insufficient as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRG71 View Post

Man, I am in a pissy mood today.  I don't even want to be around me.  surprised.gif

Ice cream ALWAYS helps. 

#59 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

((((Shannon)))))

Great news on your grandpa Bard!

I just had the most wonderful lunch with 2 girlsfriends.  Hanging out with nice people is so good for the soul.  Kath - I highly recommend it for you these days.  May lift your spirits a tiny bit.

#60 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Special Member

Shoot!  I knew I was forgetting something.

Yay for good news about your grandfather, Bard!  So glad to hear it. 

#61 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27

Hugs to everyone... 

QOD:  Not a huge ice cream person.  Typically choose butter pecan or anything with nuts and carmel...OR cotton candy if it really tastes like cotton candy...

That's all...I've got nothing else to say but that I'm happy to have some time to be on here again.

#62 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Special Member

It's good to see you Sauconhello.gif

sauconRunner likes this.
#63 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRG71 View Post

.. and a stabby shirt!!!! :)

#64 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauconRunner View Post

QOD:  Not a huge ice cream person.  Typically choose butter pecan or anything with nuts and carmel...OR cotton candy if it really tastes like cotton candy...

Funny story about cotton candy ice cream:  My sis and I took her kids for ice cream last summer and when we asked Maddie what flavor she wanted, she said "PINK."  So...we ordered her cotton candy.

Turns out, cotton candy ice cream, at least at this place, was blue, not pink.  oops.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#65 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Special Member

This is a highly embarrassing question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is anyone else struggling with debt?  I mean, can't get ahead despite earning a fairly decent salary?  Please tell me it's not just me.  I am doing the best I can, and yet I not only NEVER get ahead, but I seem to be falling farther behind.  I just don't understand it.  It's not like I'm freaking Carrie Bradshaw buying $400 shoes every week.  Why the heck is this so hard???

#66 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

Quote:

.. and a stabby shirt!!!! :)

biggrin.gif

and a glass of wine!

#67 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
QOD: My favorite ice cream is whatever my daughter and I made together most recently. Right now, that's an apple pie flavor, with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and Graham crackers...
#68 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

Is anyone else struggling with debt?  I mean, can't get ahead despite earning a fairly decent salary?  Please tell me it's not just me.  I am doing the best I can, and yet I not only NEVER get ahead, but I seem to be falling farther behind.  I just don't understand it.  It's not like I'm freaking Carrie Bradshaw buying $400 shoes every week.  Why the heck is this so hard???

It's not just you.

#69 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21

(((NRCG))) heres hoping good mood finds you soon!

hi moonie and heather.

yay for bards' gramps!

ooohhh. i understand moe. yeah, i'm a flats type of girl these days.

(((katho))

theia, i'm sorry you're struggling with debt/ finances. and not to sound cheesy or make light of your situ, but you're rich in love :)

#70 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

Oh sister, if you only knew.  Not that I'm on a ramen noodle diet, but it seems that as soon as I start getting ahead, something else comes up.  HIGH power bill (Yeowwwch!), car work, pet stuff, dental work.. blah blah blah.  The cost of everything is higher now, and my income certainly isn't changing at the same rate.

Of course, when I do stuff on impulse... ahem... like when I just now signed up for the women's half marathon in Minnesota next year... that doesn't help, but sometimes you come across good deals that are too nice to pass up :) 

#71 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

I've never heard of this one!!

Yippee!!!  Ailarie is coming to MN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

Of course, when I do stuff on impulse... ahem... like when I just now signed up for the women's half marathon in Minnesota next year... that doesn't help, but sometimes you come across good deals that are too nice to pass up :) 

#72 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Theia, it's definitely not just you.

DW and I chose to forgo money opportunities in favor of lower stress, lower consumption, more time together and with our kids.  Some things that DW & I do to stave off money issues:

Run cars into the ground.  We usually go 10+ years with vehicles. We up the deductible and don't fix dents.

Use the library.  We never buy books, even though we love them. 

When tight on money the cable tv/sat is the first to go.  This one hurts!

Cheapest internet service available.

One credit card.  No department store credit.  No gas cards.

Use Mint.com or something similar to track your spending by category.

Avoid restaurants whenever possible. I do sometimes have to grab lunch on the run and my usual is $3 at McD's; Lg drink, side salad (ginger dressing is good!), McChicken, hold the mayo.

Try to keep utilities (gas/electric) as low as reasonably possible. 

Pretty normal stuff I guess, but we feel like we need to be constantly vigilant to get where we want to be financially since we're not willing to put in the work to make the big bucks.

BigGahoona likes this.
#73 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27

Quote:

Funny story about cotton candy ice cream:  My sis and I took her kids for ice cream last summer and when we asked Maddie what flavor she wanted, she said "PINK."  So...we ordered her cotton candy.

Turns out, cotton candy ice cream, at least at this place, was blue, not pink.  oops.

OH NO!!!  Was she upset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBob View Post

QOD: My favorite ice cream is whatever my daughter and I made together most recently. Right now, that's an apple pie flavor, with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and Graham crackers...

Avery's first assignment for 2nd grade was to make a new flavor of ice cream.  We went to Fresh Market and bought all kinds of fillers and then she picked rainbow sherbert ice cream.  She said it was great, Mike said it was gross...I was out of town for work so didn't get to participate.

#74 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Special Member

Thank you guys.  I know logically it's not just me, given the still-crappy state of our economy, but it's so frustrating!!!  I don't think I'm an extragavant person.  I did only two races this summer because they're so expensive, and for one of them I volunteered at an expo for 4 hours so that I could get half price off my registration!  Were there other races I wanted to do?  Of course.  Like Duck, I make cars last 8-9 years at least.  We don't eat at the most expensive restaurants, and when we do get takeout it's salads or something equally boring and cheap.  I live on salads, pasta, and veggies.  (I would love to buy and cook fish every week, but who can afford that?)  I haven't shopped for myself in months, and very sadly all my charitable donations are way down this year.  I refinanced the house last year and am paying 5% now.  I completely paid off my highest interest credit card and chopped it into pieces so that I can't ever use it again. 

It just never gets better.  I guess I need to do some research to make sure I'm getting the best possible deals on trash/recycling, cable, etc....   Even that seems like it won't be nearly enough to get out of this hole I seem to be in. 

Who said something about wine???   Pass it this way.

And I don't even drink!   biggrin.gif

#75 of 87 Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Blah.  Money woes suck.  Sorry to hear you are stressed, Theia.  I am financially in good shape now, but I have certainly been there and can empathize.  The best move DH and I made financially was not changing our lifestyle when we made the switch from 1 salary (I was a SAHM) to 2 a few years ago. 

In other news, I think I am going to pencil in that MN half next summer that Ailarie posted.  We need to start a team!!  Woot.

Best news of the day for me:  I am scheduled to run my last tune-up 10K this weekend.  I was planning to run the Zoo Run Run, but was kind of dreading it because the course sucks.  So mentally it is always tough for me even when I have a good race there (it goes through the UW Arboretum and there are a ton of different races that use the same course).  But I just found out there is a new race on Sunday for the Make-A-Wish foundation that includes a 10K!  The course looks a little better (although I am concerned about getting stuck behind charity walkers on my way toward the finish) and it is a great cause!! 

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page