Tuesday Move it Move it! 3/29 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

I am heading out soon.  Scheduled for 6 recovery am/ 4 recovery pm.  But I woke up remembering I have GOTR tonight and I know I will not be up for running afterwards (I want to see my boys!).  So I'll probably just log 10 this morning.  Or switch some things around a bit.  We'll see.....

Have a strong day, friends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

I think I'll hit the park for a few miles tonight before I have to pick up the kiddo.  Looks like it'll be a decent day, I think...

#3 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

Morning Gang -

Don't you run at GOTR Mindi?  Or are you just doing classroom stuff?

I got 5.75 miles done with a 30 minute tempo mixed in.  Felt good.  Crazy busy work day today, so glad I got a good workout in.

#4 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I run some at GOTR, but it is not like a workout.  In the very beginning of the season, we are just getting them moving a bit at a time, so it is not like they are taking off and running a couple of miles at a time (they will in a few weeks).  But even when they are running a lot, if I am leading the group that day, I am doing more directing them around and giving out lap counters, etc. rather than running the whole time.

#5 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

4 on the tm. yoga tonight if I can get out of work early enough.

#6 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20

morning all,

Track workout day for me...I may go over lunch.  I need 10 miles w/ 6 x 1200m at 5K pace.  Hope I don't puke!

#7 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Woot - 11 glorious (yet easy) miles for me.  It was 22 degrees with a beautiful, colorful sunrise this morning.

Good luck with those intervals Timr.  You really are a machine these days!  I look forward to seeing how Flying Pig turns out for you - I have a feeling you are teeing up a terrific race.

#8 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20

morning

5.7 or something last night at a pretty good pace (for me).  Weather was beautiful

Tonight is our last night at the Dome and coach has a surprise for us.  I'm scared.

#9 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28

BodyVive class and a little extra time on the elliptical for me.

I'm about to be eaten alive by work now.   It was nice knowing all of you :)

Don't believe everything you think
#10 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Morning all!   I didn't end up doing much of anything yesterday although I'm not feeling very sore at all.  Today I'll take my sister's dog out for a nice long walk + get some easy miles in around the park near my parent's home. 

Tim - good luck, 1200s are tough!

Amy - hope it's not as bad as you fear; unrelated - how are you feeling after your 10 over the weekend?

#11 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0

What a difference in my last two runs.  On Friday morning I ran 3 miles for the first time in about 3 years.  It was a great run for me and I felt good at the end.  Today I had another 3 miler scheduled.  I made it..............just.  It was a struggle from step one.  I think today was more of a mental battle than a physical one.  I dip back to two miles on Thursday before taking another big step forward (for me) with 4 on Saturday.  

I have to mentally win the battle for this 10k.  I'm such a perfectionist at times and that can be a very negative thing.  Each time I run it seems my mind is telling me how horrible my 10k time will be.  And true if I don't improve in the next month it will be a horrific time.  But the flip side is- so what?  The goal is to complete the 6.2 with the time being secondary.  I keep trying to convince myself that I need to be patient and that with a full month of solid running still to go that I will improve between now and April 30th.  

One of the major benefits of my best year of 2008 was the mental victories.  Simply not giving up sometimes trumps the worst of paces.  Gotta stay focused and be positive.  I'm not going to be in peak condition overnight.  I'm not going to lose weight over night.  I'm not going to be ready for the 10k overnight.  I just have to be consistent and win the little battles every day.   I shudder to think what a difference in my life there would be if I were consistent and disciplined!

#12 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr1 View Post

.... 10 miles w/ 6 x 1200m at 5K pace......

notworthy.gif

#13 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

5 cold miles this morning.  Really hope things warm up soon.  Off to baseball this afternoon.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#14 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Maples - good luck.  I was actually just thinking this morning how I could use some more "mental sharpening" for my upcoming goal race.  The mental aspect is such a huge part of training and races.  Strong running and racing mojo vibes coming your way.  You are doing a great job - keep it up.

#15 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19

RIL brings up a good point.  so, QOD - What is your mantra? What is the short phrase that you say to yourself when things are getting tough during a workout or a race?

#16 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

QOD-  sometimes Dori pops into my head.  "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."  Otherwise, no mantra.  I just pick a point in the distance and tell myself I have to at least run that far before I can walk.  Then when I get close, I pick a new point.  I keep doing that until I physically need to walk (if at all).  Other times, especially in the later parts of an HM, I equate the remaining distance to one of my short run routes that I know are pretty easy.

Kris
#17 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

QOD - when my kids were smaller and I ran with them in the double stroller, they would "help" me by saying Go Mommy Go, Go Mommy Go and even though it's been years since we did that together, if I'm reaching a tough spot, I can still hear it in my head.  It helps tremendously!  smile.gif

#18 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Special Member

WOW!!!

A friend of mine won the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon on Sunday (brutally hilly course and a cold, windy day) in 1:24:17.  I knew she won, but I just learned it was a PR by 2 minutes and a new state age group record by 3+ minutes!   And her first time competing as a master!  Holy carp!!!  Plus another friend won the Phillies 5K on Saturday AND the Caesar Rodney 5K on Sunday (first woman in both races).  Clearly, I need to find slower friends.  biggrin.gif

QOD: It depends on what I'm doing.  During track workouts when I know I'm hitting my pace but still have a lap or two to go (like during 1200s or 1600s), I repeat to myself, "Just hang on.  Just hang on."   Or I make up new cuss words and threats for Coach IronEx.  Could go either way.  smile.gif   During long runs I do math equations in my head.  I do fractions (I'm 1/5 of the way done, I'm 3/8 of the way done) or try to figure out my pace (if I keep this pace up, I'll be done in 25 more minutes). 

(Edited to give her specific time instead of 1:24:xx.)

#19 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19

Wow Theia!  Congrats to your friends!

QOD - My mantra changes a bit.  Right now I remind myself "It's only pain"  Pain goes away but the feeling of achieving something lives forever!

#20 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdatc View Post

Right now I remind myself "It's only pain"  Pain goes away but the feeling of achieving something lives forever!

Love it.

#21 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

QOD:  Mine also depends on the time/place/and how well my day is going. 

If I am within range of my goal, I like to remind myself once it starts really hurting that I did not train this **** hard for this **** long to wimp out now - GO!  I also like to remind myself that it is only a few more minutes of pain and I will be glad I pushed harder to get through.

If I am bombing in a race and just trying to finish - I remind myself that I do not DNF - just keep moving.  Unfortunately I had several of those last year.

Tough times in workouts - I tell myself it is ok.  It is just a workout.  I'd rather have a crap training season and a great race than vice versa - just keep putting in the work and the results will follow.

#22 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

QOD - I have a few mantras depending on the circumstances of the race but one that's worked well for me esp. in last March's HM was "relax, breathe, move" 

#23 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

QOD:  I don't have a mantra, I guess.  I just like to run.  And check states off my marathon mapbiggrin.gif

#24 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Evelyn was awake this morning when I headed out for my run (everyone is usually asleep) so I packed her into the stroller and took her with me.  I took Lena out the other day and last week I had both of them in there.  I couldn't believe how much easier it was to run with just Evelyn!  Then I did some quick calculations.  With both kids and the stroller I'm pushing an extra 100 lbs!  That should be good for hill training!

QOD:  When I'm struggling up a hill or whatever, I always think about the Biggest Loser.  I imagine Bob or Jillian in my head, hollering at me, telling me to get my ass in gear.  I think about all those contestants when they first start on the show, how they're so overweight and yet they push it way beyond any limit they ever thought possible.  And I keep going.

#25 of 35 Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6

Got in 3.75 mi of walking yesterday, including a walk up Nob Hill to get to Coit Tower.  All this hill walking makes me want to tackle some of the Top Eleven Steepest Streets of San Francisco one of these days

QOD - often depends on what's going through my mind at the time, and as to whether its a training run or a race.  I'm sort of a McGyver of motivation - I'll use just about anything biggrin.gif

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page