Clean Eating Jump Start / Cleanse - KickRunners.com

#1 of 113 Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

In yesterday's FUN thread several of us got going on the topic of feeling listless, run down and/or really needing something to help reset our systems along a healthier path and away from cravings for salty, sugary and possibly processed foods.    Ideally this is a way of life but we all need somewhere to start and it's easy to fall off this path and get stuck in ruts.

And in that a challenge was born!

Although we're lying out some parameters, the challenge is completely up to you, there is no right or wrong. We'll be here supporting one another and reporting in for the coming work week (Monday-Friday) to see how everyone is doing.  Think of this as a cleanse for the inside & out of your body and imagine how grateful it will be enjoying clean sources of energy and rewarding you with easier work days, more spark in your workouts, and a solid path along which to continue.  

Parameters:

- Try to eat all or as much of your food as it comes from the earth, in it's natural form.  Veggies, fruits, whole grains (rice, quinoa, oats, etc).  

- Try to eliminate sugar (outside of that coming naturally in fruits)

- Try to eliminate or restrict caffeine

- Try to eliminate processed cereals, no frozen meals

- No eggs, red meat, cheese or yogurt, limit milk to inclusion in recovery drink(s)/smoothies

- Keep condiments simple (salad dressings as olive oil & vinegar/simple vinaigrette)

- No alcohol

Challenge yourself!  Use foods in ways you may not be comfortable, think of protein sources coming from vegetable sources and seafood (or chicken).   Spend extra time at the grocery store and/or local farmers markets buying what's in season and finding ways to enjoy it.  

If you are up for the challenge, come back here often and share your thoughts, meals, progress.  Inspire others!   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 113 Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Interesting - why no eggs, red meat, cheese or yogurt?

I think eggs are power food.  Am I missing something?

Also, I think red meat, cheese and yogurt should be limited if possible (although I am an extra sharp cheddar addict), but I think there is a real place for all of them.  Especially red meat if we are runners to avoid anemia. 

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning for all of the parameters.  :)  Educate me.

And thanks for starting this.  After a day in the half in the Dells, I am definitely feeling the need for it.  Although since we are going out tonight (mmm bbq), my challenge will start Sunday.

#3 of 113 Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
I'm reading this at 2pm on a Saturday (the day before running a full marathon) while I'm sitting at a bar eating a turkey sandwich (okay, not too bad) with potato chips and two beers. I need help.

#4 of 113 Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

how long are we doing the challenge?

#5 of 113 Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBob View Post

I'm reading this at 2pm on a Saturday (the day before running a full marathon) while I'm sitting at a bar eating a turkey sandwich (okay, not too bad) with potato chips and two beers. I need help.

that's OK boB.  I ran 20 miles this morning, came home starving and had pizza and chocolate milk for lunch.  oh well.  I'm doing better with diet during the week though.  

#6 of 113 Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10

I'm ready!    Loaded up on lots of fruits and veggies at the store after work today.  I'm going all-in on this, I think.  I'm doing all from-the-earth (as far as I know).  I'm not going to do chicken or seafood for the duration of this week.  The only exception will be skim milk in my smoothie.  I was going to do almond milk or soy milk, but when I read the labels there were things I didn't recognize in the ingredients, so I'm sticking with cow's milk. 

No sugar, no meats.

I will use basic salad dressings (balsamic or raspberry viniagrette -- and yes, there may be some sugar in those, but so be it), and I'll likely use soy sauce on my veggie stir-fry at some point this week.  I may also drink Tropicana orange juice -- it's 100% oj according to the label. 

I'm quitting coffee and tea for the week, mainly because I like sugar in those.  No sugar = no coffee/tea for me.

The HARDEST part of this, for me, will be dessert.  I love to have a piece of dark chocolate or something sweet after every meal.  I've got strawberries, etc, for this week, but it's just not the same.  :)

Runnin -- I'm not sure there are any steadfast rules or reasons behind any of this.  When Maria said she wanted to eat simpler/cleaner/however she put it in a thread last week, I challenged her to do just that.  From that exchange, this idea was born.  For me, I'm looking to do sort of like a detox.  There's nothing wrong with chicken or yogurt or eggs, for that matter, in my eyes -- but the challenge of eating that which grows naturally from the land seems intriguing for me.  Will I go back to those other things after this week?  Likely.  But if I kept all that in my diet -- especially the cheese/yogurt part, I think I'd lose the effect, and I'd feel too much like I'd allow other things in, too. 

I'd say to you, or anyone -- set your own parameters here.  But then report to us what you're doing and how you're feeling!  :)   

Maria, you ready???  :)

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#7 of 113 Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Mindi - totally what Lora said, nothing wrong with any of those items.  I need a total reset though, too much of what I've been eating lately has been due to time constraints or laziness and I need to remind my body that it really does thrive on the simplest of foods.   And cheese, don't get me started... I'm a total addict so this week will be very hard for me in that respect alone much less the coffee part...  good luck!

Lora - I'm ready.  We just got back from CT so I haven't totally stocked up but I'll be prepared for tomorrow and ready to hit Whole Foods after yoga tomorrow night if not in just a little bit.

Let's do this!

#8 of 113 Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpowered View Post
For me, I'm looking to do sort of like a detox.

I think this is one of the words that is throwing me off. That and what is/isn't allowed seems to be arbitrary.   dontknow.gif

I'm interested to see how it goes for everyone.  smile.gif

#9 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Special Member

Interestingly. DS#1 has a friend who is trying to cut out sugar for one year.  So yesterday, DS told me he wanted to do it to.  So, in thinking of this thread, I told him we can do it together.  We can have natural sugar (i.e. from fruit) and low amounts (foods with under 5g.), but otherwise we are passing the white stuff.  Yesterday was our first day.  We are doing this little experiment for one month.

#10 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Special Member

Cool, RIL -- though you're braver than I am!  A whole year?  I don't know if I could do it smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post

I think this is one of the words that is throwing me off. That and what is/isn't allowed seems to be arbitrary.   dontknow.gif

Re: the word detox -- for me, meaning to rid my body of things that aren't so healthy.  I'm a pretty healthy eater, but lately, probably due to how busy I've been, I find myself adding poor choices into the mix too much (grabbing handfuls of pretzels for snacks, a couple pieces of dark chocolate in the middle of the day, frozen yogurt for dessert after dinner).  I also like cheese and other dairy items a bit too much.   So, cleaner eating to rid myself of the less healthy add-ons. 

The fact that things seem arbitrary is a little confusing to me.  It's not an allowed, really, it's what I'm choosing to do.  I'm choosing to eat mainly those things which grow from the earth.  For one week.  Yes, the skim milk and the viniagrette go against that, but those will be minimal this week. 

I've always been intrigued by the vegetarian idea.  I needed a catalyst for some weight loss and feeling like I'm making some healthier eating choices.  This week's challenge, for me, is about just that -- jump-starting some weight loss, better food/snack/dessert choices, and trying something outside my comfort zone. 

I'll try to maintain the healthier choices after this week, but will add others back in -- chicken, fish, etc, as I choose. 

solarpoweredlife
#11 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Special Member

Quote:

Cool, RIL -- though you're braver than I am!  A whole year?  I don't know if I could do it smile.gif

Yeah, a year would be too long for us too.  We are only doing one month.  AND, we can have sugar on special occasions/holidays (DS has a birthday party in there), but I am going to try not to anyway.

I REALLY should cut back on cheese.  I really am terrible.  Although it really is one of my main sources of calcium.  I need to think about a decent substitute.

#12 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6

Hi all - funny to talk about my molasses nut bread with all this cleansing talk going on, but I figured out why my concoction had such a stronger taste than I would've expected.  Unbeknownst to me, I used blackstrap instead of regular ol' molasses (didn't know there were such gradations). 

On the plus side, this type of molasses is about the most healthful sweetener there is (containing plenty of useful minerals like iron, calcium, chromium, potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese.)

I think if I had a week off I'd try out the cleanse with lots of veggies and fruits.  But I'm pretty good with the direction of my diet in general, though I do need my coffee and I admit my sweet tooth has come back after spending most of the 2000 decade almost never eating sugary stuff.

Speaking of cleansing, I thought this video was appropriate...shall we play a game?

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#13 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28

I haven't posted yet, but I'm going to give this a whirl too.   I have a work luncheon on Thursday that will be an exception, but I will do the best I can there.   I'm still working through what my parameters will be.  I think I'm going to keep my morning shakes, but limit other beverages to water.  I'm like Solar, I don't want coffee or tea that's not sweetened.  I only use splenda anyway, but to do what I normally do isn't quite the point of a challenge.   DH isn't on board with completely clean, but agreed to the majority of it.   It's the start of lent this week, and we normally simplify our diet a bit this time of year.  What's a few extra days? :)

Don't believe everything you think
#14 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:

Re: the word detox -- for me, meaning to rid my body of things that aren't so healthy.

See, when I think cleanse and detox I think of those colon-blow diets/concoctions.

The parameters Marier listed approach the way I eat all the time, which I wouldn't consider in any way a detox or cleanse. 

#15 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post

DS#1 has a friend who is trying to cut out sugar for one year.

You absolutely could do it. 

I haven't had any sugar (other than fruit or honey) in..... almost 9 years.

#16 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Special Member

Kath - I've actually been thinking about you a lot over the past two days, as well as my 7 year-old nephew who has many severe food allergies.  It occured to me that much of what I have to work to clean out of my diet for this challenge (or, what I'm using this challenge to jump start my rethinking about wanting/needing those things in my diet) is what you've already had to clean out, or what my nephew can't ever eat. 

So, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: strawberries, blueberries, banana, handful of walnuts, some spinach, and about 3/4 cup of skim milk blended into a smoothie. 

Snack: half an apple and a few baby carrots

Lunch:  spinach salad, with the other half of the apple, red grapes, avocado,and walnuts.  Small amount (2 Tbs?) of raspberry viniagrette dressing.  A couple pineapple chunks for "dessert" cool.gif

Snack:  handful of baby carrots and some homemade red skin potato chips (baked with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and some dill)

Dinner:  stir fry veggies (broccoli, carrots, red pepper, edamame, baby portabella mushrooms) over brown rice.  Flavored with lite soy and teriyaki, a touch of salt, and some black pepper. 

The only thing I'm drinking today, other than the smoothie, is water. 

My biggest issue is right now.  I want some dessert.  The grocery store didn't have any good-looking strawberries yesterday, and I didn't get to the store today.  I have a cantalope to cut up, but I'm not sure it's ripe-ready yet.  :( 

How did anyone/everyone else do today? 

solarpoweredlife
#17 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:

Kath - I've actually been thinking about you a lot over the past two days, as well as my 7 year-old nephew who has many severe food allergies.  It occured to me that much of what I have to work to clean out of my diet for this challenge (or, what I'm using this challenge to jump start my rethinking about wanting/needing those things in my diet) is what you've already had to clean out, or what my nephew can't ever eat.

THe first week is the hardest. Every day after it's easier to resist.

What is comes down to, ultimately, is choice. I choose to do everything I can to prevent my innards from being riddled with thousands of ulcers. I could eat a piece of bread, or a cookie, or whatever, but at this point I don't think I could enjoy it knowing that I'd pay for those few minutes for months.  dontknow.gif

#18 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Special Member

Ugh, Kath - not fun.  I admire the habits you have engrained.  Hopefully you can rub off on us!

I did well today - no sugar.  I had a hard boiled egg for breakfast (not enough, but I was in a supah rush); soup for lunch and a seafood/whole grain rice for dinner.  I also had loads of tea and water (and a couple cups off coffee - if I am going to be staring at documents at 4:30 am, you better believe I'm going to have some java).

DS also rocked his low sugar meals today.  He even had me make him his lunch.  It always amazes me how much commitment/resolve he has when he wants something.  On the down note, he twisted his ankle something fierce yesterday.  He and DH are now at the doc getting it checked out. 

#19 of 113 Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Evening peeps!   Today I ran a little low on food while at work, but I figured this might happen as I didn't get to the grocery store until tonight, tomorrow will be a better planned day.   Anywho, all in all, I well:

breakfast:  smoothie (1 cup hemp milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 frozen banana, 3-4 cups of spinach)

lunch:  apple, spinach salad w/grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds, tofu, lentils and olive oil

snack:  2 clementines

evening snack (once I got back home):  grape tomatoes w/light drizzle of olive oil, sunflower seeds

dinner:  rice with edamame and tofu and a small amt of soy sauce

drinks: had a venti green tea this morning and water the rest of the day

Tomorrow promises to be much more interesting, have some barley soaking overnight for a delicious recipe including garlic and olives

#20 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Special Member

I did ok yesterday too.  

Morning:  Spark (it's an electrolyte drink thing) before/during workout

After:  Meal replacement shake

Lunch: Vegan Chili from the fridge section of the health food store

Dinner:  chicken stir fry and rice.  DH made it, so I'm not 100% on what went in it, but it looked pretty clean and he knew it was supposed to be:)

Snacks: Strawberries and Cantaloupe

#21 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Special Member

uhoh2.gif  Man, I'm a big eater compared with the rest of you.    uhoh2.gif  

solarpoweredlife
#22 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Special Member

Quote:

Not.at.all.  Notice I did not put any quantities!

#23 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0

Ok, I could not go as strict as you girls are, but I am cleaning things up.

No skipping breakfast

No prepackaged/frozen meals

More veggies

More seafood

So far, so good.  :)

#24 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:

No way!   I was eating lean yesterday due to not having gone to the grocery store yet to restock.  Today I'm in better shape.  ;)

#25 of 113 Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Yeah, count me out on the light eaters too.  Besides, all you ate was fruits and veggies!

I desperately need to go grocery shopping if DS and I are going to pull this off.  I have a meeting by Trader Joes on Thursday morning, so I am hoping to go then.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page