Hump Day Fun - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0

Oh, DH started this campaign before Evelyn was born, too.  Once he found out there was no twig and berries on her, he started talking about the next one.  I told him if he could carry and deliver another baby, maybe I'd consider it.  I dunno.  I do look at Evelyn sometimes and think, "She's so big already...won't be long before she'll be running around with Lena."  But then I think about how awful I felt when I was pregnant.  Then I think it's only 9-10 months of feeling awful.  Then I think about how tired I am with the 2 I already have.  And how life is so hectic.  And we could make room, and get another vehicle, etc.  Families in years past had way more kids than we have now and they seemed to get by.  But still.  *sigh*  Yes, I would have liked to have a boy.  But I'm so very happy with the girls we have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Likes Earned: 11

Colleen my thing is DH is the 3rd of 3 boys!  I keep telling him we are destined to only have boys.  A few of my friends have just had or are having girls in the near future so I will get my girly fix with them

#28 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

And I'm one of 5 girls in my family, no boys!  DH just has the one sister, no brothers. 

#29 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

I have no idea how people have lots of kids these days.  One guy I work with just turned 40.  He's got 5 kids;  the youngest was born last November, the oldest is 7 or 8.  I have one little kid, and I find her to be a handful.  A happy handful, but still a handful.  One is enough for me.  Of course, I was an only child, so maybe it doesn't seem so odd to me. 

Time magazine had an article recently about how the percentage of only children is on the rise.  So at least my daughter won't be an oddball.  But hey, I never felt like an oddball, even if most kids my age did have at least one brother or sister...

#30 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM

Bob my nephew is an only child.  One of my BIL's has stepkids but we aren't particularly close to them and they are way older than little man anyway.  My other BIL isnt married, yet.  I am hoping he gets on the ball and they have kids mainly because I grew up with tons of cousins to hang out with, big huge family gatherings.  So did DH.  I feel bad that Aiden might miss out on that.  I also don't really have many friends with kids, or at least kids the same age so I guess I just want the rest of my family to have kids so Aiden has that close network of family his age.

That being said, I know why my brother and SIl initially decided on only one and I understand and respect their decision.  I also know some people who just think one is enough and I respect that as well.  I just think it is differnet for every couple.  My cousin has 4 kids and can be a mess at times (despite being a stay at home mom with a nanny and house keeper) and yet I have another cousin with just as many kids, her and her DH work full time and they handle it like pros.  I think it's allabout what makes your family feel right.

#31 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Likes Earned: 0

Kids are expensive. 

Bob - Ugh.  Glad to hear your wife wasn't injured.  Sorry about the car!

#32 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14

I think it is the man who determines the sex of the child.  Beaker is less likely to have a girl with DH being #3 of 3 boys, while the fact that Clare is one of 5 girls makes no difference what's so ever.  Personally,  I'm pleased as punch that the powers that be only sent boy babies my way.  Not that there is anything wrong with girl babies.  Rather, I think I would have ended up breaking a girl, having been raised with 3 brothers, loads of boy cousins and no girls anywhere.  Apparently, you can't push girl offspring into a massive bush when they are razzing you on a walk to the grocery store.  Not so with boys.  Just so you know. No child of mine actually ever gets hurt when I do the things I do.  They usually end up giggling like girls.  Ha! See how I turned that around?  Ok.  I'm rambling. It's getting annoying.  Even to me. 

Toodles.  Off to get my hair cut. 

#33 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Special Member

I read an article recently that talked about companies that help couples have the sex of child that they want.  And apparently, it's easier to make a boy happen than a girl, though most people who want to pick their kid's sex ask for a girl.  Still, clare (and beaker), you might want to see if there's a company in your area that does that and see how expensive it is.  My brother and SIL were only going to have two kids unless the second was a girl, then they'd have 3 to try for a boy.  The second one ended up being a boy and they had the third (a girl) anyway.  My sister has two of each.

"It is our choices . . . that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
Praecipua in Pink
#34 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

So yeah, the male determines the sex of the baby.  And Prae those companies basically filter sperm to separate future males from future females.  I have no idea what their success rate really is!  There are also theories about timing, supposedly "female" sperm live longer than "male" sperm so you are supposed to be able to time your business to increase chances of one vs the other.  Personally, I feel I am given the kids i am supposed to have.  Sort of zen, touchy feely and all but I think Aiden is a perfect fit for DH and I am I am positive #2 will be exactly who we were meant to have as well.  No tooling with nature for me! 

#35 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBob View Post

I have no idea how people have lots of kids these days.  One guy I work with just turned 40.  He's got 5 kids;  the youngest was born last November, the oldest is 7 or 8.  I have one little kid, and I find her to be a handful.  A happy handful, but still a handful.  One is enough for me.  Of course, I was an only child, so maybe it doesn't seem so odd to me. 

Yeah, I have a friend who's a former co-worker who is in the same boat.  He about a year older than me and he has 5 kids.  I just saw him a few mins ago at the lunch for another co-worker who is leaving the company.  Shawn's kids are 11, 7, a pair of 4s (Boy / Girl twins) and 1.5 years old.  He almost went face down at lunch in his bowl of gumbo.  :)   Other than the one boy half of the twins, they're all girls.  If you're keeping score at home that's a 5 to 2 ratio Female to male inside his house.  I think he and his son will be watching football out in the garage.   

I'm one of three and DW is one of two.  She has one sister, I have two brothers.  My parents tried for a girl and failed.  I thought I wanted three while DW thought she wanted two.  Funny thing, was after the 2nd one, I was done and SHE started the third baby talk.  I guess we're very lucky to have one of each.  It's perfect and I wouldn't change it a for anything. 

#36 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6

Just waving a quick  Work is pretty chaotic today, and it didn't help that I woke up about 45 min before the alarm was set to go off (the A/C had been turned off so it got just too dayum warm in the room)

Ugh ((((bob & Maggie)))) Glad she's not hurt and the car isn't too badly damaged - I hope the insurance rates stay manageable

Kids - funny how it works out - my five siblings either have all girls or all boys save for one (the youngest brother.)  And he's in the only pairing who might be inclined to want more kids in the future (the others are pretty well set, but it wasn't for lack of trying to add a baby of the opposite gender to their brood

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#37 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Okay.. not at all related to the kid-discussion, but I figured you guys would get a kick out of this.  Especially since, as a group, it's all your fault! :)

Each day, through Groupon (a discount offer sent via email) I receive a notice of a deal that can be purchased.  Maybe it's a $50 gift card to Applebee's for $35 or something along those lines.  Today, it was for a nearby cupcake shop.  Now, while I enjoy cupcakes, I have never seen the cupcake obsession that has been witnessed here.  :)  Nor can I remember the last time I actually had a cupcake.   Probably over the holidays last year, and it certainly wasn't a fancy-schamcy one, but more from the likes of a grocery store or wal-mart.  After the influence of the 30's group, when today's coupon announces that I can get  6 cupcakes from the cupcake bakery for $6, i feel some compelling need to buy not one, but two coupons.

I am already planning a stop by on Saturday for an order of 6 cupcakes, and while the flavor assortment isn't as fancy as the cupcake trucks that have been mentioned, I am finding that I am constantly thinking about the cupcakes already - with three days before I can even bite into one. Damnit 

#38 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

Okay.. not at all related to the kid-discussion, but I figured you guys would get a kick out of this.  Especially since, as a group, it's all your fault! :)

Each day, through Groupon (a discount offer sent via email) I receive a notice of a deal that can be purchased.  Maybe it's a $50 gift card to Applebee's for $35 or something along those lines.  Today, it was for a nearby cupcake shop.  Now, while I enjoy cupcakes, I have never seen the cupcake obsession that has been witnessed here.  :)  Nor can I remember the last time I actually had a cupcake.   Probably over the holidays last year, and it certainly wasn't a fancy-schamcy one, but more from the likes of a grocery store or wal-mart.  After the influence of the 30's group, when today's coupon announces that I can get  6 cupcakes from the cupcake bakery for $6, i feel some compelling need to buy not one, but two coupons.

I am already planning a stop by on Saturday for an order of 6 cupcakes, and while the flavor assortment isn't as fancy as the cupcake trucks that have been mentioned, I am finding that I am constantly thinking about the cupcakes already - with three days before I can even bite into one. Damnit 

You are welcome, my Dear! 

#39 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Special Member

I'm glad to hear Maggie wasn't hurt Bob. You guys have had a rough go of it lately when it comes to your vehicles.

Good dealio with the cupcakes, Ailarie.

#40 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

$1 cupcakes is a steal!

I bought the Boston Groupon today, $50 (1 hr) massage at a nice place on Newbury St. I bought two, so Ann and I can go when she's visiting.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#41 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Three kids definitely keep us busy.  The two little ones fight like the dickens, but they also are very close. 

Cherl is right, they can be expensive.  I think the third one is costing us hundreds of thousands of dollars with our move to a bigger house! 

#42 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Hey all - so sorry Bob - glad Maggie is ok.

Bummer on the sucky sleep and too awake little ones...

I laughed out loud at your DH's comments on a 3rd kid Clare.  My DH was one of 5 and he entertained the thought of 3 briefly.  Then I reminded him they would out number us and we agreed that would be a bad idea. 

#43 of 43 Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

Bob, I'm glad Maggie is not hurt.  I sorta see the logic behind the "no fault" laws, since I'm sure the intent is to keep stuff out of the courts unless there is a criminal case and theoretically this could lead to lower insurance rates across the board.  But since insurance companies always raise your rates if they have to pay a claim, it seems unfair to the person who did not cause the accident to occur.

RE: boys vs girls.  I am one of 7 children, 5 girls and 2 boys.  I have 14 nieces and nephews, and only 4 are boys and none of the boys has a brother.  Don't know that we were predisposed one way or the other, really, it just happened that way.  Oh and the total # of kids discussion?  My dad's theory is that after the 3rd one, the only difference is in the noise level. ;) 

Kris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page