I like to Move it Move it! Monday 8-17 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Where is everyone?

I actually got to bed early last night, so got up early and walked the beasts separately. It took the same amount of time to walk Jack half as far as I walked Gus. Slowpoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
Morning Kath and everyone else to follow...

I did not sleep last night. At all, I suspect. Gaaahhh! That is very unlike me...I'm a great sleeper! I am waaaaayyy tired this morning...

Got out for 3.65 in the neighborhood last night at a 10:10 pace...swampy, soupy, was sweatin' like 10 whole men. It got done, though, so I'm happy even though it was UG-LY. Yoga tonight, then I'm hoping to be back on a normal workout schedule this week now that the family is gone.

Must get ready for work. Cross your fingers that my shoulder holds up tonight! I'm gonna take it super easy, but I have to get back in the studio...I can't take it without yoga!

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#3 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Sorry to hear about the bad night's sleep, Ann. I hope you can make it thru the day...

I'm gonna go out for some kind of run tonight. But geez, it's supposed to be hot out there. Well, I'll keep it short and slow...

#4 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Addicted Member

Location: Firmly Atop The Upper Echelon of Mediocrity [South Jersey]
Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 22
Non-running Monday

D'Wife starts her new job today, Marie's going to daycamp for a week ... The AM schedule is gonna be all topsy-turvy for a next couple of weeks, then school starts.
#5 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
G'morning, all.

Rest day for me, running-wise. It's much needed after yesterday's 9M swim. Err, run. I have an ART appointment today, and am rethinking the logic of seeing him the day after my LR. Hmm.

Tri, bi and core work is on tap for today.
#6 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Oh... PS .. just wanted to say "thanks" to those who offered suggestions yesterday as to what to use to deal with some really bad chafing. I didn't go back out yesterday, but plan on seeing what I can find today.
#7 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
Hey folks!

No morning run for me, I may regret that later! But little dog was up 3 times last night, no idea why! So not a good sleeping night. I foresee a TM run later today. 3 perhaps?!

Didn't check in all weekend, will have to go see what I missed!
#8 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Just went back to the weekend thread...um HELLLLLLO Solar and Maria! You ladies look amazing, so glad you had fun!

Jenruns glad you survied the swim Way to mix it up!!

Theia congrats! Can't wait to hear about it. I thought you were doing any Oly, my bad!
#9 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Does Jack talk a little smack on Gus? Might be good motivation for Gus to get the rear in gear.

Nice job this weekend to the racers - and congratulations to Maria and Solar for their engagement! Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall for THAT honeymoon!!

Day off today from running, though I plan to get my Raisin on at lunch. Yesterday's run knocked me on me arse - 15 miles with 2x4 miles at just over 6:00 pace. It was soupy, and that was at the end of a big week - I'm glad I got through it but I'm a wee bit knackered now.

FORT HOSE interested, men's 10,000 final is this afternoon, I think around 4:30 EST. Not too shabby a time in the men's 100m yesterday for the top 3 guys - holy cannoli!
#10 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Hey hey. Thanks so much for all the kind words yesterday. I disconnected my Internet at home to save money, so this is the first time I've been online since I left work on Friday. Yesterday was an absolute BLAST... and I would be saying that even if I hadn't placed. I ended up first in my age group, 23rd woman overall, and 83rd finisher. I overheard someone say there were 300 entrants in the sprint, so I'm very pleased with the results.

Congrats to Ailarie for the PR! Congrats to Duck for the almost-PR-when-he-wasn't-even-trying! Congrats to Jen on the tri! (Wasn't it fun???) Congrats to TimR for the trail race! Congrats to everyone else who was out there pounding the pavement.

And super huge congrats to Maria and Lora on their engagement. Now THAT's some news!

Beaker, yes, I originally signed up for the Olympic but dropped down to the sprint a few weeks ago... on the same day I bumped UP to the OBX full. It took a lot of pressure off to know I could start ramping up my running miles without also having to worry about those last few weeks of long bike rides, awful bricks, and longer swims.
#11 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 AM

Boo on a bad night's sleep, Ann. I almost never sleep well on Sunday nights for some reason.

Cranked out about 3 miles on a hilly route last night, and have spin class on tap for the this evening. Have good Monday workouts, everyone!
#12 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
morning all

no miles yet today. Planning on some easy stuff after work.

Weights last night were killer. Instead of our normal routine, we had to do less exercises but more reps (30). You work until fatigue at your normal or higher than your normal weight, then you step it down and keep on going until you hit 30. Wow. I am freaking sore today. I was sweating buckets and almost unable to sign my name at the end of the workout.

I cannot wait until the relay on Friday. So excited! It looks like good weather
#13 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 17
Likes Given: 3
hey all......just a brief update on the oache running train.

in the last 8 weeks I have gone from 5 miles as my long run to 12 miles this past sunday. My mileage is now up to about 30mpw with 5 days of running.

I'm still old and slow but this is the best that I have felt in two years so...........

I'm looking forward to running with all of you somewhere in the near future!!!!!!!!!

I start cussing at the farm animals as I pass. Really, punk cow? Now you wanna race? WTF where you the first 10 miles? That's right, you were sitting on your ass chewing some cud. lazy POS......refinnej
#14 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Congrats, Theia! Great job!

I didn't run this weekend. But I did volunteer at a local race. I kept the times for the finishers. It was neat to see everyone come in, the smiles (mostly) on their faces. It was an 8 miler and very hot (30+ C). The winner came in around 47 minutes. He's a young local guy who wins almost every race he goes in, so it wasn't a huge surprise to see him cross first.

I'm going to see if there's a yoga for pregnancy class anywhere in this town. That'd be nice, I think.
#15 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Special Member

Pics from MrJenRuns (he didn't get any of me running, the course was too far out and way too narrow for him to get out there). He does a good job, though, I really want to get him a better camera--he would love that. One of these days!

Hangin' loose before my wave started. 2nd to last wave, ugh, so it was hot already...the first wave left over 30 minutes before us. The good part was that I'm married to a surfer, so he told me to line up on the far right-there was a decent current. So many people were getting pushed to the wrong side of the buoy, this worked out great for me as it got me about 2 feet outside of it for the turn without fighting the current. It was a nice bay to swim in, the open ocean was really choppy. It was clean but really rocky and the water was super sandy so you couldn't see more than an inch in front of you in the water...that's a good thing for me, I don't want to see the fish!

I'm way on the outside still here, you can see people already on the wrong side of the buoy.

Out of the water and there are still a bunch of people behind me, yay! Of course there were a bunch in front of me. I was right about the middle of my wave.

T1 was quiet since my wave left so late:

Passing by the park after coming back down the Rickenbacker before heading down Virginia Key. I didn't spend much time in aero, I was worried with the gusty wind...wimpy-wimpy-wimpy.

#16 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Great pics, as always Jen!
#17 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Fun pics Jen.

Rest day for me. I love Mondays!
#18 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Hey all - legs feeling pretty decent after Sunday's LR. Last week was supposed to be a cutback week, but the threatened BART strike made me think it was going to be a biatch to get in the miles this week, so I knocked out 17+ mi total over the weekend. Thankfully there is no strike to deal with, so there will be no need to wake up at ridiculous hours to get in the miles for the foreseeable future.

CMT session after work to knock out all the new knots and stuff.

I obviously didn't catch up enough with the weekend thread last night, because I missed out on congratulating Timr, duck & Ailarie on their fine race efforts as well! A big to you all

Jen - terrific pics from MrJR as usual

Anyway, good runs, workouts or rest days to you all.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#19 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Special Member

Just saw the official results. They're even better than I thought!

1/37 age group (wow! huge age group!!!!)
23/185 women
81/340 overall

I'm still completely stunned... honestly. I thought I wasn't passing many women in my age group on the bike and run because they were all so far ahead of me. Right before I packed up my stuff to leave, I went to the results posting only to see what the winning times were... never dreaming I'd be up there!
#20 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Special Member

1!

And Jen wants to buy him a better camera?? Good grief! He'll be able to earn a living on his pics if he chooses to do so!
#21 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
Great job to all the weekend racers

I buzzed down to the shore late last night and did 12 miles here this morning. Last 4 miles were 2 mins hard, rest of the mile easy. Repeat. It was hot. Run went ok, though. Got back to the house and stripped off my shirt and shoes and jumped right into the ocean... which was warm, and served no "ice bath" purpose whatsoever

Oh well. It's pretty nice up there at the beach right now, so I may stick around for a little bit before I have to head back home.

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#22 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 12:09 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
I think you got that backwards. Jack = bulldog = sloooooooooooow walker. Gustav = german shepherd = lets go FASTER!!!!

When I walk them together we're usually single file: Gus at the end of his leash in front, then me, then Jack as far behind as the leash will allow. Gus is pretty patient with him. He'll stop and turn around and wait.

On occasion he gives Jack a poke though, which is funny.
#23 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Morning. Easily the most humid weekend in Minneapolis. Dew points were about 70 Saturday and Sunday mornings. Made running so much fun. Did 10 on Saturday, was supposed to be a workout, but bagged it after the second tempo mile and just did 800m tempos around the lakes. Sunday was supposed to be 18 with five at GRP. Well I did four of them at no where near pace. I was barely hanging on during the long run.

Some great race results this weekend.

Theia - Nice job on the age group win. That's freakin' awesome.

Jen - Those pictures make me miss Florida. Maybe not the humidity. Oh yeah, you look great.
#24 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2
Afternoon all! Monday has brought a wave of change for me; after much deliberation I've decided to pull out of the St. George marathon. I'm not where I want to be with my training and I have no intention of running another so/so marathon. There are tons of pros and cons and in the end I decided that pushing my goal fall/winter race back would be the best call. The good news is I feel like I'm completely recovered from my butt/hamstring injuries and continuing to follow a path that will keep me healthy and strong. With this in mind I've signed up for the CIM (California Int'l Marathon) on 12/6, putting me 16 weeks out from the race. I'm going to continue using Hudson's Level 2 plan and get things going with a 10 mile fartlek run tonight w/8 x 30 secs @5KP
#25 of 73 Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Special Member

Yeah, Florida is very pretty down here and this race location (Virginia Key) with Miami in the background with the sun rising over the ocean was breathtaking BUT racing in 78 to 80* dew points and near 90* air temp sucks! I was shocked as sweat was pouring off of me on the bike, yuck. South Florida is a great place for a lot of things, but it's not a place to train for marathons! There are a ton of Tri folks down here, though, it's pretty competitive. I think since you can train for the swim and bike year 'round pretty solidly and the run is good for 6 months. It's interesting looking at the people in the tri, most are not runners that's for sure. Decent swimmers, really good bikers, but not runners save for the top few. I guess that makes sense since the bike is by far the biggest time chunk of these things!

Baggs, I'm also with you on MP runs in dew points over 70*--it just doesn't happen outside! If it did, then I'd know my MP was way too slow for a race in normal conditions .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page