Thursday move it, move it 7-23 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
No kidding, I'm first?

4 miles this morning. My knees are looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. See Monday's post re: needing to be realistic and careful. Going from 10 to 16 miles in one week should be plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Hiya, folks. 5k race for me last night. I'm happy with my 22:02. It's 46 seconds slower than Saturday, but that's fine. I don't need 2 PRs in one week...

Today may be a day off, or an easy run with the kid. We'll see.

Sheesh, I see that my totals for the month of July are just over 100 miles at an average 8:47 pace. That distance is below what I'd like, but the avg pace is a lot faster than usual. I think I need to slow down and go farther for a while...
#3 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
Morning!

I added a run on the TM before my usual yoga yesterday, because I'm determined to get 3 runs in consistently and I am tired of making excuses at the end of the week. I'm glad I did! It was nice...avg 9:18 m/m (I think) and felt suprisingly easy. I'll take it!

Taking my running stuff to work today, and will see how I feel about a few miles after work. It would be the third day in a row of running, though...so I won't be too upset if I decide to hold off until tomorrow.

Good runs to everyone today!

I need some tea...

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#4 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Yea, yea, you're always saying you should slow down Bob. Just go with it. Nice job on the 5k last night. Sounds like the perfect race, pizza and fresh choc. chip cookies!!!

Great job Ann and Diane!!

4.11 miles for me this morning. I took the new racing flats out for a test drive today. They feel perfect.
#5 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Good Morning!

I have mile repeats this morning, I'm trying to get myself pumped up for them!!! This is a tough workout, for sure.

I popped on the bike trainer for a while last night, just for kicks. It is certainly time to bump the mileage back up, I've been very restless in the evenings. Doubles should be starting again after next week.

That sounded like a fun 5k, boB!
#6 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Morning!

I got nuthin. It was pouring here when I got up. I could have hopped on the tm, but I had a couple things I didn't get to last night so I worked on them this morning and snuggled with Jack. (Considering how he started crawling on me before I was even on the floor and then sat ON me with his nose an inch from mine I'd say he needed some attention. )
#7 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2
Mornin' Sort of forced rest day for me, will be leaving directly from the office to JFK and then flying out to San Francisco. Looking forward to some nice cool running conditions before we depart for some much warmer conditions in Yosemite.

Conga-rats boB, I need to run that race one of these years

Jill - what do you notice most about the flats? Their weight or lack thereof, support or non, etc?

Good days to everyone!
#8 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Likes Earned: 11
Good stuff so far people! Jill glad you like the new kicks!

Snoozed in this morning, which at 5am seemed like a good idea. But I regret it now, work, then Gymboree then off to see Gran (it is her 92nd birthday!!) which means if I am lucky I can squeeze something in late tonight. Tomorrow will be a morning run at my leasure since I am off and Sat I will tackle some hills on the bike sincwe we will be in the mountains. All set for some good workouts!
#9 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Special Member

Have a great time on your trip Maria!! To answer your question, it's hard not to notice the weight. 7.6 ounces and I got last year's model. I cannot imagine what the newer model feels like at a mere 6 ounces. I'll get those once these are done. So, definitely the weight, the snugness, they feel fine as far as support (suppose to be a light support shoe). They felt completely natural on my foot.
#10 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Did a little bit of hiking in the Adirondacks yesterday.

Going out soon for run here today.
#11 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Jill, can you refresh my memory as to what shoes you got?

Nice job on the 5k boB! Pizza and chocolate chip cookies post race?? Niiiiice!

I ran 6 miles last night in addition to walking 2 miles yesterday, my hips and knees were achey so I went to bed laying on one ice pack and ice packs on my knees.

The auto timed coffee pot on the dresser PLUS the alarm clock seemed to work better today, of course I had already decided not to run this morning since I was so achey last night. phttt. Really too bad too because it's such a gorgeous morning! Cool and sunny! I did get out to walk the dog and I was just sick that I had to go to work on such a nice day!!!

Happy fitnessing everyone!
#12 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Special Member

BigG- Saucony Fastwitch 2.
#13 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Likes Earned: 16
I first read this as pooped....

Nice tri, boB (run+pizza+cookies)

Safe travels moon, maria, and Beaker.

Sleasy 4 this morning. And do to scheduling, I will be doing the 5 K Saturday, not the 8 mile. (Thought it was an 8 AM start, it is actually 9, and I am not fast enough to get 'er done before my wife has some stuff to do). So, based on my 8 K on July 4, Mr. McMillan says I can hit 25:38 (8:15 pace). I'm going to go out at 8:00-8:10 and see what I can hold on to.
#14 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Special Member

Morning Gang -

Jen - do you do your mile repeats on the mill? What type of pace are they at?

Jill (or anyone who uses them) - now you have me curious about racing flats. Are there different types for different distances, or does one racing flat work for 10k and marathon? And are people with issues (i.e. me) still able to use orthotics in them? I may look into some.

Solar - how did your new shoes work?

Got 12 miles done before work this morning. Felt pretty good, but can definitely feel that I need new shoes. Hoping to get to store tonight.

Good runs to all today!
#15 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
morning

got in 8 miles at the park yesterday. It was sure steamy in the canopied areas. I was drenched by mile 2 and very happy that I brought my new small hand held water bottle (see below)

http://www.wwsport.com/Sta.DnnWebSer...&ImageTypeID=1

I then decided to come back a longer way and did a lot of running then on the shared path. I hadn't explored over there yet so it was interesting. Saw at least 2 cc teams doing drills (poor kids) and 1 deer.

Leg feels a bit better today.

Re: shoes - coach wants me to go and see the area's shoe whisperer soon. I may. could be interesting what they put me in.
#16 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Addicted Member

Heh. Yeah, this race definitely has the best post-race spreads of any 5k I know. The only thing that would be better is if it were a quad (run+pizza+cookies+beer). Umm, is there any such thing as a quadrathlon, or did I just make something up?
#17 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Pentathalon - run+pizza+cookies+ice cream+beer
#18 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Addicted Member

#19 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Special Member

I do not feel qualified to answer your questions. I've seen around that they (companies) list what their racing flats are good for as far as distance. They're made lighter by getting rid of certain things in the shoes, some of that motion control stuff for instance. Mine are listed as light stability and Jen's are neutral. Not sure of the weight diff, I'd have to look that up. I've heard some say they can only use a flat for certain things, treadmill for instance. My coach told me that she can only run on the TM in flats or else the TM messes up her legs. No idea about the orthotics. Could be it could clear some things up for you. One blogger I follow is switching to her flats for training runs at the moment because of some hip issues.

When you go to your LRS tonight ask them what they think.
#20 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Special Member

Hi all...I am on my way out a bit later than expected--running in Frees again today--see how that goes.

Nice racing Bob! Have a great trip Maria...getting away always helps me get my beak on straight.

Yesterday's 7 was blecccchhh, but oh well, it happens.

Brandy
--I like the new strap on. I don't like the new one I got a few months ago; too hard to adjust. How many ounces does yours hold?

Also, I've been stashing my stuff on LR's, but am thinking about going back to a fuel belt set up. I want to start doing LR's in other places and once got my stuff taken when it was stashed. Any reccs??

<rant>Oh, and...btw...I still can't open gatorade bottles. I had this issue yesterday after a tough workout--stopped at a gas station, got gatorade and could not open it. I've written to them previously about this, they told me they were changing the design, and gave me a coupon. I've officially given up on the stuff. I don't drink it much, anyway, but what bad marketing! I mean, it's a replacement drink!! For workouts!! How could they not know this is a problem?? </rant>
#21 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Special Member

9 - 10 oz. I got it at TC for $12. It is very comfortable..way better than any other one I have held. it is curved so it fits into your hand very easily. It also has a pocket for a key or whatever. In regards to your stealing issue, can't C bike with you as your LR sherpa?

which one is this? I have issues with the old school bottle. Something about the ridges just tears my hands up. I have almost cried because of this..so close to sugary goodness...yet so far
#22 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2
Nice strap-on! I have a similar one, the expandable pocket and curved design are key.
#23 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 11:04 AM

I gave up on them when I tore open my palm trying to open them. I remember Crane posting about this way back when and was glad I wasn't the only one! But still no fix?! Not good!
#24 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Do we have a pic of these problematic Gatorade bottles?
#25 of 78 Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Special Member

at least for me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page