Hoping for a better week? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 0

Last week was a rough one, with something going on every evening.  I thought this week would be easier.

Friday I dropped son1 off at home school co-op and headed over to do my long run on the Last Chance for Boston route.  It's a 1m loop.  Yah, boring, but it's flat and I can get a good judge of pace.  However, that run just wasn't happening.  I was emotionally drained and it was stupid windy.  It's an office park, and when the wind gets to blowing it sucks.  So, bagged it after only a couple miles.

Saturday I slept in.  I needed that!  I put off the run longer than I should have.  I headed to the metro park which has a nice short mile loop.  Yah, I'm into short loops.  Makes it easy to pop by the van for water/gu.  But... again it was stupid windy.  At points the wind was actually stopping me in my tracks.  Plus, it was much warmer than expected and I was overdressed.  So, I bagged it at a little over 3m.  This is NOT going well!!!

Sunday I knew I HAD to get the long run in before church.  Only way to do it was on the track.  56laps in lane6 would give me about 15mi.  Okay, I can do that.  I was up at 6am--yes, I did remember time change!--and to the track by 6:30.  Run just never felt "right".  I sorta got into the groove but couldn't get it out of 2nd gear.  I stopped after lap34 because my knee was feeling tight.  I stretched but when I attempted to start running again my knee informed me I was done.  Uh oh...  I could barely walk to the van.  Back home I showered quickly, icing my knee as I did my hair, then headed to church.  

After church son1 and I had planned on going for a ride.  My knee was feeling a bit better, so I took Sapphire for a quick spin around the block.  Huh... the knee loosened up quite nicely!  So, we loaded up the bikes and drove to our usual spot.  Because of hte wind, we opted for a straight out&back.  The wind sucked on the way out.  We got to just short of where the road had been closed due to flooding.  Meh, close enough.  We turned around and enjoyed... crosswind?!  Somehow our headwind had shifted so we never got the tailwind we earned.  Oh well, it was a nice 24.something spin.  Time for a quick shower before heading to church.

Monday was REST DAY!!!  I was dragging all day.  My knee turned out to be clearly IT band.  I focused on stretching all day.  By evening it was feeling pretty good.  But, I also started looking for other races.  I clearly won't be ready to race in 3 weeks.  I did find another flat HM that is two weeks later.  However, that will mess with TOSRV training.  In the next week or so I'll need to decide, but seriously leaning towards the later race.  Son1 is gonna smoke me on TOSRV either way.

I ended up with a terrible night's sleep.  Went to bed early but couldn't sleep.  After 2hrs of tossing and turning it dawned on me I had a headache.  I had already taken Aleve, so not much I could do about it.  I did go downstairs to sleep on the couch because of hubby's breathing machine.  But, son1 was still up.  Sent him to bed and he was thumping bumping up there.  Finally around 1:30 I was starting to fall asleep.  Then... I awoke to a loud hissing.  What the??!?!?!?!?!  The water line to the ice maker burst again.  I woke hubby so he could shut off the water and son1 came down to help clean up the mess.  Son1 asked if I was still heading to the gym in the morning.  Uh. no.

Tuesday morning I awoke and realized son2 had overslept.  I got up to get him up, and by then I was awake.  I had to drive him to school, and that's on the way to the gym.  Sigh...  Gym back already packed, so I headed to the gym.  Opted for a super lazy 2000meters in the fishbowl.  500 pull buoy, 500 paddles, 500 swim, 1000 paddles.  Cool down 100 walk.  

So this week isn't turning out much better than last week!  Stay tuned!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

And the week continues...

Wednesday I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  Common sense said another rest day.  But, my knee was feeling much better.  Final straw was the UPS guy showed up.  Why does the UPS guy always get that panicked look on his face when he realizes that he's holding a new pair of running shoes and the crazy lady is running out the door to greet him?  Almost like he's facing a pit bull or something?  What's up with that?!  So anyway, my new shoes came.  Mizuno wave something or other.  Only one thing to do--laced 'em up and took 'em for a test run.  I over dressed, assuming I'd end up walking at some point.  But... NO PAIN!!!  I did shorten my normal neighborhood run, ended with 3.3miles.  A bit slow, but it felt good.  Shoes are perfect.  They are there, but I never thought about how they felt, etc.  Exactly what I expect out of a pair of running shoes.

Thursday I was up early.  Plenty of time to hit the track before the middle school gym class.  And then... nothing.  Later in the day I did head to the park and ran the lower meadow loop.  Planned 7-8 laps for 6-7miles.  The run was going pretty well.  60*, sunny, but 15mph winds.  First run in shorts and short sleeves.  It was actually HOT!  As I started lap 5, my knee tightened up.  Bad.  Uh oh.  So I shut it down right quick!  IT band.  No question there.  However, as I started to walk back to the van, it loosened up.  Huh.  So I sat and stretched the IT band.  Okay.  I tried running again and everything felt good.  I finished out the run.  Total of 7 full laps plus an extra bit for an even 6m @ 8:51pace.  

Friday I was back in the fishbowl.  I swapped the swim/run so I'd be able to do my long run Saturday.  Planned sorta easy splish splash so there would be plenty in the tank for the long run.  2000m steady.  It appears I am still unable to count to 10.  First two sets of 500 the numbers made sense.  Second two sets, not sure what to make of the numbers.  Whatever.  It was a good easy effort.  Next steady I'll throw in some single arm drills.  Other than that, not sure what I want to work on.  

#3 of 3 Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Saturday the alarm went off stupid early.  I had to get the run in before work, and being a long one, that meant getting out there stupid early.  Because it was still dark, and I don't like running in the dark, I headed to the track.  Round and round I went...  Still was hoping to get the 15.  Felt really good.  Bit of pop in the legs.  Boring as all get out though.  It's just a matter of doing it and not thinking.  I had one stop I think around m6 or 7.  Plan for water and Gu, but also did some good stretching as the knee was starting to tighten up.  Finished it out uneventfully, for a total of 12.  8:52pace.  Slower than I'd like, but miles in the bank.  No time to think about it.  Showered and headed to work.

Saturday afternoon son1 and I headed out for a spin.  He found a route that he's been wanting to try for a couple weeks.  I'm one to stick with known routes.  Son1 is forever doing the "I wonder where this road goes".  Suppose it's a good mix.  This route included a covered bridge.  Along the way, I was zoning out.  Yah, it's nice to see things greening up, seeing spring wild flowers, and hearing spring peepers.  But, in Ohio, one road looks much like another.  In the distance I saw some animals in a field.  Huh... that looks bigger than a cow.  No way...  It can't be...  This is OHIO!  But, yes, indeed, is was a CAMEL.  What the heck is a camel doing here?!  I promise the next time I go up there, I'm taking my camera because no one believes me!  24miles total

Sunday morning the alarm went off.  I hit the snooze a good couple of times before stumbling to son1's room.  Ya ready to head to the gym?  He mumbled something.  Uh, is that a yes or no.  Another mumble.  I took that as a no and headed back to bed!  I slept in, barely making it to church at 9:30.  Guess I needed the sleep!

After church I had planned on riding with son1, however, he had a meeting at church.  Since I was heading out solo, I hit a route that son1 hates.  Not sure why he doesn't like it.  County Line Road starts with seven hills.  It's a challenge for me to power over 'em, still in the saddle.  Getting better!  Going by the quarry, I was just flying.  Uh, this is NOT GOOD.  That meant I had a tailwind...  Made it to the next town where I turned turned and headed to the river.  I was hoping that inbound along the river would provide a bit of protection.  It didn't.  I did get a bit of time with the aero bars.  That is going to take some getting used to!  All in all, it was a very enjoyable little spin--longest of the season so far.  30.5m

Today is a rest day.  Need to think about what I need to do this week.  Starting with getting caught up with laundry, cleaning, and getting dinner started before heading to a meeting this afternoon.  Uh, yah, training... gotta get with planning...

satfix likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page