KickRunners.com

KickRunners.com (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/index.php)
-   My Triathlon Journey: Going the Distance with HFP Racing (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3165)
-   -   So how did I get "here"? (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72884)

4boysmom 03-04-2011 06:59 PM

I was the kid that always got picked last in gym class.  Not almost last.  But the one that teams got stuck with because I was the only one left.  In junior high, I was on the track team.  Briefly.  The coach's "motivation" was to tell people that they were doggie doo-doo (or something like that) until they improved.  I quit.

Then, the summer I turned 17yo, something happened.  I started bicycling.  First with my Grandma and her group of friend.  I don't know that I got that good, but I do know that I was able to catch up on the local gossip.  Later that summer, I rode with the local bicycle club.  This opened up a whole new world.  I found I really enjoyed long distance bicycling.

Bicycling is the one constant I have had through the years.  Through high school, I rode to school rather than taking the school bus.  When I started college, bicycling helped me deal with the stresses.  One of the scary things I used to do was head out for a ride on Saturday.  Sometimes, I'd ride all the way to my parents (about 90miles away), then ride home on Sunday.  Of course, I wouldn't tell my roommates or my parents.  I could have been lying dead on the side of the road and no one would have known.  I'd kill my kid if they did that!

Of course, then came my career and marriage.  Shortly after getting married, we (unexpectedly!) started our family.  Through it all, I had my bicycling.  I couldn't ride nearly as much once the kids came along.  But, every spring found me on the trainer, training for TOSRV, a 2-day 210mile tour from Columbus to Portsmouth and back every Mother's Day weekend.  Then, if I wasn't pregnant, I'd also do Hancock Hundred in the fall.

One year I became very ill.  I'd attempt to take the dog for a walk, get two houses down and wonder how the heck I was going to get back home.  Two surgeries and several months later, I recovered.  In celebration, I started running.  I heard about a half marathon, and decided I could do it.  At first I was going to just walk it, since I was already doing long distance walking.  Then, decided that if I ran some of it, I couldn't finish with a better time.  Well, what the heck, if I run all of it...  And that was the start of running.

I started working with a coach who was a triathlete.  While he was at Worlds, I decided I wanted to do a Half Ironman.  His answer?  "Great!  Let's start with a sprint!"  This was in June.  I didn't know how to swim.  I learned in July, then did my first triathlon in September.  I was hooked!  

Since that time, I've raced three full seasons.  I still do running only and bicycle touring, but I see myself more as a triathlete.

This season, I'll be doing a half marathon in a few weeks, TOSRV,  HFP Wheelie Fun Olympic series, a Half Ironman, and hopefully cap off the season with a full marathon.

In my blog, I plan to write about the joys and challenges of training while being a full time mom of four boys.  In the next few threads, I'll talk more about my boys.

satfix 03-04-2011 07:13 PM

I'm looking forward to reading about this journey!

Boyerdavea 03-05-2011 06:02 PM

And here all this time I thought you have been trialthons a whole lot longer than 3 seasons.  It will be fun to read through your experiences.