Mini-Essay: What I Did On My Autumn Vacation - KickRunners.com

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0

It was really hard for me to select a few photos to share - mostly Rome, some Tuscan countryside.  Hope you all will indulge me.  Critique is welcomed (and, expected) ...

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

(that's our stroller on the right - locked to the sign post)

DSC_0951.JPG

St. Peter's Basilica, as seen through the keyhole at the Knights of Malta.

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0663.JPG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

DSC_0697.JPG

DSC_1168.JPG

DSC_1238.JPG

DSC_1368.JPGDSC_1254.JPG

DSC_1359.JPG

#3 of 4 Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 14

Doesn't it seem so much easier to get great pictures when you're travelling than when you're at home? I think it's because we get complacent and blase about the things we see all the time.

I think I like the mailbox shot the best - stark and mostly monotone, with a bright splash of color perfectly placed. The fruits and vegetables would be my second favorite.

Your shot of St. Peter's through the keyhole had the potential to be a great shot, but it would probably also be the most difficult shot to do well. On the exposure side, if you set your exposure for the 'tunnel' then the Basilica will be over-exposed (it looks to me like this is what you got), but if you set for the Basilica your tunnel will be under-exposed. On top of this, you've potentially got a huge depth-of-field problem to deal with too.

If you were to retake the picture from the same vantage point, I'd make a greater effort to bring the foreground into focus and even up the exposure (I'm not sure how to do the latter, though). Alternatively, I would have tried to move forward so that the Basilica filled more of the frame. As it is, you've got an interesting subject that's too small and surrounded by a blur.

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemert View Post

Your shot of St. Peter's through the keyhole had the potential to be a great shot, but it would probably also be the most difficult shot to do well. On the exposure side, if you set your exposure for the 'tunnel' then the Basilica will be over-exposed (it looks to me like this is what you got), but if you set for the Basilica your tunnel will be under-exposed. On top of this, you've potentially got a huge depth-of-field problem to deal with too.

If you were to retake the picture from the same vantage point, I'd make a greater effort to bring the foreground into focus and even up the exposure (I'm not sure how to do the latter, though). Alternatively, I would have tried to move forward so that the Basilica filled more of the frame. As it is, you've got an interesting subject that's too small and surrounded by a blur.

Agree on all counts.  I played with this shot for a while & really couldn't make anything work.  There was a short line of people all waiting to peer through a keyhole that was about a half inch in diameter.  I kept having to get back in line to take another shot.  I finally gave up & settled for just capturing the novelty of the keyhole perfectly aligned to offer an unobstructed view of the the Basilica dome from across the river.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page