Photo Assignment, Aug 31 - Sept 13: Fortuitous - KickRunners.com

#1 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 0

Definition of FORTUITOUS

: occurring by chance
a : fortunate, lucky <from a cost standpoint, the company's timing is fortuitousBusiness Week> b : coming or happening by a lucky chance <belted down the stairs, and there was a fortuitous train — Doris Lessing>

Well, lets see what you can do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Likes Earned: 22

Oh boy.  Another one I suggested.  I'm so sorry folks.

BUT....this could be very interesting!

It really could be cool.

We just need more input this time.

Now GO!

#3 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

Oooh, this could be fun!

This photo describes "fortuitous" to me, since Joe (mmoonptdeux) and I had passed this waterfall on our way out of Yosemite after a long afternoon of hiking, then decided to u-turn and get one last set of photos.  It was here that we figured out that we each wanted something more than friendship.  A fortuitous decision indeed.

Still, I won't post the photo directly, since it isn't a new photo and thus doesn't quite fit the spirit of the photo assignment threads.  I leave Saturday a.m. to spend a week with him, where most of the week will be on a road trip to Oregon to do some hiking etc.  Perhaps I will be gifted with the opportunity to capture something appropriate for the thread.

Kris

#4 of 18 Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

See, that's what I love about these topics...a multitude of interpretation...

I gotta go out and find my fortuitous-ness....

#5 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tee View Post

See, that's what I love about these topics...a multitude of interpretation...

Right.  See, I was thinking that most of my photos that I deem "good" or "decent" are, in fact, fortuitous.  As in, "I have no idea what I'm going behind the camera, but **** that was a fortuitious shot."  But, I won't go that route.  I'll try to capture "fortuitous" instead.

#6 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Right.  See, I was thinking that most of my photos that I deem "good" or "decent" are, in fact, fortuitous.  As in, "I have no idea what I'm going behind the camera, but **** that was a fortuitious shot."  But, I won't go that route.  I'll try to capture "fortuitous" instead.

I think the same about mine.  It's certainly not because I know what the heck I'm doing! 

Kris
#7 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 5

I will be on vacation and will try to get a fortuitous shot.  Here's the one from my past that comes to mind.

It's late in the day and we're heading for our B&B in France and will be visiting Mont St. Michel the next day.  Suddenly one of the boys says "There it is!" and points across the fields at the island framed in the light of the setting sun.  I pulled over and took this shot.

05120835.jpg

Purveyor of Awesome since 1958.

#8 of 18 Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM

That is an amazing picture Grizz.

Truly stunning.

#9 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

For me this shot was fortuitous since they hardly ever seem to open their mouth!

100_0081.JPG

#10 of 18 Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Actually, there's a lot of color in that shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaboiler View Post

For me this shot was fortuitous since they hardly ever seem to open their mouth!

100_0081.JPG

#11 of 18 Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 AM - Thead Starter

This one was fortuitous for me.  I was with the kids for their first day back at school.  Anyone who has ever taken photos of their kids knows that getting them to go along with what you want them to do is not always the easiest thing.  So after the usual mug shot type photos, my kids finally started to relax, and goof off with the kids from next door.  That is when I got this shot.  It is of my youngest son, when he and his buddy were discussing ways of torturing their new teacher   It was shot literally from the hip.  I just had the camera in my hand, pointed it at him and clicked.  I fortuitously ended up with an interesting composition (I think) that is a perfect example of the rule of thirds.

plotting.jpg

#12 of 18 Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield Hills View Post

This one was fortuitous for me.  I was with the kids for their first day back at school.  Anyone who has ever taken photos of their kids knows that getting them to go along with what you want them to do is not always the easiest thing.  So after the usual mug shot type photos, my kids finally started to relax, and goof off with the kids from next door.  That is when I got this shot.  It is of my youngest son, when he and his buddy were discussing ways of torturing their new teacher   It was shot literally from the hip.  I just had the camera in my hand, pointed it at him and clicked.  I fortuitously ended up with an interesting composition (I think) that is a perfect example of the rule of thirds.

plotting.jpg

This is a great photo !  The composition is good, the tone is really nice and the subject is very thought provoking ... he could be thinking or doing a million things and its fun to make up your own story to go with it.  Very nice.  

Smile, breathe and go slowly  ~ Thich Nhat Hanh 
#13 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Likes Earned: 11

7Ave.jpg

I took this picture on an early Thanksgiving day morning while I was working.  The sun was just rising causing a brilliant pink sky.  I grabbed the digital camera and took a shot through the windshield of my vehicle.  No photoshoping or colour enhancing at all.  There seems to be a lot of distorton which I found appealing.

Well put, Torque! . ~ Dcoroner77
#14 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 14

FH090025.jpg

Best I can do for this theme - everything else I can think of would just be more 'luck' in general. This one is the result of trying to get 'just one more frame' out of a roll of film.

#15 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchfield Hills View Post

plotting.jpg

Litch...this is an awesome shot!

And, begs the question...what does fortuitous mean?  Is it a shot of a person who has to go to the bathroom who just happens upon a port-o-potty....or, is it just an awesome random shot, like yours.  There are a million things you could write about this shot (true or not).   It's really cool.

#16 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post

7Ave.jpg

I took this picture on an early Thanksgiving day morning while I was working.  The sun was just rising causing a brilliant pink sky.  I grabbed the digital camera and took a shot through the windshield of my vehicle.  No photoshoping or colour enhancing at all.  There seems to be a lot of distorton which I found appealing.

This is yet another awesome shot.  The color is amazing.  And no enhancement.

#17 of 18 Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemert View Post

FH090025.jpg

Best I can do for this theme - everything else I can think of would just be more 'luck' in general. This one is the result of trying to get 'just one more frame' out of a roll of film.

Cool.  When I took a photo course in college, way back in .... ugh...1979, and of course, we were using black and white and developing and printing ourselves, the professor showed us some photos from previous classes.

One of the pictures was of a concert...the "problem" was, the guy loaded his film incorrectly accidentally, and the film did not advance.  So, he took 20 shots on the same piece of film.  Fortunately for him, it was dark, and his stuff was underexposed, so it didn't wash out.

What he ended up with was 20 pictures on one piece of film, in various angles, etc.  it was a very cool picture.  Sort of what you have here.

#18 of 18 Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Special Member

Fortuitous was a difficult theme.  The best I could do was this one.  While hiking at Lava Beds National Monument, we saw this little guy only because he moved when we came close, thus the fortuitous nature of the photo.  He blended in quite well with the surrounding landscape.

62805_1606188921650_1443978524_1658339_3820441_n.jpg

Kris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page