Photo Assignment, July 27 - Aug 9: Roads, Trails, Pathways - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 41 Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6

Wanted to thank everyone for their input first off.  Haven't had the time until now to comment on others' pics, so here goes

TT - I like the history you mentioned, and I like how the road vanishes into nothingness.  The offset view works great in your second pic

bard - I guess you and I had similar experiences; I do like the bridge trestle and wall/path pics

Grizz - all good, but I love the detail in that second pic especially, with all the gnarled wood etc.

Litch - that hazy lighting turned that pic into something a lot more; nice job

Sputnik - love the first one especially; the runner gives good perspective on how far the path goes.  The other two remind me of some other pics I took that for me didn't quite cut it; yours are a lot better

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
ym
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 0

I know I'm late, but here are my submissions. 

This first one is a broad interpretation of roads.  There is a road in the image though, so it should count!

rtp_01.jpg

This one is definitely a road.  I loved the mist and filtered sunlight.  Hard to capture though.

rtp_02.jpg

This one is more of a path, or a trail?  I don't know.  It was a pathway lined with red benches and the benches were far more interesting to me than the path itself.

rtp_03.jpg

#28 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Clever.  I actually saw the road in the image before I read your message & thought it was very sneaky & clever of you.  All three images are lovely, but I really like the 3rd one best.  I'm probably partial to the 3rd one because it's the most different & perhaps closer to unique.  Maybe that makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ym View Post

There is a road in the image though, so it should count!

#29 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 22

I love the red benches!

#30 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14

I love seeing ym's photos. 

Kris
#31 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
ym
Special Member

Sorry it took me so long to get to this. 

Here are my comments:

Tech Tee – I agree, I love the stories.  The tracks and vanishing point in the first one really make the photo.  I, too, like that the second one is off center and I didn’t notice the can either!  That’s a quick fix with the clone tool though!

mmoon – love the contrast on the first image and the way the light is shining through the columns.  I think stepping to the right and a slight turn to the left would have also shown the row of columns with some of the light showing through, giving depth and a different perspective to the columns and also would have changed your vanishing point to an off-center one.

Love the last two – both are great studies in contrast!  For the Petronas Towers, I agree a step to the right would have allowed a little more view of the towers and less competition between the left tower, the building in front of it and the TV antenna. The sofa – ha!  What a juxtaposition!  The tree looks freshly cut, so I can’t help wondering what was there first, the fallen tree or the sofa? 

bard – I love your path photo!  I really like the POV, it’s kind of like the bug’s eye view and I like how the path leads your eye into the photo and all the way back to where the green belt keeps right on going, with a little turn to the left and another turn to the right and then disappears behind the shrubs.  Others have said it would be nice if the worn path continued a little farther and I agree.  The only other thing I would suggest is to try to get the foreground in focus too since the area of sharpness starts somewhere around the middle of the frame.

Love, love, love the rock wall photo!  It’s perfect!

Your last bridge photo is also really nice.

Grizz – all three are beautiful but my favorite is the last one.  I love the panoramic crop (?) and I like both pathways – the footpath and the waterway.  I like how they are both diagonal (dynamic!) and that they parallel each other – both leading your eye into the frame.

Litch – that’s the look I was hoping to get with my shot!  Yours is beautiful!

Sputnik – yeah, that shaft of bright in the first one is really cool!  It really highlights your subject and I love that he’s on his way out of the frame instead of coming into it.

I’m having a hard time with the second one – there’s so much going on; the path, the people, all those boats…and then municipal works had the audacity to put a light standard right in the middle! Sorry – even though I know the path is the subject, it’s getting lost with all the other stuff.

I love the third one, but think it would benefit from a step to the right and a slight turn to the left to highlight the wall more, especially since that’s the area in focus.  Also, the runner in red is begging to be noticed!

#32 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
ym
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Clever.  I actually saw the road in the image before I read your message & thought it was very sneaky & clever of you.  All three images are lovely, but I really like the 3rd one best.  I'm probably partial to the 3rd one because it's the most different & perhaps closer to unique.  Maybe that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoids View Post

I love the red benches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bard73 View Post

I love seeing ym's photos. 

Thanks ya'll! 

I'm turning the red benches photo into one that looks more like a painting and then I'm going to hang it in a guest room at our cabin.  It's my favorite too.

#33 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym View Post

I love the third one, but think it would benefit from a step to the right and a slight turn to the left to highlight the wall more, especially since that’s the area in focus.  Also, the runner in red is begging to be noticed!

You're absolutely right.  I wanted the focus to be the wall & I intentionally wanted it to be off center.  I think the runner in red might be "begging to be noticed" because she's in the center of the frame.  I agree that I could've stepped to the right & turned slightly to the left & had a better shot with more of the wall showing.  I think it's difficult to look at the image because there's such a sharp contrast between what's in focus & what's not.  Having the wall trail off into the unfocused background (which would've been acheived had more the wall been visible) would make for a better transition.  Maybe I'll take the camera with me again this Sunday & give it another go.  Thanks for the feedback.

#34 of 41 Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 1

Towpath.jpg

Erie Canal Towpath - August 7, 2010

Smile, breathe and go slowly  ~ Thich Nhat Hanh 
#35 of 41 Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2

There are some great pictures submitted here.  I just run on highways and streets with nothing interesting to try and take a picture of.  I will have to think of where and I run and if there is anything decent that I might be able to get a picture of.  I doubt it though.

#36 of 41 Old 09-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2

Here are 2 old ones I took when I was visiting my folks in Baton Rouge.

Granted the second one isn't exactly a path but It looks kind of cool.

Oak Alley:

img232.jpg

Overpass:

img224.jpg

#37 of 41 Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Likes Earned: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaboiler View Post

Here are 2 old ones I took when I was visiting my folks in Baton Rouge.

Granted the second one isn't exactly a path but It looks kind of cool.

Oak Alley:

Overpass:

img224.jpg

Eric....the really cool thing about this one, I think is the lines.

And, also, the REALLY cool burst of light coming out from the vanishing point.  Well, it LOOKS like light, it may be the different coloration of the pilings, but it looks very neat.

#38 of 41 Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM

OK... this has nothing to do with photography...other than the fact that it deals with the pictures of roads that I posted.

It used to be an 8 hour ride from one point to another, and they would frequently ride during the night.

The would set out at 9 PM...in a horse and carriage, and go to sleep.  The horses would continue to walk.  They would wake up 10 or 15 miles down the road.  In the morning.

#39 of 41 Old 09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Special Member

This is the curve of the Sundial Bridge, as seen from directly below.  The curve does not look nearly that strong from the more standard view, seen in the 2nd shot.  Since it is a pedestrian bridge, I figured it fit the theme well enough.  Here is a link to someone else's photo that shows the entire thing. 

60186_1606130120180_1443978524_1658211_1768657_n.jpg

59902_1606129720170_1443978524_1658208_3286498_n.jpg

Kris
#40 of 41 Old 10-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Special Member

Taken earlier today:

33613_1645172096205_1443978524_1737667_4636137_n.jpg

Kris
#41 of 41 Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM