Un Registered Guests Limitations - KickRunners.com
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member
 
satfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maple Plain, Mn.
Posts: 3,814
Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 14
There is a feature I can activate in our new software that, in effect, will encourage non members (guests) to register.

What it would do is allow guests to view as they do now (no additional permissions) - but we can set a limit on how many 'peeks' they get - A message will apear in the forum area letting them know they have a limited amount of 'views' then encourage them to register.

Purpose: To encourage visitors to register

What are your thoughts? We can set the number of visits to what we'd like. I'd say 25 or so.. but wanted your input on this.


I like the idea of encouraging lurkers (non- registered) to join.
satfix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 7 Old 05-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Special Member
 
choovie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,810
Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
Subscribe me please.

You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!
-- Doctor Who
My Blog
choovie is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Special Member
 
millbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UT
Posts: 3,698
Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 2
How would search engines be affected? I don't think you want to limit that kind of access, right?

What about someone who follows a link from another site? If I follow a link to a site that requires me to register before I can see what I came to see, I usually forget it.

A registered user might occasionally want to log out and browse the site as a guest (for privacy or some other reason). I guess that would no longer be possible?

I understand that in all of these cases guest access would work for a while, but once it was shut off, it might discourage some visitors.
millbot is offline  
 
#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2008, 05:15 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member
 
satfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maple Plain, Mn.
Posts: 3,814
Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 14
Actually - No, that wouldn't be the case. You can set it so 'unregistered' users can view xxxx amount of times before they're required to register.

I'm not sure I want it either. I just threw it out there to get your input on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by millbot
How would search engines be affected? I don't think you want to limit that kind of access, right?

What about someone who follows a link from another site? If I follow a link to a site that requires me to register before I can see what I came to see, I usually forget it.

A registered user might occasionally want to log out and browse the site as a guest (for privacy or some other reason). I guess that would no longer be possible?

I understand that in all of these cases guest access would work for a while, but once it was shut off, it might discourage some visitors.
satfix is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Moderator
 
willrun4chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,649
Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
I don't know either. I think people need a lot of views here to decide if they like it and get the feel of the community. I'm not sure I'd register if they cut me off after so many views. I might just go to RunnersWorld.

Is there a way to send PM's and e-mails to new registrants that outline the benefits of buying a membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satfix
Actually - No, that wouldn't be the case. You can set it so 'unregistered' users can view xxxx amount of times before they're required to register.

I'm not sure I want it either. I just threw it out there to get your input on it.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
willrun4chocolate is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member
 
satfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maple Plain, Mn.
Posts: 3,814
Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrun4chocolate
I don't know either. I think people need a lot of views here to decide if they like it and get the feel of the community. I'm not sure I'd register if they cut me off after so many views. I might just go to RunnersWorld.

Is there a way to send PM's and e-mails to new registrants that outline the benefits of buying a membership?
As we move forward, they'll be additional information on the premium package. And as far as 'un-registered' users. I think we'll leave it as it is and not limit the unregistered guests from how long they can 'lurk'. We can use the 'notices' to notify people - for example, "Lurkers" who have registered but haven't posted yet are encouraged to post. We could do the same for 'unregistered' users.


Thanks for the feedback !
satfix is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Addicted Member
 
Floridaboiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Johns, Florida
Posts: 13,640
Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I kind of like that idea. Especially if they do peek in say 10 times or something then they must like some part of the site.
Floridaboiler is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off