Morley Fall Festival 5K - KickRunners.com

#1 of 1 Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Written October 3, 2009 by robmckim2:

2nd place PR!!

It was a perfectly beautiful morning for the Morley Fall Festival 5K in quaint little Morley, Mo today as I set a PR.

Although I have not been training due to my son’s catastrophic illness and hospital stays all summer long, I accepted my cousins invitation knowing that I have done only a little running over the past few weeks, none totaling 3.1 miles but Morley is where many of my relatives reside, so I didn’t want to miss an opportunity to see a few of them!

It was a crisp 50 degrees (estimated) as we lined up at the starting line and heard the crack of the starters pistol. Running with my cousin for the first couple of minutes, I decided to go on ahead and see if I could do what I had set out as my goal for the day; a sub-30 minute 5K. The sun was still low in the sky but bright and it felt good as the cool air gently blew across my warming skin.

I didn’t complete it with the grace of an elite marathoner and I certainly don’t “look” like a runner but I felt great coming in the last few hundred meters running and stretching my legs out further than I had the whole run. I was so excited watching the clock the last stint that I felt NO PAIN-I was doing it, setting a PR and reaching my goal for the morning…sub-30 minutes! When I crossed the finish line at 29:37 I could barely breathe but i got my stick and moved on to catch my cousin and finish with her.

I’m sure I looked like a dork, walking around all morning with my medal around my neck but honestly, I was giddy! This was the first time I got anything (other than t-shirts) from my running and I got 2nd place in my age group; something I definitely did not expect. I didn’t set any World Records and although there wasn’t much competition I know that I am my biggest competitor!

Today I love running…anyone else!?!

Rob
OlllO
It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page