Tortilla Española (Spanish Omelette) - KickRunners.com

#1 of 9 Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Tortilla Española

Serves 6

2 potatoes (I prefer Yukon Gold or Russet in a pinch) peeled and sliced into rounds or cubes
1 large or 2 medium onions (I like sweet/Vidalia onions but any kind of onion is good)
6 large eggs
1 tbls of vegetable broth (optional)
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Break the 6 eggs into a bowl, beat them a bit and add a little bit of salt and the tbls of vegetable broth. (You can use any kind of broth or no broth at all; this is the secret ingredient used in many tapas bars to keep the tortilla from drying out and give it a nice texture.) Set aside.
3. Cover the potato pieces with water (and a big pinch of salt) in a pan, bring the water to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Drain.
4. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan and add the potatoes. Saute them gently (try not to break up the potato pieces too much) on medium heat until they begin to get a nice color, about 15 minutes. Set the potatoes aside.
5. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the same saute pan (you don't have to clean it after the potatoes) and saute them on medium heat for about 10 minutes. I like mine to be quite soft and slightly caramelized, but if you want a crunchier tortilla, cook them for a shorter time.
6. Place the potatoes and onions together in a 10-inch oven-proof non-stick saute pan. (I use the same pan, which has sloping sides and oven-proof handles to saute the potatoes and onions and cook the tortilla). Add a little more olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper and mix together gently. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes/onions. You may have to push down on the potatoes a little to help the eggs cover them.
7. Cook in the 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until it appears to be firm. If your eggs start to brown (they shouldn't), you can drop the heat a little.

I serve the tortilla by removing it from the pan and cutting into wedges after it's cooled considerably. It's a great anytime snack and will keep for a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Ah, I see.

I used to try this without boiling the potatoes first.

You can imagine how that went.
#3 of 9 Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Special Member

I planned to make this for dinner last night. Alas, I'd forgotten to buy eggs at the grocery store. Boo!

#4 of 9 Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM - Thead Starter

And hard to do without them! I've made this with Egg Beaters, btw, but the texture just isn't the same.
#5 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Special Member

I have one tortilla espanola cooking on the stove and a second one in the oven right now. I guess my potatoes were too big because I ended up with lots! When I saw them in the pan, I didn't think there'd be enough room for everything else! So now I have LOTS! Who wants some?
#6 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Special Member

Lelly.. How did it turn out?

Sounds relaly good.. I wanna make one!!
#7 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Special Member

I can see cutting a piece and wrapping it up with a flour tortilla. Probably not authentic, huh?

mmmm. hungry.
#8 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Special Member

they're very good, TF. i usually make one for breakfast on easter morning.
#9 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciaflower View Post
I can see cutting a piece and wrapping it up with a flour tortilla. Probably not authentic, huh?

mmmm. hungry.
Who cares about authentic? In lots of homes it's a way of using up leftovers, and they'll throw anything into their tortilla. (For the tapas bars, it keeps you there longer.)

Have you had chilaquiles? It's a Mexican breakfast dish that is a delicious way to use up stale tortillas. I'm guessing you guys in TX have it on some menus there?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page