White Chicken Chili - KickRunners.com

#1 of 1 Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0
I have won several chili cook-off's with this recipe and about once or twice a year my husband will come home with a request from his buddies to bring it to work. Until last year I was the only person I knew who made this, but some of you may also make it or your own version. I originally found it in a Sunday coupon section for McCormick spices many years ago. The original recipe is listed along with my modifications as I rarely cook from an exact recipe and usually make a lot more than the basic. I think it would be good to adapt as a vegetarian recipe but haven't tried it yet, with vegetable broth if you can't use chicken broth and black beans along with the white...

White Chicken Chili

Spice Blend:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried cilantro
1/8 to ¼ ground red pepper

Note: This is the proportions for the published recipe. I usually make a very large batch (multiply by at least 6) of this and store it in the cupboard and then add as needed. I also use the same spice mix instead of chili powder in my red chili. It has much more flavor than regular chili powder.

Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil (used for cooking the chicken, can be eliminated to reduce the fat)
1 and ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into ½ inch cubes (can also use bnls. chicken thighs or leftover chicken)
¼ cup (at least) chopped fresh onion
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 can white kidney beans (cannelloni), undrained. Can use other white beans like great northern or navy.

Garnishes: sliced scallions or onions, any kind of cheese

Basic Recipe:
  • Place all ingredients for spice blend in small dish and stir until well blended. Set aside. See note above
  • Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken cubes and onions and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring, until chicken is white.
  • Stir in chicken broth, chilies, and spice blend. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes.
  • Stir in beans and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Top with cheese and scallions to serve.
This basic recipe makes 4 servings (1 cup or 1-1/2 cups I think)

Lisa’s modifications:
  • The basic recipe doesn’t make enough for my family. I usually expand this by adding more chicken broth and more beans and adding the spice blend until it tastes good to my husband. You don’t necessarily have to increase the chicken if you do this but you can. It’s cheaper if you don’t. I think even the basic recipe, if you follow it exactly, needs more of the spice blend but keep the proportions right. Sometimes you may need to also add a little bit of salt. Here is an example of what I end up using to fill my 8-quart saucepan:
      • 6-8 cans of white beans
      • 2-3 pounds of chicken
      • Between 10-14 cups of water (keep putting water in until the chicken is covered before you simmer it, then add more if needed when you add the beans), and half a dozen or so chicken boullion cubes.
      • 2 cans of green chilies
      • at least 1 cup of chopped onions
      • at least 3 tablespoons of the spice blend
      • just a few shakes of salt from the salt shaker
      • thicken it if you want to (see next note)
  • The original recipe can also be a little soupy or thin. My husband likes it more thick, so I thicken it with cold water mixed with cornstarch, add to chili and bring it to a boil until it thickens.
  • I am too lazy to make chicken broth and it is expensive to buy if you’re expanding this recipe. You can measure out your water and put it in the pan and then just add ½ to 1 chicken bouillon cube for every cup of water you use. By the time you’re done the bouillon will have dissolved.
  • I almost always skip the olive oil and just cook the chicken with no oil. Especially if you use thighs instead of breasts, there is plenty of moisture in the meat to keep it from sticking.
  • I also usually drain my beans and rinse them, and then add chicken broth or water instead of the fluid from the beans.
  • None of my soup recipes are exact, so just keep adding spice mix or whatever else you think it needs until it tastes good. I’ve even completely forgotten the chicken boullioun before and never noticed by the time I was done, and it tasted fine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page