Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 5
Grizzly's friend Colleen’s Pesto
· 2 cups fresh basil, washed and patted dry
· 4 good size garlic cloves, peeled, and chopped. What the heck, make it 5 if you like garlic.
· 1 cup shredded walnuts (yes... instead of pine nuts. Less expensive, just as good - but make sure that they aren't rancid!)
· 1 cup olive oil
· 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan
· ¼ cup fresh grated Romano
· Salt and pepper to taste
Combine the basil, garlic, and nuts in a food processor and chop. Leave the motor running and add the oil in a slow, steady stream. Shut off the motor and add the cheeses, salt, and a liberal amount of pepper. Process briefly. Scrape into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. To keep for longer periods cover the top with a thin layer of olive oil.
This is the real deal. Wunnerful stuff with pastas. You can also make a dip out of it by pouring it over some light cream cheese.
It goes without saying that a nice white wine, or better yet a good Belgian beer would be a treat too.
Purveyor of Awesome since 1958.