seed ticks! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0

When I finished my trail run today, I took my shoes and socks off to rinse my legs and my feet/toes were COVERED with seed ticks!  I am pretty sure I have gotten them all off my body but my shoes and socks are still literally crawling with them.  I didn't know what to do to get rid of them so I sprayed my shoes with bug spray and threw them in a plastic trash bag along with my socks and tied a knot in it...when I got home, the ticks are escaping the bag so it must not be airtight.  Any ideas on how to get rid of the little buggers?  How long do I have to wait until they die off?  I'd like to wear those shoes again! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Likes Earned: 11

Yuck! I bet Deet does it, but that may not be the best for the shoes or you. Can you freeze em to death? I despite ticks.

#3 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Likes Earned: 16

Not sure what seed ticks are, but if they are anything like the wood ticks and deer ticks that we get around here, then drowning them in rubbing alcohol seems to work pretty quickly. DEET does seem to work to prevent them from crawling over you in the first place.

#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

Seed ticks are tiny baby ticks, smaller than a pin head.  When you get them on you usually it's not just one or two, it's hundreds. Sorry, I should have explained.  When you are freckle-y person like me, making sure you get them all is pretty much a matter of watching the freckles and see which ones are still crawling!  I tried something new at the trail yesterday related to the rubbing alcohol--hand sanitizer!  Mostly to see if it would kill the chiggers right away but it's thicker and I don't need cotton balls to apply.  That and wiping my legs with a towel got the ticks off my legs...so far no itch from chiggers.  I think they will die on my shoes if I leave them in the bag because they won't have food...I'll check on them today--I may have to find a better bag that is more airtight.  The freezer idea is interesting--I could throw the whole thing in my deep freezer! 

#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 AM

Likes Earned: 0

can you put each shoe in a ziploc freezer bag and then freeze? then the bag would be sealed...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page