describe differeces between road and ultra/trail running... - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
I got home from work tonight and had a message to call a writer for our local newspaper ... he ended up asking me to tell him the differences between training and nutrition for ultra/trails as compared to road racing ...

what would you tell him?

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

***haha ... disclaimer ... obviously I live in a town that doesn't have a strong running network, let alone ultra/trail one since they called ME

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#3 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 1
Likes Given: 0
Sporti,

As you know, I'm new to this too. Other than the obvious things (train on surfaces and in conditions similar to the upcoming race), I think the answer may be different for those at the front of the pack and someone like me. For me, I think the biggest difference is in pacing. In trail ultras, I feel like I have to consume more protein than I would in a road race, where GUs will do. To be able to digest protein bars, nuts, etc., I run more slowly (keep HR down) on the trails than on the road. This slowness comes naturally, as trails are harder to navigate and often have more ups and downs. Slower running also reduces sweating, which can be important to those of us who always lose weight during a race. Training can also be different in that run/walking is acceptable for training runs over 20 miles.

#4 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Road racers = obsessing about things like speed work, splits, short shorts, eating like a rabbit, training logs, enjoying the thrill of victory, and finding every method to beat your competitors.

Ultrarunning = eating anything and everything, drinking beer, joking around with other ultrarunners, enjoying the journey, and doing everything in your power to help your comrades reach the finish line.
#5 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Great answer Jason. I totally agree.
#6 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Place Jason View Post
Road racers = obsessing about things like speed work, splits, short shorts, eating like a rabbit, training logs, enjoying the thrill of victory, and finding every method to beat your competitors.

Ultrarunning = eating anything and everything, drinking beer, joking around with other ultrarunners, enjoying the journey, and doing everything in your power to help your comrades reach the finish line.
Not sure these categories are mutually exclusive.
#7 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post

I tend to agree with roots on this ...

the article might be in tomorrow's paper ... I'll see how I 'read', hahaha ...

#8 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
Agreed. It was a sweeping generalization. I've experienced very laid back road racers (and races); I've also experienced douchey ultrarunners.
#9 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Place Jason View Post
Agreed. It was a sweeping generalization. I've experienced very laid back road racers (and races); I've also experienced douchey ultrarunners.

I'm douchey?

dammit!

#10 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 AM

Sporti- I've never encountered a douchey Kickster!
#11 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
I am a road ultra guy mostly but

When I trained for marathons - I ran a lot (120+ per week). When I train for ultras I run a lot. I often say I follow my marathon training + add 1 really long run each week or every other week. If I were training for a trail race, the long run would be on trails + 1 other run on trails each week. I do not live close to trails, so 2 is the limit.

I still do a little speed training, but usually 1x per week instead of 2

Ultra runners (in general) understand their nutritional needs - Hydration, electrolyte, carsbs, protein ets better than most road runners. They (ultra) are better in tune with their bodies.

I find ultra runners are much more willing to run easy pace, easy and just go out and enjoy a run. Many road racers run way to fast.

Lots of other differences, but I need to go to work.
#12 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Likes Earned: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportiGrl View Post
I tend to agree with roots on this ...

the article might be in tomorrow's paper ... I'll see how I 'read', hahaha ...
Well? Was it in? Have you seen it? How'd you read?

(inquiring minds... )
#13 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
Well? Was it in? Have you seen it? How'd you read?

(inquiring minds... )
no .. not there yet ... he'd told me maybe Sat ... we don't have a Sunday here ... and it wasn't in Monday's ... I have a feeling this is going to be like the article on me after I did the c-bus marathon and qualified for beantown the first time ... it was nearly a week after they said it'd appear before it did ... but that time it was actually the thanksgiving edition!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page