2010 North Coast 24 Hour - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

dunno flounder, since mack is going, i would assume he is crewing for her.she's not registered yet, but matt chaffin told me she is likely...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Likes Earned: 16

Anyone know if you can camp there the Friday night before the race?

#28 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15

No camping

Last year I did a price line thing and got a $50 hotel but then paid $20 parking.  It was a bit loud.

I do not know what my runner(s) and I will be doing this year yet.

#29 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM

That's a shame. May sleep in the car tho' :) Or find a fleabag motel for the one night

Just checked the Holiday Inn Express - $181/night.   

#30 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

i am staying at the marriot and it was in the neighborhood of $79 (plus all the BS fees), but you hafta pre-pay:

it;s the cleveland airport marriot on w. 150th street. my confirmation says i was charged $91 altogether... looks like a nice place and since it's not right downtown there shouldn't be the hassles with traffic and parking. i booked through hotels.com to get the pre-pay price break

#31 of 100 Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Special Member

Hi everyone. I'm on the fence. I've thought about it but have not signed up.

I went out to Edgewater a few weeks ago to run a few laps and while part of me is constantly inspired by Flounders World 24, the other part of me considers the insanity of running in circles.

Undecided.

#32 of 100 Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Special Member

Do it!

#33 of 100 Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 AM

duuuude, it is not at all like running it in training. doing loops in training is hellish and boring, but when there is a race on, boy is it exciting and fun. timed races are my favorite thing... the comraderie, the strategizing... it's awesome. roots, if you live nearby, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post

Hi everyone. I'm on the fence. I've thought about it but have not signed up.

I went out to Edgewater a few weeks ago to run a few laps and while part of me is constantly inspired by Flounders World 24, the other part of me considers the insanity of running in circles.

Undecided.

#34 of 100 Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM

+1 to that. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Hinson Lake last year - 1.52 mile loops for 24 hours. Terrific fun. Crewing is fun too - is pacing allowed at this one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellerz View Post

duuuude, it is not at all like running it in training. doing loops in training is hellish and boring, but when there is a race on, boy is it exciting and fun. timed races are my favorite thing... the comraderie, the strategizing... it's awesome. roots, if you live nearby, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once.

#35 of 100 Old 08-14-2010, 10:48 AM

pacing for non-championship runners as long as you don't impede traffic. sorry, i guess you can't wear your inflatable sumo wrestling suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jim View Post

+1 to that. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Hinson Lake last year - 1.52 mile loops for 24 hours. Terrific fun. Crewing is fun too - is pacing allowed at this one??

#36 of 100 Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Special Member

I have found some shelter -

I see the entrant list updated - Getting more competitive all the time

Both my ladies are signed up

I have a couple of rooms booked for Friday

Now if someone can make sure we have nice and cool and dry weather ?

If the weather cooperates I think we have a real chance for some big numbers out there - Its gonna be fun!

#37 of 100 Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM - Thead Starter

if anyone is still looking - there's a Travelodge in Lakewood - just west of Edgewater Park.  And a Days Inn close to that.  Travelodge rates are $55/night.  Can't vouch for either but I know a couple racers stayed at the Travelodge last year.

#38 of 100 Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Special Member

I think we are starting to get momentum for the 24 hour race in the US - An exciting time.

2009 = Women win team silver @ World Championship

2010 = Men win team Bronze + individual silver + AR

There seems to me more young talented runners giving the 24 hour a go. Last year the US championship race ... Mens side had some excitement with Jurek, James and Godale all flying around the course early @ breakneck speed - Godale was just trying to make the US 100k team. In the end it was veterans Phil McCarthy 1st (151) and John Geesler 2nd (139) - new to 24 hour, but not ultra running Dan Rose 3rd (139)

Women - Connie Garder was going for the women's AR, Jill Perry was keeping pace pretty well. Always consistent Deb Horn was just going for a 12 hour distance for 50 YO, after that she just settled into doing her thing. Anna Piskoska was a relative unknow, realing off miles early. In the end Connie dropped, Jill Perry (136) in 1st, Anna (133) in 2nd and Deb (129) 3rd.

This year I would predict with the increase interest in the 24 hour race and this race in particular, we will see at least 1 more suprise on the mens and womens side. I do think on the mens side it will take 150 (weather permitting) to make the podium and 135 on the womens side - But that might just be the fan in me being pumped up about the race!

Who are your dark horses to make the podium ???

#39 of 100 Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

dark horses?

ME!!!

oh.. i thought you said SLOW horses... sorry.

idk about any dark horses this year, though i'd love to see amy p-w stand on the podium. also, matt chaffin is a great guy and was on the 2009 team, and i'd like to see him go again... never know how things are gonna shake out. one of the favorites has a bad day, one of the underdogs has a good day and everything is turned on it's head!

you know what i am surprised about? zach gingerich's total at FANS. i don't know the story.. maybe he only ran for 16 hours and stopped or maybe he was hurt or knew he had the win and bagged it.. but the dude can run 100 miles in 13 hours on tough terrain, seems to me that 150 would've been an easy bet on him. i half expected to see him sign up for NC, but i don't know what his goals are. maybe FANS was a fun run

i am glad (and not because i am the RD of a timed race .. though it doesn't hurt) to see timed races making a comeback these days. i think they are the perfect venue for all the ultrarunning comraderie and fun, they take the getting lost/attacked by a bear/ falling off a cliff/ running out of water business out of the equation and you can just run for the joy of running.

this year should be interesting...really looking forward to it. now, i am off for a 7 hour walk... gotta get those walking muscles in good shape, i have a stinky feeling i am going to be using them A LOT!

#40 of 100 Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
you know what i am surprised about? zach gingerich's total at FANS. i don't know the story.. maybe he only ran for 16 hours and stopped or maybe he was hurt or knew he had the win and bagged it.. but the dude can run 100 miles in 13 hours on tough terrain, seems to me that 150 would've been an easy bet on him. i half expected to see him sign up for NC, but i don't know what his goals are. maybe FANS was a fun run

My guess is that he used FANS as a buildup to his win at BADWATER in July.  There is no doubt he could have run well over the 122M he posted during that race.  During an interview he made with a local Illinois paper, he stated that he intends to find a 24hr race in the fall to see what he is made of.  Maybe NC24 will be the one?

#41 of 100 Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Special Member

I was there - I volunteered all 24 hours + 2 setup and 1 teardown

Zach did not taper - He wanted a long run and a night run.  He did not run too fast, he had a nice pace.  He had some naggy issue - He was almost draging his leg behind him the last few hours.  What I saw there - He definately has what it takes mentally to hit one out of the park - Just needs to have a 24 hour as a goal race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunningman View Post

My guess is that he used FANS as a buildup to his win at BADWATER in July.  There is no doubt he could have run well over the 122M he posted during that race.  During an interview he made with a local Illinois paper, he stated that he intends to find a 24hr race in the fall to see what he is made of.  Maybe NC24 will be the one?

#42 of 100 Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 PM

wow - what a race that would be! so humbling to be able to take part in the national championships! and fun to tell people that i am doing it... they don't realize that any old joe nobody can participate.

i just go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunningman View Post

#43 of 100 Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Special Member

http://www.northcoast24.org/entrants.html

Entrant list updated again -

The women's side continues to excite

Lisa Bliss

Kim Martin

138 strong

#44 of 100 Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM

got an email from RD today addressed to all the ladies who are registered. mark one mrs. perry down as well. woohoo... it's gonna be a RACE people!

#45 of 100 Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Really looking forward to watching this unfold from the sidelines.

#46 of 100 Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Special Member

Now Mark Godale, Zach Gingerich, David James and Scott Jurek just need to show up on the men's entrant list.  I will settle for 2 out of 4.  Don't get me wrong, its a strong Men's field ... just need to add 2-3 more heavy hitters to be close to the women's side.

I do believe (Or at least hope) that it takes 160+ for the men and 140+ for the women to win this puppy.  I am also thinking (hoping) it takes 150+ and 134+ to make the men's / women's team (Top 3).  But weather on Lake Erie may have the final say about that.

In 2010 I do believe that the top 6 men and women all excepted their bids to the national team for Worlds - I sure hope that this continues.  If we continue to grow momentum - the women's 2009 silver and the men's 2010 bronze medals, ie podium spots will be the norm and not the exception.

#47 of 100 Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Special Member

Flounder, I can help with crewing. I'm running the YUT-C race on Saturday morning but will be available to offer you relief in the evening or overnight.

Up until about 10 days ago, NC24 was my target race all summer long but I can't pull the trigger this year. Some year I will do the 24.

#48 of 100 Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellerz View Post

pacing for non-championship runners as long as you don't impede traffic.

I read this in the rules. There are pacers allowed? I've only been around a couple timed ultras so I don't know the norm. Can someone explain under what conditions a pacer is needed on a 0.9 mile loop?

#49 of 100 Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Special Member

I think allowing them is this race is a bad decision - On a .9 mile loop there are there to keep you company, encourage you etc.  With 150 runners already on a .9 mile loop - allowing pacers on the course will impede the other racers and the race - If they are gonna allow this - I hope they make the non-entered pacers go on the grass along side the course.

Roots - I plan to hang out all 24 and watch this puppy unfold - Find our tent and bring a lawn chair - We can chat.  The only thing I may do is take a small break to get a run in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post

I read this in the rules. There are pacers allowed? I've only been around a couple timed ultras so I don't know the norm. Can someone explain under what conditions a pacer is needed on a 0.9 mile loop?

#50 of 100 Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Special Member

There is no way pacers will not impede traffic - The course is tight to get 3 people abreast.  Also they will take away the best line to run.  Also this puts a burden on the race officials to see who the non-registered people are with - championship runner or not.

Bad idea ... I hope they reconsider.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page