Trail running shoe questions - KickRunners.com

#1 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 0
I plan on getting into some trail running this year. All of my running so far has been on the pavement or the treadmill. I always wear Asics Kayanos and have completed several marathons in them, but now I'm wondering if there are suggestions for some trail shoes or things that I should look for when buying them. I know everyone is different and there is no single answer for this, but I'm hoping to get some insight from those of you that have been there and done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Likes Earned: 11
Hi,
I run trails in my Kayanos all the time. They work great if the trail is nontechnical and relatively smooth. Anything more with rocks, roots, and technical maneuvering will require a dedicated trail shoe in my opinion. Trail shoes have a more aggressive tread and more support for lateral movement. Some trail shoes have more protection in the sole to prevent sharp stumps or rocks from poking through and bruising your feet.

Joe
#3 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Hey Sudsy

I run and have been running in kayanos for 7 years now. For the technical trail runs I did for my ultra training...I run in Salomon XA Pro 3D ultra GTX...obviously the women's version

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BEIPBK/...K&linkCode=asn

They are comfy like the Kayanos and have served me well...I can buy anew pair and just slip them on and run ..like Kayanos...my feet do not need to "wear" them in. OF course you need to try and see what feels right to you. Good luck smile.gif

MP

ETA..for just dirt roads and non technical trails or if I am training on a combo trail and road..I often just go out in the Kayanos

Whatever you can do,
Or think you can, begin it.
Boldness has power, and genius,
And magic in it.
- Goethe

#4 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Thanks Joe and Mp! I'm hoping to hit some varied trails, so I could use any info I can get so I can start making comparisons.
#5 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Wear whatever is most comfortable...your feet must be happy!
If you like the fit of Asics, then why not wear their trail shoes? I've worn a pair (Can't recall the model, but they were black with yellow) for the Tahoe Trail 100 & the Grand Canyon R2R2R.
#6 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 PM

Some of the things I look for in a trail shoe are good ventilation, quick draining and drying, not that they'll really dry out if soaked and it's rainy, but shoes that move the water and don't keep you soggy.

I also look for shoes that offer a good deal of stability for uneven trails, saves your ankles, with a good set of lugs for traction, an individual thing, and rock protection on sides and toes, but not to the extreme of making the shoes stiff. Cushioning is a good thing for us older runners and I have a tendency to go for lighter trail shoes that have some decent flexibility.

If you find a pair of shoes like this let me know.biggrin.gif

For now, I'm on my 3rd pair of Brooks Cascadias and they've been working great for me, light and flexible enough to use on pavement for those times you need to run to the trail.

Try on a bunch, see what feels right for you.
#7 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Great info guys! I'll start my quest.
#8 of 25 Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Kayanos is my shoe of choice for roads and smooth trails. On more demanding and technical trails I use Montrail’s Cont. Div. This shoe offer good trail grip, drains well, wide toe box (which is great when your feet swell in longer runs), and excellent protection against rocks and roots. They run a little small so order a size up, feel a little heavier (most trail shoes do with underside protection plate and toe guards), and lack in cushing (I use inserts). I’m pleased with the CD, but always looking for a better (not as heavy & large toe box) trail shoe. If anybody knows of one please inform.
Welcome to the trails – You may never return to the road.
TAB
#9 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 16
I run roads and non-technical trails in Brook Adrenalines. When I began my search for a trail shoe, I went with the Brooks trail version of the Adrenaline, oddly enough named Adrenaline ASR. If you are into the Kayano's, see if they have a trail version of the road shoe you like. Good luck in your search and in your trail running!
#10 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19
I have found the Montrail Continental Divide works well for me. I feel like I have more traction... and I roll my ankle a lot less! My only complaint - I wish they had more cushion.

Good luck!
#11 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 1
I've been mostly a Montrail runner, but I do like the Salomon XA Comps except they don't drain well.
Divides we're my favorites but the Montrail Streak is fairly tough for a shoe of that weight, but they wear out fast.
Montrail is suppose to intro the Masochist soon, hopefully tougher.
The sample I saw seemed like a beefier Streak.
My current favorite is the Inov8 Roclite 295 -seems to have the best combination of weight, comfort and durability.
.02 jjj
#12 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Before I got into running, I owned 4 pairs of shoes.... Now I have those 4 pairs + 2 pairs of road runners + a few pairs of trail runners! Here's what I'm wearing right now

I love my La Sportiva Fireblades. They're not too heavy, drain well, fit like a glove, and offer decent protection.

For the winter, I've decided to try out a fell running style shoe: Montrail Highlander. I picked up a pair on SteepAndCheap for $30. The traction on these guys are great. Snow (packed and loose) doesn't slow me down. They don't work so well on ice sad.gif I also love the low profile, my feet feel grounded to the trail if that makes sense. The fit is not perfect, I need to tape the back of my heel.

For casual use, I wear Pearl Izumi Syncroseeks but will occasionally run road and trails in them. They do both equally well. Its nice to pack only one pair of running shoes when travelling for work smile.gif I'll be wearing these at Moab Red Hot 50K+ for the slickrock sections.

Chris G
#13 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM

I'll second the recommendation for the Brooks Cascadia 3s. I used to do all my running in Asics 2030s. I checked out the trail version, but they didn't seem that different from the road version.

Brooks tends to have a similar fit as Asics, so I checked out their trail shoe next. The Cascadias fit well and are a more of a serious trail shoe.
#14 of 25 Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Thanks for all the great input. There are so many choices out there and I would rather get info from here first before I start taking to a sales person.
I prefer to have a "hands on" opinion from those that have been there and done that.
#15 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 16
aren't they supposed to go on your feet?

biggrin.gif
#16 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 AM

Hey, Since we are talking shoes, Does anyone a good one with a netural stance and high arch with a lot of cushion and or what about a good insole Thanks for everyones help on this site. Us slow polks need all the help we can get !!!
#17 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 AM

I used SuperFeet inserts to make up for the lack of high-arch support in most shoes--no guarantee it will work for you, but it allowed me to look at a lot of shoes without caring about the inside of them.

Sometimes cushioned shoes don't work well on trails. Cushioned shoes allow the joints to wobble more (because of the lack of support--duh)--as you go down a trail you are already asking your joints to compensate for the unevenness of the ground. If you add a nice soft cushioned sole, you are increasing the "wobble" factor--could lead to joint irritation. In the end it is still a personal decision.

For several years (I am a dinosaur) I used a midweight training shoe for trails ultras--there were no trail shoes then. The shoe was comfortable on roads or trails. I often think today's huge selection makes it difficult to find a good shoe--then as soon as you find a pair, that model goes out of production.

I really wish that "5k Runner" thing would disappear huh.gif .
#18 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM

gavi- trail runner magazine usually comes out with an early spring issue of trail shoes, reviews and picks, a good source for gathering some info. here's a tag listing a few probably from last fall, not by any means complete, just another resource.
http://www.trailrunnermag.com/article_list.php?id=8
#19 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM

The best advice I received when I was looking for trail running shoes was this:

Get a membership at REI and try out as many as possible. You can take them home, run in them a couple times and return them if they do not work. I do not know where you live, but here in the DFW area, REI is the best place to find trail shoes. Most of the specialty running stores sell only road shoes. If you do not have REI nearby, you can still order from their website.

Enjoy the trails!
Kitrin
#20 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM

You're welcome girlfriend. icon_salut.gif
#21 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Greg,

Was that you? I did not remember who it was, otherwise I would have given you the credit. You are like my guardian angel in many ways. Thank you.

Kitrin
#22 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I second this recommendation. I love my Cascadias.
#23 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 5
It definitely depends on who you are. I wear the INOV-8 Roclite 305
I simply love this trail shoe. Well, at least up to a 70Mile race(Laurel Highlands) so far.

I used to wear the INOV-8 Flyroc 310, but over time, man did they give me blisters on my heal. Even when I went up half size. They were my favorite. Maybe I'll give them a try again this summerbiggrin.gif

However, I am looking to go up in weight/protection and am wonder if anyone has experience with these three models? If so, do they feel clunky like most trail shoes?

Montrail Continental Divide
Inov-8 Roclite 315
Inov-8 Flyroc 345 GTX

------------------------------
My Blog
#24 of 25 Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Yup. No credit needed however. Just glad to help. Keep running!
#25 of 25 Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 AM

crunningman - I haven used the roclite 315's but I have used a pair of 320's and they are hands down the best trail shoes I've used!! They felt light and fit extremely well and had plenty of cushioning without being overdone. Definitely not clunky. Didn't get 'em this time around because it was a little spendy when he time came.

I imagine the flyroc 345's might feel a bit beefier and I've tried on the 315's and they felt a little chunky for my taste; if you're using roclite 305's you might encounter the same feeling. Never used Montrails since they never felt comfortable for me. Just my $.02.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page