Marathon Training 11 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 3 Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Today I ran the farthest I have ever run. 15 miles. FIFTEEN!

The weather today was freakin' glorious! It actually felt a little chilly when I was first up! I got up and had some coff-ay on the deck and had to put on a sweatshirt! I don't know what the temp was at the start of my run but 2.5 hours later it was still only 70.

I knew I had to do it but 15 miles is 1.9 miles longer than anything I've ever run. I was feeling a little intimidated. But dang if I didn't feel pretty strong throughout the run! The last mile hurt. A lot. And my right shin started hurting yesterday and so that hurt from the start, but it never hurt enough for me to call it quits. But that last mile? My entire right leg was hurting. I was actually looking forward to that ice bath.

I had a bowl o' Cheerios for a prerun breakfast. Got my hand held water bottle and a couple Gu packet and my updated iPod. I listened to the most recent Pheddipidations podcast for the first hour. I popped a Gu at mile 6 (PowerBar Vanilla flavor) and I did need to stop and get more water at about mile 11, I think. I thought about taking another Gu but didn't feel like I really needed it. Also took a pee break. New find - Hyvee gas station kindly allowed me to use the facilities and fill my water bottle at the soda fountain - plus ice! Though that made my hand a little cold. Still, it was really nice to have icy cold water to drink, even if it was for just a few more miles. I think I drank too much at first - my stomach felt a wee bit sloshy for a bit, but it passed.

Got home and stretched for 15 minutes to the Kim Fowler Yoga for Runners I have on my iPod - trying to do that after every run because I think it really helps. Then I filled the tub with cold water and lotsa ice - this was The Coldest Ice Bath I have ever gotten into, donned a sweatshirt and swimsuit bottoms, grabbed a hot cuppa java and jumped in! OK, I did not jump in. I eased in. Slowly. I held on to a bath towel - just in case I needed to scream into it. I sat in there for at least 10 minutes reading a magazine and sipping my coffee.

I was afraid I'd be wiped out for the rest of the day after that long run but it's the opposite - I'm totally energized! Super cleaning the house! Lookit me go!

McMillan tells me that my long run pace should be 10:23-11:23, and my average pace for this run was 10:30. Perfect. So overall, I'd say this run was a complete success!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
Great job BigG!! It's great to read how well your training is going. When is your next milestone run?
#3 of 3 Old 08-13-2008, 04:23 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
This week's LR is 11 miles and the next weeks LR is 17 - but that's the weekend I'm doing the Ragnar Relay, so it's going to get fudged up a little bit. But the weekend after THAT I'll be running a straight 18 miles. Egad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page