Solstice - KickRunners.com

#1 of 3 Old 06-20-2008, 08:08 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 5
Sunrise this morning at 5:21, sunset at 9:55. Not quite the longest day, but still a long one.

But after tomorrow the days grow shorter.

In other climates this isn't anything to mourn, there's still months of nice warm weather. Here though, we have yet to see those warm days and the prospect of seeing the days dwindle just reminds me of winter to come.

What? Already?

I see parallels in my running life. I started late, wasted time and miles before I got serious and now on the verge of 50 I know that while I still have some summer ahead of me I ain't going to be setting too many more PRs.

The light lingers here, long after sunset, and long before sunrise it's bright enough to run. As a pre-dawn runner I spend most of the year running in the dark. These few brief weeks allow me to climb to the top of the hill and watch the sun rise. It's a chance to see the world in a whole different light (pun intended). Last year I managed to catch an emerald green flash from the sun just before it rose. Today I crested a hill just as the sun rose, piercing a cloud bank on the horizon, a laser beam of light bathing the tall grass in crimson and gold.

I'll enjoy it while I can. And the running? It's moments like this morning's run on the prairie at dawn that sustain me. Day or night, I'm still a runner.

Purveyor of Awesome since 1958.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 1
Well put. Pre-dawn runner here at heart also and nearing 50 too! I can totally relate to your musings.

ToB: At any rate, oh yeah, existence is futile.....
#3 of 3 Old 06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 0
I like the bit about the emerald green flash of the sun.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page