body fat test- what just happened? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 02:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
At the Y they were offering body fat testing. They had me stand on a scale, which was connected to a computer. Then he asked my age and height. Then he put something in my hands that looks a little like a game controller, and had sensors that touched my palms. Then he told me my BMI and body fat %. Can I assume this is more or less as accurate as a home body fat scale?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
I am never going to understand how a supposed electrical impedance device would need to know height/weight/age ... I think they're all full of crap and just using a computer chip BMI calculator

I am jaded.

and prolly full o' shite.

what'd they try to tell you your BF% was, btw?

was it >31%

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#3 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Likes Earned: 0
He asked you your weight right, too? Did it have a setting for athlete or "normal?"

I use these with my students. Those devices can be up to 5-10% off from your true body composition and they vary widely from test to test depending on your hydration level, how fresh batteries are, etc. I will have a student take two tests in a row and get significantly different results, for example. The data the gadget comes back with is also partly based on %BF "norms" for height/age/weight. So yeah, it's about as accurate as a home scale. I'm sure there are better quality and poorer quality models, though.

I think the method is accurate enough to use as one way to monitor but also go by your measurements, weight, how clothes fit, maybe also have skinfold caliper testing from a skilled technician to corroborate the BIA (handheld gizmo) results.

The highest regarded (and more expensive) body composition tests are DEXA scan, Bod Pod, and hydrostatic weighing.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog

#4 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

It said my bf % was 18.2%. I would have assumed anything from that to 25% was about right. It has the advantage of being quick and free, but I guess it doesn't really tell me anything as a singular data point.

I think statistical "norms" don't necessarily work for me because I am out of normal range for height.

#5 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
at least you got an encouraging percentage

I just redid mine on our fancy crappy bf scale ... 30.4% bodyfat with a BMI of 24.3 and a hydration level of 49.5%

whatever

I'm jealous of jebba ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#6 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
It said my bf % was 18.2%. I would have assumed anything from that to 25% was about right. It has the advantage of being quick and free, but I guess it doesn't really tell me anything as a singular data point.

I think statistical "norms" don't necessarily work for me because I am out of normal range for height.
it's more accurate then home scales because of more points of contact for the impedence (feet and hands). It still has the weaknesses (hydration, etc) all bioelectrical impedence scales have.
#7 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticNotions View Post
it's more accurate then home scales because of more points of contact for the impedence (feet and hands). It still has the weaknesses (hydration, etc) all bioelectrical impedence scales have.
I should add:

1. they are still accurate over time.

2. I would definitely buy in the range of 18.2% for you.

In order of how good things are I should say -

6. Weight
5. Calipers with someone who doesn't know how to use them well
4. Bioelectrical impedence
3. Calipers with someone who knows how to use them
2. Hydrostatic weighing
1. DEXA
**Autopsy (not recommended)
#8 of 13 Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Which one of those 6 is the Bod Pod thing?
#9 of 13 Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Bod Pod works the way hydrostatic weighing does, only you get into a little egg-like contraption rather than submerge underwater.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#10 of 13 Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Okay, so I am almost done with p90x, so at the Y today I asked if they could remeasure me. This time the lady used callipers that were hooked up to a computer. She asked my age and weighed me. Reading was 15.3%

Mr jebba is asking his coworker if she'll let us get a DEXA scan.

#11 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistergoldenhair View Post

He asked you your weight right, too? Did it have a setting for athlete or "normal?"

I use these with my students. Those devices can be up to 5-10% off from your true body composition and they vary widely from test to test depending on your hydration level, how fresh batteries are, etc. I will have a student take two tests in a row and get significantly different results, for example. The data the gadget comes back with is also partly based on %BF "norms" for height/age/weight. So yeah, it's about as accurate as a home scale. I'm sure there are better quality and poorer quality models, though.

I think the method is accurate enough to use as one way to monitor but also go by your measurements, weight, how clothes fit, maybe also have skinfold caliper testing from a skilled technician to corroborate the BIA (handheld gizmo) results.

The highest regarded (and more expensive) body composition tests are DEXA scan, Bod Pod, and hydrostatic weighing.

I also think so.

#12 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Special Member

Autopsy is the most accurate body fat analysis. All the methods used have problems I know someone who got a negative body fat % with hydrostatic weight. He was lean but not negative!  Total body MRI would be quite accurate. 

Really pinch test is the best have much can you grab?  No need to answer just retorical. 

#13 of 13 Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Autopsy is the most accurate body fat analysis...

Think I might pass then wink.gif

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page