Likes Given: 46
Is anyone else doing the P90X program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 239 Old 12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
I just did the minimum fitness test this morning. We start on Friday. I really want to maintain at least 30 mpw while doing the program. I hope that is feasible.

I posted in the run and race reports forum that when we took out measurements, mr jebba and I had the same measurements for our thighs. So either he has chicken legs, or I have speed skater thighs! He is 8 inches taller and 44 pounds heavier. Niether of us is overweight, so I am going with the chicken legs theory.

Are you doing it?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#3 of 239 Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
I just got the DVD's back from a friend I plan on starting back on the program on Jan. 4th 2010. Currently I weight approx. 210 lbs and hoping to get back to my running weight of 170-180lbs max.

Not sure if I want to do the days 1, 30, 60 and 90 photos. But will record my weight on those days.

#4 of 239 Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 24
I didn't do photos or measurements. I probably should have. I may regret it later. Ah well.

I'm in the middle of week 3. Totally digging the program. The first week was quite painful. But I have definitely improved in weight and reps since then and I'm not nearly as sore after the workouts. I feel like I can see differences in my upper body and abs, but notsomuch in my legs, which is where I'd really like to SEE a difference. I haven't run a step since my last marathon Dec. 5th. But I ran three marathons this Fall, so I feel somewhat okay taking a break.

I'd like to start incorporating some running beginning New Years. But in order to fit it in to my day (single parent, working full time, blah blah blah) I'd have to be hitting the treadmill over my lunch hour at work and the place is going to be CRAWLING with New Years Resolutioners.

Did the YogaX today. MAN, it's tough, but GOOD. I feel like a limp noodle right now.

I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing with the program.
#5 of 239 Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 PM

I did day 1 today and it was hard. I hope I can drop some weight with it. The diet plan seems kind of strict so I don't know if I'm going to use it.
#6 of 239 Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm still making excuses about why I'm not doing this ... time constraints and unwilling to hurt that much. I have been easing in to a conditioning program, so maybe I'll reconsider after doing that a while.

P.S. A few others have weighed in on P90x in this thread, too.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#7 of 239 Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM - Thead Starter

Tracy- I haven't been using the diet plan either. I have been trying to simply eat clean - and with the Holidays, failing. I didn't buy that P90X recovery drink either, I've just been throwing together a whey protein smoothie post-workout.

Day 1 was hard for me too, and it made me really sore and the rest of the week was difficult as a result. But after that first week it got better, just so you know.
#8 of 239 Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 AM

Thanks for letting me know it gets easier. I refuse to buy any of their food. They charge you an arm and a leg for a few dvds they should give us the food as well.

I think I am going to like this. It's better than driving 20 miles to the gym.
#9 of 239 Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Special Member

[cross-posted from another forum]

I did the first workout today, and have a few thoughts. I did chest & back and the ab ripper. I can't do even one pull up, so I used resistance bands. I think it is going to take a little while for me to figure out what combination of bands to use. The exercises seemed either too easy or too hard as I kept fiddling with the resistance. The pushups were fine. On the dvd, they'd do 30 or so. I would do 10-15, and then twiddle my thumbs a bit waiting for the next workout. The diamond pushups were impossible.

I also didn't write down the number of reps I did on everything. I may do that eventually, but for now I want to get used to what I am doing.

As for the ab ripper, most of the exercises involving laying back on the floor and coming all the way up were impossible for me. I couldn't do even one of some of those. I thought my abs were pretty strong, but I've done mostly crunches and leg lifts. I'm not sure if it's because I've had two kids that my abs are so weak when sitting all the way up, or if I have been neglecting them more than I thought.

I think the eating will go fine. Not sure how long I'll stay in the high protein/low carb phase. I want to keep running during the program, so I'll need more carbs. **I wrote this earlier, and I have to say it was really, really hard to get close to the recommended 50% protein, 30% carbs. I don't eat much animal protein, and everything else (beans, etc) also have carbs.

#10 of 239 Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM - Thead Starter

I'll tell ya', the first few times I was doing ab ripper I thought I'd never be able to do those moves that start with you lying flat on your back. BUT, the last time I did Ab Ripper X this past week, I was able to do all 25 reps of the first one - the wide legged cross over one. The second one, that V sit up one, is still really friggin hard but I can eke out some at least, whereas before I couldn't do ANY. I am amazed. I really truly didn't think I'd be able to ever do either of them.

The decline push ups and the dive bomber push ups still kill me. I want to be a fit as that german potato soup girl!
#11 of 239 Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Special Member

I did plyo today. It was tough!

#12 of 239 Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM - Thead Starter

The standing and jumping so my knees hit my palms and the 'rock star' jumps - OOF!
#13 of 239 Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Special Member

Yes! I could only hit my knees a couple of times before having to do smaller jumps.

The eating thing is really hard for me.

#14 of 239 Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM - Thead Starter

I'm not even trying the eating plan. I'm just focusing on eating as clean as possible.

I did Core Synergistics for the first time today. Great googley moogley! It was tough! But it's so weird, instead of thinking "**** I never want to have to do that again", I'm thinking "When do I do it again so I can do it better?". For some reason, with this program I find that I'm really pushing myself a lot more. It's a good thing!!
#15 of 239 Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Special Member

Big G - I was wondering how you were liking P90X. This summer, I made it through the second phase then my schedule went to ****. I also found it impossible to run on that diet. I'm thinking I'd like to start again, but with the Lean program this time. Not sure yet. Keep up the good work!
#16 of 239 Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Special Member

I am giving the diet an honest try for a week and see how it goes.

#17 of 239 Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Special Member

Legs and back today. I was pleased to see my legs are pretty strong. Will do abs this evening.

#18 of 239 Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM - Thead Starter

Yeah, I've tried to do the ab ripper immediately following the workout du jour and it just seems 10x harder when I do that. So I've been splitting them up a.m. and p.m. too.

I'm getting a stupid head cold. But I did Kenpo last night anyway and didn't feel any worse for wear. Though I did fall asleep about 10 seconds after my head hit the pillow. Today is StretchX. Tomorrow is Core Synergistics again.

oo and Core Synergistics unearthed some muscles that had heretofore gone unnoticed. oy!
#19 of 239 Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 1
I started this over the summer and then stopped. I'm trying to hype myself up to do it again!
#20 of 239 Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 AM - Thead Starter

DO IT! DO IT!

Also, X Stretch right before bedtime is just the ticket. mmmmm I feel like buttah.
#21 of 239 Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM - Thead Starter

I've been battling a stupid head cold this week. I nearly bagged my Core Synergistics workout last night because I didn't feel like bringing anything anywhere. But I got my workout duds on and figured if I felt really bad I'd quit. But instead, the workout made me feel loads better! And I still feel better today! Whoopee!
#22 of 239 Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 AM - Thead Starter

YogaX tonight. oof. I was actually starting to to get the half moon and twisting half moon poses. Then fell on my face during crane.

Still. I feel like butter now.
#23 of 239 Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Special Member

Just finished Chest and Back for week 2. It was easier than last week, but still tough. The diamond pushups kill me, and I can't do a single pull-up without significant assistance from the chair.

#24 of 239 Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Just finished Chest and Back for week 2. It was easier than last week, but still tough. The diamond pushups kill me, and I can't do a single pull-up without significant assistance from the chair.
I think I might be able to manage ONE pull up at the very beginning of the workout without the chair but the rest require plenty of chair help. Which initially made me wonder how much benefit I'm getting if I have to use the chair so much. But I just figured I have to focus on using my upper body as much as possible and try to not rely on my legs much even though they're on the chair. If I put my mind to it, it makes a difference.

Tomorrow I start Phase II - I heard that there are one armed push ups!!
#25 of 239 Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Special Member

Day 9 complete - plyo. Some of the moves are incredibly hard for me, and others are pretty easy. I notice that instead of intensifying the easy ones, I use them as little breaks. My goal for the 90 days is to push the whole workout by the time I'm done.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page