Glute Activation - KickRunners.com

#1 of 5 Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Does anyone know much about glute activation? A woman at the gym was telling me about it, so I looked it up and the concept behind it makes sense. Has anyone tried glute activation exercises with great success? Does it improve your running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Inactive glutes are a frequent problem for people now. Especially with all the sitting we do, the glutes don`t get used very much.

The exercises I`ve done to improve my glutes both in size and function are deadlifts and squatting. I`ve also been working some now on doing pistols or one-legged squats, especially since doing them one-legged helps to activate the auxiallary gluteus medius which is important for stabilizing the pelvis.

I`m at a point now where it feels like it`s making a difference in my running. I`ve noticed now that I`m not having so much tilting back and forth of the pelvis while running.

But it`s a very good idea to give the glutes some attention. Oftentimes muted hip function results in pains and aches elsewhere, pulled hamstrings, ITBS, etc.
#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 3
My PT suggested this: While running, imagine you have a quarter between your cheeks and you squeeze them sufficiently to keep the quarter from dropping. IOW, engage your glutes.

Well, it didn't work. But imagining a $100 bill did the trick.

Awaiting the comeback of velour jumpsuit couture.

#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Special Member

I've just started working on glute activation now. Having suffered from multiple problems of the hips, back, glutes and hamstrings for a few years now. I've tried all sorts of treatment and exercises so i,m hoping this will help. I'll let you know if this works out..

good link below: also has a ling to hip mobility exercises that are very helpful.

Also another trick if you have tight piriformis muscles. When performing bridges place a tennis ball or towel between the knees, when your glutes are off the ground and flexed press your knees together and hold for 10 seconds this helps relax the piriformis will the glutes are flexed.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimi...te-activation/

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html
#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Special Member

Had my glutes activated by a professional today.

....at my scheduled meeting with an Osteopath (OP). After 5 sessions to work on placing my hip back in alignment and my upper spine unlocked (Stiff). He has finally started to work on determining which muscles are out of whack (Weak, tight or inactive) and causing my hip to shift and the never ending back pain.

It was interesting that the session today was centered around finding out which muscles may be inactive and he focused on the glutes. I did several movements with the OP and he noticed immediately that my hamstrings were doing most of the work that the glutes should be doing so we slowed it down and worked on my concentrating on using the glutes and not hamstrings. To be honest with you i found it very difficult to use the glutes. The next session will be in the gym showing me the proper technique for some exercises to work the glutes.

I'll keep posting to let you know how things work out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page