Heavy arms while running - KickRunners.com

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Whenever I run, my upper arms feel heavy. They feel like they are weighing me down. Does that make any sense? I was hoping that weight training would help that feeling, but from the little I've run this winter, I can't see that it has. Does anyone else experience this, and how do you combat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Special Member

Does it feel like they're going numb?
#3 of 7 Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Special Member

At some point while slugging mile after mile, everyone experiences this. A few things I do is: 1) I shake my arms to loosen them; 2) I raise it up in the air as if I just won the race; 3) I fold it backwards and let both arms rest in the small of my back for a bit; 4) I put both hands on my hips. I try to do these every half hour or so.

Early in the race, make sure your arms are relaxed. If tense, you will carry this tension during the entire race, making your muscles tired. You can also experiment with conserving arm motion--let it move, but not so much.

The only workouts I know that help are core workouts. These help to carry your frame better. Maybe not so much with the arms.

QS

#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

No, not numb. Fatigued, maybe. And, it happens almost immediately - not after miles.
#5 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35

only to ask how much running you've been doing and how often you do recovery weeks ... I know I felt tired near the end of marathon training and I didn't do recovery weeks like I should have ... and for some goofy reason I noticed tiredness in my arms more than my legs ... but during taper everything felt great again by the end ... just a thought to throw out ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#6 of 7 Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
This was happening to me when I tried to do that hundred push-up thing. I stopped, and the arm thing went away. Although I do a bunch of pushups on my own, almost daily, it's not as fatiguing as the 100 thing, and my arms aren't bothered during running.

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEye View Post
No, not numb. Fatigued, maybe. And, it happens almost immediately - not after miles.
its because your stride and arms don't match. Your either swing your arms to fast, or not fast enough. Make sure your arms and legs match up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page