OMG .... chin-ups are difficult ... - KickRunners.com

#1 of 17 Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
and that's putting it mildly!

I had to do some for my workout thursday ... max reps, 3 sets, 2 min rest between sets ...

my max was 1 1/4 or maybe 1 1/2, hahahahaaaaa

I felt soooooo stupid even trying in the gym with other people there ... but if I don't try and practice I'll never get better ... so it'll be a weekly humiliation for awhile ... yippee ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I scrolled down the page and read Jebba's post ... I was doing pull-ups, palms out ....

geesh, that's what the magazine called them too ... I just thought they were the same thing ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#3 of 17 Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 0
Keep plugging away at it. It's one of those things that will improve quickly, but will also fade quikly if you stop.

#4 of 17 Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I'll have to take your word on that .. for now ... Thursdays are pull-up days the next month or so ...

#5 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Go to the cross fit main page http://www.crossfit.com and check out the demo's for excericses. They have a few different video's on learning how to KIP while doing pullups. Once this skill is learned it will increase your pull up capacity at least 40%...everyone is different; but for me I'd say an easy 40%. The thing is that you stay at it. I'm not a big advocate for "machine" use but the LAT PULL DOWN machine will assist you in cordination and muscle recruitment. Seek out a Gravitron machine as well if your gym has one. Then every two or three weeks lessen the weight to assist.
Senator
#6 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I may try this eventually ... but the plan I am currently doing is to improve strength for the purpose of a better bench press .. and it specifically says not to swing in any way = dead lift ... we are doing a lot of back and abs stuff in other exercises ...

I LOVE the lat pull-down machine ... but I've cut that out temporarily for this program as well ... want to give it a fair shot ... and it's got us doing max weight on a lot of things so I need my recovery time ...

#7 of 17 Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Yeah the lat pulldown machine can help you build up to being able to do a few reps at your body weight. Chin ups are definitely a bit easier than pullups because you also use your biceps to help you "chin" up.

It might also be helpful, if your gym has one, to use the assisted pull up machine.. you put your feet on it and it helps you by pushing up on your feet depending on what weight you have it set at.. That might help ease you into it.
#8 of 17 Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

thanks for the idea on the assisted pull-up machine ... our gym doesn't have it ... but it sounds neat ...

Once our benchpress/run race is over I will try harder to figure out how to get better at pull ups smile.gif right now my focus has to be improving my bench press ... and run time

#9 of 17 Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I did 2 1/2 today banana.gif

doubled ... biggrin.gifroll_eyes.gif

#10 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 05:34 AM

Do you have any exercise bands? If so, they are a nice substitute for for the assisted chin machine that was mentioned a few posts back.

Also, if you have a chin-up bar at home, you may want to stop and do a chin every time you pass by it. It sounds simple but I would guarantee that you would see nice results.
#11 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

we don't have a chin-up bar .. and nowhere to really put one ... very small house ...

BUT .... I did 4 ... and then 2 minutes later I did 4 again ... but then 2 minutes later I only did 3 1/2 ...

but banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

#12 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Unless your house doesn't have doors, you have enough room for a chin bar.
#13 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I always wonder about those doorway chin-up bars ... it seems like they'd hook on the trimwork and then pull it down ... we've put too much time and energy into remodelling to have it ruined like that ...

I wish we had a full basement ... I'd have a heckuva home gym if we did!

#14 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 AM

TerryB
Is this what you meant by assistance /resistance bands?

http://www.workoutz.com/exercise/ass...istance_bands/

That would work on a the doorway bar too?
#15 of 17 Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Sporti, we have one that hooks over the doorframe (on the trimwork), and it is totally fine. We not large people (Mr jebba is the largest at 145 lbs), but I think they hold a ton of weight, so it would be difficult to damage a structurally sound doorframe.

I can't even do one chin-up.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#16 of 17 Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
Sporti,
My kids got me one of these for Fathers day: http://www.getirongym.com/Default.as...dXl8wAg&bhcp=1

It doesnt screw into the door frame or anything. It will easily support your weight.

Good Luck on the pull ups. I finally to the point where I can do 5.
#17 of 17 Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 3
i don't know when your race is but if it's like a pump-n-run increasing your all around strength is going to help your bench more than just always maxing out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page