Squats! - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 3
if you turn your feet out (like pilates) from a slightly wider stance on oache's move you'll get a great 'saddle bag' move.

assisted squats? jeez that looks dangerous for the masses. I'm glad we don't have one of those. I imagine that would drive me more nuts than all the people misusing the tricep pulldown. I have to turn my head when walking past that one.

Grey Dog: do you have one of those poems for all the men complaining about small calves spending all their time on the seated calf raise? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Holy ****! That sounds horrific! (Can't wait to try it.) smile.gif

Melis, I'll have to try the toes-out hamstring doodad. Unfortunately, saddlebags are catching up with me!!! DRAT that slowing metabolism!
#28 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Melis thanks for the pointing out the toe thing. My toes always lift up.

#29 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Special Member

oops I meant turn your feet out on this one cool.gif
from a wider stance w/ feet towards outside of ball
#30 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
confused.gif so start with the ball between your back and the wall?

I a beginner, beginner, my hamstrings are too strong in comparison to quads and make squats are near impossible with that imbalance and PF rocking back on my heels is owwie
#31 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Special Member

Yes Fox. Start with the ball @ about the small of your back. Feet out way farther from the wall than you think is necessary. (3 or 4 feet) Feet shoulder width apart. Sometimes a broomstick handle/ski pole/hiking stick/empty bar/ in one hand for extra balance. As you lower down the ball will ride up your back to about your shoulder blades/bra strap area. Bend from the hips like you are going to sit in a chair, go as far as is just more than comforting and push through your heels, squeezing your butt as you come back up.

A really simple way to improve your quad strength is to stand up out of your chair (office, kitchen, heck toilet) without grabbing an arm rest or the desk or table and pulling yourself up. You'll be amazed once you start noticing how often you cheat to stand up. blush.gif
#32 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Special Member

other quad moves

That's it. just hold there. Of course you know we can make this harder.

Fox: here's the ball wall squat
http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/exe...spx?pageID=266

TJ's Smith machine is a great way for beginners to learn too because it locks you into form. (I'm not sure about the assisted version) Put a step about ? one giant step in front of machine. Then when you take the bar off the rack, step up onto step. as you squat back and down ~ you have nowhere to go but into correct position. if you don't have a friend to catch you; slide a bench where the theoretical chair would be.

*disclamer. squats and lunges are hard on the knees if your quads can't keep up. ALWAYS make sure you can see your big toe!!! In rehabbing quads your knees might actually hurt worse for a couple a days (but hey we're runners) if you have any question about form find a mirror or a well experienced trainer to look at your form.
#33 of 51 Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Done the ball wall squat and the wide squat with a 10# dumb bell. My quads were sore for a few days. Also, isn't the one with feet on a chair and person laying on the back like a yoga pose? I think, the bridge? But with that, feet on floor, and hips and back come up, off the floor? The only thing that is touching the floor is shoulders, neck, head and feet.
#34 of 51 Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Cripes. I'm came across an excellent display of squatting strength and coordination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRlyPvphqk
#35 of 51 Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM

To follow up a bit, I'd very much advise that when a person first tries overhead squats, do it without any load or a just an empty bar to practice the position of it overhead.
#36 of 51 Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Special Member

Yeah it's like a bridge. But with the ball you are contracting and extending not just holding as you would be in the bridge.
#37 of 51 Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
This seems like a good way to injure yourself if you're not careful, but if you do it right, I imagine you can build up some insane power

One-Legged Pistols

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#38 of 51 Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Special Member

Thanks Joe for the new modes of torture, I mean training modifications. I love the band assisted single leg squat smile.gif
#39 of 51 Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Beastskills is a great site.
#40 of 51 Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Special Member

She's wearing flipflops?

(edit cause it said flipflips he-he)
#41 of 51 Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM

Bumping an old thread but wanted to thank you for this tip. My hamstrings have been acting up in recent weeks so I gave this a try. I can definitely feel it targeting the hamstrings, and am seeing improvement just from the few times I have done them.
#42 of 51 Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM

"See how his knees are in front of his toes? His knees should be back over his ankles or shoelaces, like the woman pictured above. She rocks. He does not."

He is in a much deeper position than she is plus the camera angle is such that it emphasizes his knee position. People who squat heavy realize that the upper body lean will be more pronounced even if the bar is racked across the lower traps. A tip is to push your hips forward as you ascend and try to maintain tight abs. Most people do not do full (deep) squats. If done carefully, this exercise is the king of all exercises, followed by deadlifts.

Alex
#43 of 51 Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
add some plyo power to your squats with

Split Squat Jumps, alternating sides

same as the previously described split squat except that your propel yourself into the air after the squat and switch leg positions for the next one ... I love this one ... I do it in training for my running ... I had my volleyball teams do it when I coached ... and I have my water fitness classes do them all the time (we call it ski with a BIG rebound in the water)

... and I love the swiss ball exercises ... I do the single leg curl a few times a week ...

There is an excellent ball exercise book out there called
"Strength Ball Training" ... med and stability ball stuff ... VERY
good book ... very functional exercises ... and incorporate a lot of auxilliary muscles to maintain balance throughout the various strength moves ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#44 of 51 Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Worked for me (even though I was 44) went from 175 to 205 in my first year of serious training in a gym setting. Heavy squats plus deadlifts and all my colleaugues at work thought I was on steroids! smile.gif
#45 of 51 Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
If I want to make squats and lunges a regular part of my toning/strengthening regiment, how many should I aim for and how many times a week?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#46 of 51 Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Addicted Member

I'm not an expert but I follow the 8-12 reps with 3-5 sets rule on this like most other weight bearing exercises ... if you're using weights you want to be sure you use a size that allows proper form and completion of all reps in sets with the last rep being difficult ... when it gets easy you can move up some (usually a few weeks) ... and do this 2-3x/week ... if I'm doing speed training in my runs I definitely only do the weight stuff twice a week ... recovery time is important ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#47 of 51 Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Special Member

I read in People online (my source for all health related stuff, ha) that Bob guy from Biggest Loser recommended 5 X 30 of squats and lunges on both sides. I can't remember how often each week. I did that yesterday, and after today's 10 miler, I feel soooo stiff.

#48 of 51 Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Addicted Member

did you do bodyweight or add weights with dumbbells or a barbell? I only ask because I think that'd be a lot of reps with added weight ...

but no matter what, if you keep doing it it'll be easier and you'll get less sore ... I was really sore the first week we did our bench press routine .. and last week was our 3rd week and I'm not sore at all and I've added weight to most of the exercises ... body adapting well ...

good luck with the lunge/squats ... I think they help a lot ...

#49 of 51 Old 02-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Let me let you in on a big secret about squats. People don't talk about it because it strikes fear in their hearts smile.gif If you want to enhance both your cardiovascular devlopment and increase your leg strength (actually your whole body will flourish) do set of 20. You will be breathing hard like you're doing intervals. So, when you're in the upright position, pause before going back down and take a few deep breaths. Some people call these breathing squats.

Squats (go all the way down) will strenghten your entire body like no other exercise except maybe for deadlifts. I've known young bodybuilders who asked me how they could build their arms. When I put them on a heavy squatting schedule, their arms got gigger with the same or minimal supplementary arm work. My personal theory is that squats trigger the increase of GH levels. It sort of works as a catalyst.

Lastly, I can tell you that when I ran in the mornings and lifted heavy in the late afternoon, I had my best races (sub 6 min. pace) but I was also in my 30's. I'm 60 now and credit years of heavy lifting for looking like I do now.

Alex
#50 of 51 Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Special Member

From your avatar, I never would have guessed you are sixty. I am sold on squats!

My goal is to be able to get my non-running strength from squats, lunges, crunches, push-ups and pull-ups.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page