P90x - KickRunners.com

#1 of 20 Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
Has anyone here ever tried it? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM

Likes Earned: 0
QN, what is P90x? Is it some type of supplement?

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#3 of 20 Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Home exercise video/program. I think I may have asked about it before (not sure) but figured there's more people here now.

Someone I trained briefly has been interested for a while but I'm not sure what to say her because I never got a good overall feel last time I looked into it.

It's put out by Beach Body.

#4 of 20 Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 PM

My wife bought it about 4 months ago. It is a serious program. Definately not for the first timer! I do just the ab workout and it is absolutely brutal. My wife has had incredible results with the program and I HIGHLY recommend it. It is grounded in reality. If you want it to work it will, but you have to be highly dedicated and follow it. You will be working out about 1 to 1.5 hours a day for 6 days a week.
Nate
#5 of 20 Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 9
I have a friend that does it and LOVES it--but says it is hard--but likes it!
#6 of 20 Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Addicted Member

My brother and SIL have done/do it. They liked the workouts, as they were hard.

They didn't like all the constant food prep they were doing with the eating part. I think they've gotten away from that, but I know my SIL is still doing some of the workouts.

AKA: Pollyana Buttface
#7 of 20 Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM

I am just about to finish up the second month of P90X and I have to say that I have seen dramatic improvements. Coupled with my marathon training I have never been in such good shape. Because it is designed as a total exercise program though, I have modified it to fit my running schedule. I do the three upper body workouts per week but sometimes swap out the Plyo or Yoga for runs.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the nutrition part because I just don't follow it. I just try to eat sensibly.
#8 of 20 Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Addicted Member

How stringent is the nutrition part? They (of course) never mention that in the infomercials. I've been drooling over that program forever.
#9 of 20 Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 PM

I just got this set of dvds from my nephew. I've just started the workouts.

From what I can see - no magic, and pretty sound philosophy.

On Diet - the give you two options - 1. specific meal plans, tell you exactly what to eat or 2. portions - give you guidelines like #protien services, # carb servings, etc. All seem to be good nutritional advice. Very similar to guidelines given to me by a dietician when I did a weight loss study at Penn State.

Routines: They are tough if you do them right, but they go fast because they keep it moving by changing frome exercise to exercise the hour or so goes very quickly. and what I really like is there are a number of different types of things, plyometrics, resistence, ab routines, yoga, kenpo (haven't done this yet_ core workoutss, stretching etc.

Like I said, I just started. There is a fit test before you start to see if you are ready, it was not too hard if you are reasonably fit.

So far - day 3, I'm fine, sore in a good way and I'm not having trouble with the diet. I'll check in now and then to update if anyone is interested. I took my before shots just to see how much progress I make.

I think it comes down to basic, sound exercise and diet. What makes it work the $$ for me is the variety and planning that it provides. I dont' have to think about what to do and I don't get into a rut or only focus on stuff that I do well. For example, I did the ab ripper routine last night and there were some moves that I could barely even do one time due to particular core muscles, that are not used in sit-ups or crunches, being very week. It think the even-ness of these routines along w/ the yoga and stretching will be great for me as I tend to developm muscle imbalances and inflexibility because I just workout without a plan.
#10 of 20 Old 12-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Update End of Week 1:

Start: 223 lb. 24.5% body fat
week 1: 218.5 lb. 24.4 % body fat

I'm using a cheap, hand-held bf% device - works like the scales, but I have to enter my height weight,etc. It's actually not too far off.

My impressions:

Diet: I'm not following it strictly. I'm watching my portions and trying to focus on protiens, vegetables, dairy - lots of cottage cheese, fruit and low on the bread, pasta. But I've had 3 beers this week -one in the evening a few times and a few cookies one day. But on the whole I've really kept my calories low. Trying to do this w/out major lifestyle impact so that I can eat like this all of the time.

Workouts:
Great variety. The ab routine is the only one you repeat during the week cycle. The next three weeks are all the same set of routines on the same day.

Cardio: No problem, this felt good and was not a surprise as I have been running a little w/ the dog and am in pretty good cardio shape.

Resistance: I do the full routines, but not as many reps and none of the more advanced versions of the exercises. Lots of room for improvement

Yoga/flexibility: LOTS of room for improvement. Many moves I can barely do at all, but I have already seen improvements in some stretches/postures that are used in multiple routines.

Core: The ab routine is brutal. I will be excited when I can really do some of these moves.

Overall: I worked really hard, had some soreness- but a lot of stretching is included an I really feel great. Very happy w/ week 1 results.
#11 of 20 Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Update End of Week 2:

Start: 223 lb. 24.5% body fat
week 1: 218.5 lb. 24.4 % body fat
week 2: 218lb 23% bodt fat

I feel fantastic - no lower back pain, no soreness, and I have a ton of energy. I think the small weight loss and may be because i cheated a bit on carbs and didn't get out with the dog for any runs. I edited this post to show 23% bf rather than 25%. I must have been tired sunday morning - my bf tester saves readings and I looked at it today and it was 23 not 25 - woohoooo. That makes me feel much better about the week.
#12 of 20 Old 12-23-2008, 05:31 PM
sdp

I was just looking at the info online - will be interested to see how you do / what you think of the program. May invest in it for my DH and me.
#13 of 20 Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM

End of week 3 - I was doing quite well up to Xmas, then I bailed on the workouts through new year.

Restarting w/ a redo of week three starting today.

weight-wise - not change since week 2. Holiday food cancelled out gains made first time through week 3.
#14 of 20 Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 15
I've been thinking of quitting the gym for 3 months to purchase this (3 mo gym membership is 2x what this costs). I know I have the discipline but I wonder about the time to workout at home. I have to do whatever workouts I do after work 3x/week which means doing them around work not at home. I wonder too if I could even do any of the strength training exercises. Cardio-wise I am fine. Strength-wise I think a 5th grader could give me a beat down smile.gif. I've read in the reviews there's a lot of benefit to going through the program twice (2 x 90 days).

I am very interested in it through. I just don't want to throw away $120+ on a program that is too hard to stick to because of time constraints. I gotta do something though.
#15 of 20 Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Time is a consideration, plan on an 1 hr. to 1.5 hr. a day and I think it may be more as you progress, but I'm not there yet. Also - it's 6 days per week and basically 6 different workouts so you need all of those days.

On the strength side, I travel for work, so I use a band - the ones with the handles, not the p90x brand but similar. It works, but not as well as the pull-up bar and some dumb-bells.

I am also running 3-4 times/week with my dog 4-8 miles.
#16 of 20 Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM

OK - I was rolling along great until xmas day. Went to moms, missed 2 days, then missed a week, then got back on for a week or two, then got sick.

I'm going to do a restart starging officially next Monday. I'm doing the workouts from week 1 starting today, but officially tracking starting monday.

I'm at 215 and have been running here and there, but work has gone nuts.

One thing I notices was - after I missed a few workouts, my mood, which had been fantastic, totally tanked. I think I really need the workouts to keep me even, I've always needed it, but I think these are particularly effective for that.

I'll post a new baseline on Sunday.
#17 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 01:24 PM

OK so shortly after my last post I caught a cold and actually cracked a rib coughing - whoda thunk? Anyway, I was unable to do any strenght training, so just ran w/ the dog. It's finally healed and I restarted P90x again yesterday. I am definitly feeling back to square 1.

Biggest benefit I notice from P90x - Balance and Stability - the combo of core, yoga, strength and stretching made my running feel effortless - never fatiqued from the center and no foot pain or back pain.

Running w/out doing it, I can feel the imbalances in my hamstrings and glutes creaping back in, my feet hurt in the mornings and my back hurts on long drives.

Yoga today - looking forward to it.

Oh and my weight is back up 5 lb. since i stopped, even though i've been running consistently 6-8 during week and 9-10 on long runs.
#18 of 20 Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Addicted Member

For those still thinking of purchasing it--go to ebay. There are a ton of them out there for sale. I've gotten several of the Beachbody vids that way and they are usually way cheaper because someone else bought them and bailed on doing them so they are barely used and still come with all the resistance bands, books, etc....if you check the descriptions carefully you can get a good deal.

A friend of mine just started week two of this and really likes it, and he was NOT a gym rat prior to the program.

He sent me the yoga, kenpo and stretching segments and I love them! I am thinking of getting the rest of the series. I wish I had had the yoga when I was still running, it is great to build strength and loosen hips, limber legs, etc.
#19 of 20 Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

I think P90X is a fantastic program. Years ago, before I got into running, I was an exercise video hound - mainly The Firm and other strength+cardio routines. P90X is definitely a step up from those types of workouts, and with it I saw and felt changes in my body - both form and function - that nothing else has provided. I did the "lean" version of the program in combination with running, and I was very pleased with the results.

As others have noted, the core benefits are awesome. Not just the abs, but the increased strength and flexibility in my back is noticeable in my running, skiing and biking. I noticed that overall my posture improved as well.

I didn't lose much weight, but I also didn't follow the nutrition portion either. However, I received so many positive comments - from people I hadn't seen in awhile as well as those who see me every day - that I figured something good was going on. Yes, it required dedication and commitment, but for me, it was so worth it.

This spring, I lent my dvds to a friend and just yesterday I asked for them back. Now that my running 'season' is winding down, I want to refocus on getting that core strength and overall fitness back.

As a final note, another purchase option - with a 30-day money-back guarantee - is QVC, of all places. You'll still pay the $$, but you'll be able to try it out for a month and know you can easily return it if you don't like it. I heard horror stories about those purchasing from Beach Body and having difficulties returning/getting a refund. Here's a link.
#20 of 20 Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
I'm really considering this for after my marathon season. Seems like something mr jebba and I could do in the morning before the kids wake up. He knows some folks who have done it and like it.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page