Diabolical Planks -- Core Exercises - KickRunners.com

#1 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Here's one I like to do in my classes. They beg for 10,000 crunches rather than this series!

Level 1:
Low plank position. Elbows bent, forearms on floor, elbows lined up right under your shoulders so your upper arms are perpendicular to the floor. Make a straight line from your head to your heels. Don't let your belly button drop toward the floor. If you feel pressure in your lower back, you may need to lift your hips a teeny, tiny bit up toward the ceiling. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. When you inhale, think about filling your lungs with air and expanding them left to right and front to back. When you exhale, force all the air out of your mouth and pull your belly button in toward your spine and up toward your ribs. Hold the plank for 1 minute.

Level 2:
After a (very) brief rest, get into that same low plank position. Hold for about 30 seconds, breathing as listed above. Then start to add movement. Without losing your plank position, slowly drop one knee toward the floor, then straighten the leg. Then do the other knee. Keep alternating, very slowly, for another 30-40 seconds. Your goal is to keep your plank intact. The only thing moving should be your knees, slowly down toward the floor then back up.

Level 3:
After another (very) brief rest, get back into that plank position again. This time, instead of moving the legs, you are going to move the hips side to side. Once again without losing your plank position, slowly twist your entire lower body to lower one hip toward the floor, then back up to center. Then the other hip toward the floor. The twist should originate from the top of the rib cage. I find it easier to do this without shoes. When we do it in class, I have them move their feet close together (touching). As they drop their left hip toward the floor, they roll onto the outside of their left foot. Same on the right side. Do about 20-30 twists, total. SLOW. Keep that plank nice and strong. Don't let your shoulders start to creep up toward your ears.

Ahhhh yeah. So evil. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Thank You smile.gif
#3 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 3
I thought I was the only one doing hip dips icon_tongue.gif oh, they hate those.

I'll play: (and I'll build off yours yeah?)

take Theia's plank: only this time on your palms, weight spread evenly across your hands w/ your feet on a swiss ball. Ball on Your thighs would be the beginner position, your ankles or toes will be more advanced. As you get more comfortable roll further out.
Slow controlled movements.
Step one: One sided leg lifts. Holding your core strong and steady be sure not to dip through the hips. Raise your right leg straight off the ball. holding and lower. about a dozen and switch legs.
(these may also be done w/ your elbows in the ball, body lifted and your feet on the floor)

Step two: Take Theia's knee-downs: except this time we are again going to work off the plank and the swiss ball. Everything remains the same but you are going to combine the knee-down with the hip-dip. Taking one toe off the ball, your knee heads towards the floor as your hips twist, shoulder bone to hip bone, sending your right knee across your left side. Be prepared to roll-off the first go. You will be steady through your contracted shoulder blades, strong obliques and left side stabilizers. Slowly return to starting position and alt. sides. Till the shaking starts. smile.gif

Step Three: We will begin in plank with your thighs/shins/feet on the ball. Contract your 'lower stomach' muscles to pull both of your knees in towards your chest. The ball will roll w/ you. Your rear will come up slightly but avoid hunching your back. Simply roll the ball back out to starting position. Next time we are aiming for a swimmers pike position. An inverted V. Push off your palms, roll your hips up towards the sky, the ball will roll down your legs as far as you are able to go. You have more back muscles firing here. Hold it and smoothly return to starting plank. Alt. pulling your knees in/out and the pike position. about a dozen each. notworthy.gif

#4 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

hello2.gif

I'm lost on #2, though. Which foot comes up when you twist right knee toward left hip? Must try this soon, so please write back! smile.gif
#5 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Special Member

your right foot would come off the ball and your right knee would bend towards the floor (same as yours) . instead of aiming your hip at the floor as you would with your hip dip; swing your right knee towards/under your left hip. the rotation goes all the way thru (think full extension on a Pilates twist.)
Better?
#6 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Special Member

If I am using a stability ball and moving my legs off of it, what keeps me from doing a face plant? Should I wear a construction worker harness or something?
#7 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Melistic, I think I got it!! I'll practice on my own before I try it in class, though. smile.gif

Colleen, if you've been dutifully doing your stability ball work, these should be a breeze for you! OK, maybe not a breeze, but you can definitely work up to them.
#8 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Special Member

I faithfully do my stability ball work, in fact I could use an upgrade. I will print out the face plant exercises. The stability ball is used 3-4 times a week.
#9 of 88 Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM

ohhhh these are good! I'll try them.
#10 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

You will need a hardwood floor and gliding disks. If you don't have the disks, you can use paper plates or a towel.

Get into a high plank position near the side wall of the room (so the length of the room is in front of you), and place the disks/plates/towel under your feet. Your focus here should be on your form: hands directly under your shoulders, shoulders away from your ears, nice straight line from your head to your heels.

Now WALK across the room using only your arms. That's right; drag your feet behind you as you walk your plank. Keep the nice strong plank intact! Don't lock your elbows, and don't let your shoulders start to shrug up toward your ears. Keep breathing.

When you get to the other side of the room, stand up, grab your disks/plates/towel, and RUN back to where you started. Repeat at least 4-5 times.
#11 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Special Member

oh you're mean

from either elbows or full plank~ transfer balance and weight to one side. Shift your weight as you come into a side plank. look straight ahead!

For more of a challenge raise your top arm towards the ceiling and lift and lower your top leg.

Other side...
One of my absolute favorite drills is elbows...hands...elbows...left...right....center.. .hands....left...right...center...elbows
time yourself for as long as you can possibly go. Shifting weight and stessor points will allow you to go much longer than simply holding a center plank for xyz

*For beginners all Plank may be done from your knees as long as you are lifting thru your hips, not swaying your back and contracting your core
#12 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Special Member

For any beginners... don't get discouraged. These are hard. The first time I ever tried a plank on my knees I face-planted instantly. INSTANTLY. o.k. I kept at it 5 sec. 10 sec. 30 sec. a minute. It takes literally that long to do everyday. It was awful.
So I kept working and began to see tremendous strides in my core strength, my arm strength, my shoulder stability. Significant decreases in lower back pain, headaches, love handles...
Try it. I promise eventually you'll love it biggrin.gif
#13 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Melis, I like to do pushups in between the side planks!

Center plank
Two pushups
Switch to a side plank... hold for a while...
Go back to center
Do two more pushups
Switch to the other side... hold...
Go back to center
Do two more pushups
You get the idea!
#14 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Special Member

There is something wrong with the both of you!!

Melis I don't get the hand, elbow, left, right, center thing....help! I really am a good student, I just have questions. I promise
#15 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

That's why we're fitness instructors!!! You have to be a little bit kooky, I think, to do what we do. biggrin.gif
#16 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Special Member

Start in whatever position is your most comfortable plank. For me that's the full but for most people it's elbows. Hold that as long as you can. When you start to shake and breathe really deep switch to another position. it doesn't really matter which one. The important thing is that you go straight into it. In going from your elbows to your hands you are able to distract the mind with movement and you'll be recruiting more muscles or different layers of muscle. So now you've held and low plank as long as possible and your refocused in a high plank, hold that as long as you can, breathe. Switch up into a right side plank. Hold. Your left side is getting a break. hold Switch into a left side plank. Hold. Your right side is having a rest. Hold. Then it's up to you where you go. Your body is primed. You can go back to your elbows for a low plank and hold that 10 seconds to a minute (your choice) just about when you get comfortable I yell hands! lol Now you are in a full plank again. Hold. Right side plank straight away. Breathe. Left side Plank. Hold. Now you are getting tired so I ease back. Elbows, for a low plank, check your form, for 30 sec.. Right side side-plank 30 seconds. Back to your elbows for a recovery plank (yes now it will seem like a recovery position) Left side side-plank. 30 seconds.
Now your very tired to we ramp it up and finish you off. Ready... Elbows 5 seconds. Hands. 5 seconds. Elbows. 5 seconds. Hands 5 seconds. Right side. 15 seconds. Left side. 15 seconds. Elbows, hands, elbows, hands.. You still with me good... Now flip over to your V-sit. Class is about to begin.
diablo_ani_fire.gif

*any time your back pulls slip through a downward dog and come back into the planks*
#17 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Melis, that rocks!
#18 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Special Member

Class begins now???? I thought that was the end of class. smile.gif
#19 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Special Member

You know... I don't think I've done that. hmm.
Well then...let's do our side planks off a bosu and make them offside push-ups shall we?

diabolical core indeed
#20 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Special Member

Note to self: if taking a fitness class, ask instructor how they feel about planks....asking for a screen name on KR may be a good idea too. smile.gif
#21 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Or do your center planks holding onto a domeside down BOSU with your feet on a stability ball!

Side planks on a BOSU or ball totally rock. Oh. My. God. Even I'm gasping and shaking at the end of those!
#22 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Special Member

Why thank you. I expect full credit should you steal it in class. Or if they turn it into one of those stupid Sharon Mann commercials banana.gif

staring over: it's Melistic wherever I go. You'll know my class. They are boxing on Bosu's or lifting while kneeling on the swiss ball. Or tied to each other running in opposite directions in the parking lot.... Wait till when we get to how I can torure you with a medicine ball. sad2.gif I'm the trainer sitting on top of the leg press or standing on a clients back while he does push-up's. If you are not having fun at the gym. You are not coming back.
#23 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Special Member

I don't have a medicine ball or a bosu ball na-na-na-na. smile.gif
#24 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Special Member

a basketball and a thick book.
you won't get away from me that easy
#25 of 88 Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Special Member

Ok, well basketballs are plenty and I have a few books (the people at Borders know my name).

Don't worry when I wear my first ever bikini this summer I will give you and Ms Theia equal credit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page