Morton's Neuroma shoe recommendations? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Does anyone have experience with Morton's Neuroma? My sister who is not a runner but is a very active 45yr old self-diagnosed herself with it recently. She lives on a sailboat and spends a lot of time barefoot and is in a lot of pain. She doesn't have access to a dr right now but I told her I'd see if I can help find her some shoes. She did some research online and found that the recommended shoe is often a New Balance motion control shoe. She has very high arches and a small foot. I'm trying to find her something and I don't think she needs motion control shoes - just something wide enough with good cushioning. I also told her to look into metatarsal pads (?) that she can wear like a sock and still go barefoot or wear Birks or Keens. Any suggestions? I know ideally she should go to the dr and then go try a bunch of shoes on but she can't do that right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Does anyone have experience with Morton's Neuroma? My sister who is not a runner but is a very active 45yr old self-diagnosed herself with it recently. She lives on a sailboat and spends a lot of time barefoot and is in a lot of pain. She doesn't have access to a dr right now but I told her I'd see if I can help find her some shoes. She did some research online and found that the recommended shoe is often a New Balance motion control shoe. She has very high arches and a small foot. I'm trying to find her something and I don't think she needs motion control shoes - just something wide enough with good cushioning. I also told her to look into metatarsal pads (?) that she can wear like a sock and still go barefoot or wear Birks or Keens. Any suggestions? I know ideally she should go to the dr and then go try a bunch of shoes on but she can't do that right now.

i use some padding in my shoe. i have one that my podiatrist made for me ... its just a spongey rubbery thing that goes atop the shoe insert and is shaped the same as the insert, ends about at the arch. I also use thick moleskin which i cut and stick on the insert like a metatarsal bar. Can get away with a few runs on these. then need to change it. I have also used them with other shoes, clogs, sandals by sticking it on my foot instead of the insert. That worked ok too. These things helped me run through this for the most part but have not resolved the problem.

Smile, breathe and go slowly  ~ Thich Nhat Hanh 
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2009, 04:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you!

#4 of 6 Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
hup
Advanced Member

Wearing Birks helped my Morton's, as did inserts with a met pad. As far as shoes go, just make sure that they are wide enough to allow the foot to spread naturally. I have had great luck using Lyncos inserts with the built in met pad.

http://www.amazon.com/Lynco-L405-Spo.../dp/B0017L94BM

"And at races, no one will notice the unflattering ice vest
once they see you're sporting a rectal thermometer."
jjj
#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM

I have been experiencing pain for a long time and have a job where I have to run around on my feet for hours. I had tried different shoes with no to little relief. I recently bought a pair of  Women's Shape-ups XF - Accelerators,  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!   I think the main reason they help is that they shift the weight back, off the ball of the foot. I will get another pair later.!!!

#6 of 6 Old 03-27-2018, 02:24 AM

planter fasciitis

Wore my new walkers, wide size, and walked 3 miles this morning. I always experience foot and leg pain after a walk, but not today. I am pain free and so thrilled. With those shoes, walking really a pleasure from now on!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page