#1 of 21 Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

Starting weight 143.4

Last Week 139.8

This week 138.4

Lost this week 1.4

Total lost 5

Well it wasn't the 2 lbs I was aiming for after walking 10K yesterday, but seeing as I spent so so long at 139.8 this week, I'll take the loss.  I did my measurements today, I wish I had done them a couple weeks ago because I didn't see a lot of change from my numbers in Sparkpeople last year and I would like to think that the 2 walks a day thing has changed my body somewhat, so I am just going to believe that Iost an inch everywhere and was just way fatter two weeks ago.

The really good news is that my body fat % did go down a whole percent, and I have been noticing a steady decline in that so that is a big payoff, though I don't know how reliable it actually is, but if the numbers are going down that has to be good. 

My walking times are also getting faster, so there is proof that my lungs and heart are getting stronger and my leg muscsles are working more efficiently.

That is what that means right???  Just humour me please I want a burger.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2

Keep working hard at it Willrun!

Starting weight 207
Last week 186
This week 181. 
Goal: 180. 

I am SO Close.

I had a lot of help this weekend since i had to have some gum surgery on Friday so I was forced to eat smoothies for 24 hours and I had to eat softer foods the rest of the weekend and I am supposed to continue that this week.

#3 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 AM

Likes Earned: 22
Starting Weight: 204

Last Week: 175
Today: 171
Gain/Loss: -4
Total Loss: -33

Goal: 160 (or so)

Yeah, I'm diggin' it.

Good job everyone. We're getting it done, in small increments, sometimes big. Even though I had a nice loss this week, it's offset from a few weeks ago when I went up. It gets tougher when you're near your goal. And I don't think it's my body causing the issue, I think it's my head.

#4 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2

I have found that as I get closer to my goal weight that I tend to relax more.  For me it is a tough thing to battle!  

#5 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaboiler View Post

I have found that as I get closer to my goal weight that I tend to relax more.  For me it is a tough thing to battle!  

It's odd. The last time I was in a weight loss "mode", I could have blown through my goal (150 lbs), and actually did. I "overshot" by like 5 pounds. And that includes the 5 pound cushion I "designed" into it. I dropped down to 145 lbs.

People were telling me I was too skinny, etc. I tend to lose a lot of weight in my face, and I think that's what freaks them out and gets them in a "you're too skinny, I know better than you" mode. I stayed that thin for over two years, and then went up 10 or 15. I was unhappy with that, but still a normal weight according to the charts (I was about 168 then).

Mu current goal is 10 pounds higher than last time, so hopefully I won't get the comments this time around, if it ends up being "easy" for me.

Based on what's going on now, though, I don't anticipate me being able to breeze through that 160 pound mark like last time.

People STILL chide me on how thin I was last time and I expect it this time too. I just think that they aren't used to seeing me at a "proper" weight. I loved it, though. Not the "intervention" and nagging, but the way I felt.

All I'm asking for is the fat around my gut to go away.
#6 of 21 Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM - Thead Starter

Still on track for food.  I always get off track when I reach about 9 lbs, or when I get to 130.  I haven't seen 129 in years, but I have been 130.2 and 130.4 twice in the last 5 years. 

Not this time though.

I had to laugh at the scale this morning.  I walked 10K on Saturday and Sunday and was up .2 this morning.  All that matters is next Sunday, plenty of time, plenty of time.

2011 - This  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
#7 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

I think I'm out.  I am holding more or less steady at 104ish.  Mr jebba got a new job, so meals, etc. have been all over the place.  I am pretty content to maintain for awhile and then get back into it.  Even though I haven't reached the number I want, my clothes definitely fit better, and I have a little bit more muscle definition.  I find I crave healthier foods.  I'm just not willing to be as strict as I need to be to go back down to 100.  I fantasize about going to a health spa for a week and just knocking it out.

I did, however, get an app for my iphone called Fitdeck.  It's a deck of cards that randomly shuffles different bodyweight exercises.  You can enter how many cards you want to do, or how long you want to work out, and it ill give you different workout each time.  Lots of pushups, squates, crunches, etc.  We've been pretty slack about our p90x workouts, so we may start doing this 20 minutes a day to get back into the routine.

Supposedly the company also has cards for exercises to do in the office when you are wearing work clothes, exercises for when you have access to stairs, etc.  That and my running should keep me even.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#8 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Fitdeck sounds interesting. Maybe I'll have to get an iPhone! Stick with us Jebba! We need the encouragement!

I've been having pretty decent success so far this week. Yeah, I know, it's only Wednesday. I too am craving healtier foods. I seem to always want grainy, high fiber stuff. But I realize I also need some protein too...actually a lot, if I intend to keep on running.

On that front, I hit my old 4.1 mile route this morning. That used to be my standard years ago, I would run it three, four times a week. As for now, this is the first time I've run it in a couple of years. I was doing a 10 minute run/3 minute walk. So, nothing speedy, but, you have to start somewhere.

It was a little unpleasant toward the end, I had a side stich, and a few other issues, etc. But, that will eventually go away.
#9 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Here's a pretty interesting article about exercise vs. calorie restriction for weight loss.

I have friends that say over and over (although I don't believe them anyway), I exercise for an hour a night and still don't lose any weight. I have to continually tell them that exercise is NOT really all that effective for weight loss. It's GREAT for maintaining, though.

Although, I never thought of the psychological angle that is mentioned in this article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974-3,00.html
#10 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM - Thead Starter

Hmmm, that is interesting, makes me re-think my post 5K cup of chocolate milk, which I really look forward too, but maybe I'll go back to water until I am least running some fo the 5K.  I know that in the past 3 weeks I haven't overcompensated my calories because I expercise, but maybe the post exercise chocolate milk AND my 70 calorie fudgesicle might be too much, even if I am staying under 1550 calories.

#11 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrun4chocolate View Post

Hmmm, that is interesting, makes me re-think my post 5K cup of chocolate milk, which I really look forward too, but maybe I'll go back to water until I am least running some fo the 5K.  I know that in the past 3 weeks I haven't overcompensated my calories because I expercise, but maybe the post exercise chocolate milk AND my 70 calorie fudgesicle might be too much, even if I am staying under 1550 calories.

Welllll...maybe.

I think that a lot of people "mentioned" in this article aren't really exercising as much as they say. Like I mentioned when I originally posted, I have friends who say they exercise an hour a day, and I'm not sure I believe them.

Or, maybe the really do then sit down and eat too much.

Either way, they aren't really making the commitment, and still haven't gotten the 411 that exercise burns calories, but not enough to be the only thing in losing weight. (I think it's the former...they haven't made a real commitment).

As I see it (and I'm no expert), exercise is good for your health (cardio, bone loss, etc). It is good helping you maintain your weight (for example, if you're a proper weight, and eat that extra 500 calorie meal, it's easy in one week to burn 500 calories). And, it can HELP with losing weight (burn an extra 1000 calories a week, that's almost 1/2 a pound).

But, to lose weight on just exercise alone, that's hard. Really hard.
#12 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 AM - Thead Starter

A few years ago when I lost this 30 lbs the first time, I had 3 months of calorie watching and no exercise and I lost 6 lbs, the next 3 months I added exercise and whole grains and I lost 16 lbs in 3 months so in my opinion it is equally hard to lose weight with calorie counting only and no exercise.  Plus I was snacking on all the wrong things, like pretzels and nuts and bolts.  All the white flour in my snacks the first 3 months didn't help.

#13 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

Hmm.  I know sometimes I tell myself I can overeat or have junk after a particularly good race or a long run.  But since I am a halfing, I only burn about 70 calories per mile.  So even if I PR a 5k, that's still only 210ish calories.  Not enough to justify a celebratory cheeseburger.

On the other hand, a couple of years ago, I was injured, and didn't run for two weeks.  I also went on vaction.  Gained 8 pounds in two weeks.  I know I was eating more, but the running must have been helping quite a bit to maintain.

I also feel like the older I get, the harder it is to lose.  In my twenties, I could skip dessert for a week or add a couple of extra miles to a few runs per week, and my weight would drop pretty quickly.  Now, I feel like I have to be 100 percent good with eating and exercise to see incremental changes.

I think about these issues regarding my kids.  On the one hand, I want them to get treats, but it is odd that we tend to feel that the way to show children we love them, or the way we reward them, is to give them foods that make them less healthy.  If my daughter has great behavior at school, I wouldn't give her a beer to say "good job," so why do I think taking her out for ice cream is okay?  Then again, junk food isn't evil.  My two are both very healthy and active kids, and the occasional junk food is not going to harm them.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#14 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM - Thead Starter

LOL, this is such funny timing.  Ya know how I said I wanted to lose 10 lbs before I started running?  Well to heck with that I am bored with walking, so I went out and walked 4 minutes ran 1 for my 5 k, felt really, good, BUT I also ate at McDonalds today.  I will be over my calories by about 200 I think.  I don't think me running today has anything to do with the McDonalds guilt, but more to do with plain boredom of the same walk twice a day, and the fact that the measuring tape is not going down as fast as I would like.  Though I did manage to do up the button and the zipper on the shorts I bought in Ottawa two years ago, and I tried to get them on in the fall, and I couldn't get the button to meet so I kow I am making progress. 

Jebba, that is interesting about what you said about your kids and treats.  I felt the same way with my friends kids years ago when they were little.  I think for me it had to do with McDonalds being a treat when I was little because we didn't have one in my town until I was about 12, we rarely ate there so when I amw ith my friends little ones my idea of a treat is a Happy Meal, but with life the way it is these days, it ishardly a treat and in some families, fast food is the norm.  I think now I am more likely to buy crayons or something like that, than food, but they are all grown up now. 

#15 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 05:54 PM - Thead Starter

UGH, that casserole I brought for lunch today and didn't eat because I went to McD's was so so so good, why did I go to McD's.   Such a waste of calories. 

#16 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM - Thead Starter

Well, I took 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of pants into "Stitch It" today to get the waist band taken in.  This way they will fit my size 11 waist and my size 14 hips for a few more weeks before I have to go buy new clothes.  I figure this will be  security that I can't allow myself to grow back into a 14, because the waist is smaller and will be uncomfortable very quickly.  I feel sorry for the people at Vallue Village that try on my wacked out pants when I finally send them away. 

#17 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 PM

I just bought 3 new pair. They're a little tight. I did that on purpose. Hope I made the right decision on that one.
#18 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 AM - Thead Starter

When I buy too small, they usually get sent to Goodwil laterl with the tags on.  LOL  I am hoping that I will be able to get the new waistline around my big hips.  They won't be ready until Friday, so I figure that in the next week I might be able to lose another 1/2 inch by walk/running in order to ensure that the hip/waist ratio isn't a problem.

No change from yesterday so that makes me pretty motivated to stay on course at family breakfast this morning.  Poached eggs, dry rye toast, fruit cup, no hashbrowns or sausages.  Then I plan on coming home and going for a walk/run, then clean up and go to retail job. 

#19 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:

When I buy too small, they usually get sent to Goodwil laterl with the tags on.  LOL 

Yeah, I'm hoping that won't be the case.

I have always used "an inch = 10 lbs" as a guide line, and it ends up being pretty true. So, if I get rid of these last 10 lbs, I'll be good. I'll even have a little extra room.

And, I'm also having second thoughts about how much weight to lose.

Last time my goal was 150. This time, 160. But, I'm thinking about adjusting it to 155 (as if that's an easy thing to do).

I'm anticipating these last 10 pounds to be rather difficult. I've been wavering all around 171 this week so far, which would mean no loss. And I've been running/walking much more this week too (yeah, I know, exercise). And I don't seem to be losing. Yes, my eating hasn't been out of bounds.

I have to really change it up over the next few weeks. Something different, because "the same old thing" doesn't appear to be working. Or, at least, not over the last few days.

Time will tell...
#20 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM - Thead Starter

Could you bike instead of walk, or rollerblade or swim or something different to change it up?  Go get a Jillian Michaels DVD and discover muscles  that you thought were in shape, only to discover through her torture methods that they aren't in shape?

#21 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Could you bike instead of walk, or rollerblade or swim or something different to change it up?  Go get a Jillian Michaels DVD and discover muscles  that you thought were in shape, only to discover through her torture methods that they aren't in shape?

I guess. It's just that my bike ain't that great, and I don't have much speed, so I don't think I'm expending that many calories. But, wow, I just checked, I'm almost at 20 miles this week! And, boy, do I ever need new shoes. The knee is starting to hurt.

Rollerblade...no...

Swim would be nice, but I don't have a place to do it, at the moment, that is. Of course, there's a lake 100 feet away (yes, I live in a lake community)...but it's still too cold.

I *do* however, need to hook the Wii up again. I have a "game" called EA Sports Active, which is pretty good at working up a sweat, so that would be good.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page