Detox/cleanse products or diet? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I'm probably going to drive everyone crazy with my new foray into the "new agey" eating stuff, but.....I've been reading articles in my natural health and yoga mags about cleansing to remove toxins in your system, kind of a periodic flush out to give yourself a healthier start. I'm not one for extreme things like colonics or anything, but I have a good book about the detox diet that you use for a weekend and I've seen a lot of products at the health food stores and Whole Foods that you use for a week, mostly herbals, I think.

Has anyone done an official "detox" using either one of the Cleanse pill products or the specified detox diet? I know they're either 3-day or 7-day with some preparation beforehand, and I'm thinking of doing it the week I am home when I have my surgery, since I'll be laying around and close to the bathroom anyway. My system is really crap right now, and I know these things have been touted to be good for your skin, digestive system, etc. What do you think??? My chiropractor went away somewhere for a week to do one but I don't have the time to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 PM

I did a 30-day digestive detox with herbal and fiber supplements in Januray. I lost only a few lbs. temporarily sad.gif as they are now back, and just went to the bathroom a lot more.

There are so many out there it's hard to decide on one and know if it can legitimately do what it says, or if it's quackery.

In general I try to consume food that's processed as minimally as possible if at all. Keepin' it real, peeps.

I'd love to hear what you try drgenie, as well as what anyone else has done and if it worked.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#3 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

I'm OK with losing weight or not, I just know I'd probably feel a lot better if I did this. Years ago I tried a diet similar to what jebba posted about in her no sugar, booze thread, and I did feel better, just from not having that crap in my system, but I kinda wanted to take it to the next level. I used to be a lot more anal about what I ate when I was running a lot, and since getting injured a year or two ago I've really fallen off, plus being on the road a lot is hard on the healthy eating too. I definitely agree about the lack of processed foods. I was off them almost completely a year or two ago and have really slipped lately since I'm rarely home for dinner during the week.

Did you feel any better physically, i.e. more energy, sleep better, not as bloated, or anything like that, separate of the weight loss when you did the detox?

#4 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 04:56 PM

I felt good on the detox, but honestly I feel just as good energy-wise when not eating processed foods or drinking alcohol and don't poop as much (maybe that is a bad thing but it's "easier"wink.gif.

Everyone's body is different, though, and only experimenting will let you discover how yours responds.

I'm actually looking for something else to try to jump-start some detox/weight loss since my body is clinging to 5-7 excess lbs. despite me "doing everything right" most of the time.

#5 of 10 Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
my coach pushes one called the Neera cleanse.

http://www.neerasupercleanse.com/

i am too weeny to try it.

My Blog

"100 milers are all gallowalking festivals."
-Tim
#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I like how it says "weight-loss is a side benefit". I was thinking about a "cleansing" just this morning. I'm scared that it may leave me feeling weak and fatigue. I've heard some people say that they "smell funny" as the toxins seeped out of pores. ????
#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 4
i did not opt to do the detox because i did not want to reduce my training. If my coach pushes it again this year ( i think it was in the winter some time) i may try it.

My Blog

"100 milers are all gallowalking festivals."
-Tim
#8 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I think I "detox" the morning of a race. surprised.gif
#9 of 10 Old 06-19-2007, 12:14 AM

I don't know if it was this thread or what, but I dreamed last night that I uh "detoxed" in a major major way. Like, more poop than a WTPJ run.

It was completely revolting to dream about that, but at the same time it was a good dream because I felt so lightened after.

Maybe this belongs in the embarassing confessions thread instead.

#10 of 10 Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 AM

You know what, SGH, your dream was possibly about your plans to move out of the area.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page