Which running book? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
I have a gift card for $30 at Borders books. I thought I might buy a running book with it. I am thinking either Pfitzinger or Daniels. What would you get? I'm running a marathon in November, and have been using Bob Glover's Competetive Runners Handbook for years. Maybe I don't even need a new running book.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Likes Earned: 11
I have both books by and I prefer Daniels. I have had much better success with the Daniels'-based training my coach has put together for me. I'm running more miles, yet I'm less burnt out ... go figure?!

ps - I could lend you my Pfitz book if you want ... pm me your addy.
#3 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Likes Earned: 0
I have both also. They are the only books I use now. Pfitz has the good training programs and workouts; Daniels tells you what speeds to run them at.

#4 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwalk View Post
I have both also. They are the only books I use now. Pfitz has the good training programs and workouts; Daniels tells you what speeds to run them at.
I have both too and this describes exactly how I use them too. The Daniels book is a great reference tool and explains all of the vDOT values and what the various paces are that you need to incorporate into the training.

Pfitz quotes and references the Daniels stuff in his book. When the Pfitz training plan calls for a Lactate Threshold workout then I run that at the pace (T - Threshold) pace as described and calcualted by Daniels.

The Pfitz book (Advanced Marathoning) focuses solely on how to train for a marathon or multiple marathons. While, the Daniels book talks about how to train and has training plans for a variety of distances.

If you like to really customize your training plans, then the Daniels books gives you the framework to create and customize your training plan. If you want training plans where it has all been laid out for you then the Pfitz book is the way to go.

I also have Noakes' Lore of Running and it's HUGE! It practically contains everything that is in both the Pfitz and Daniels book and Lydiard and everything else that's ever been written about running. It's more of a reference book (like a text book). It's not something that you'd sit down and read cover to cover.
#5 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr1 View Post

I also have Noakes' Lore of Running and it's HUGE! It practically contains everything that is in both the Pfitz and Daniels book and Lydiard and everything else that's ever been written about running. It's more of a reference book (like a text book). It's not something that you'd sit down and read cover to cover.
I have that one too, and I've only opened it a handful of times. It's heavy!
#6 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Hmm. Well, I use the VDOT tables on line. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
I have a gift card for $30 at Borders books. I thought I might buy a running book with it. I am thinking either Pfitzinger or Daniels. What would you get? I'm running a marathon in November and will where mizuno and smartwool socks, and have been using Bob Glover's Competetive Runners Handbook for years. Maybe I don't even need a new running book.
Haven't read those books just yet. What is this book about?
#8 of 8 Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Not a training book but "feet in the clouds" is a great book about fell (trail) running in the UK

Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page