Running in cold / while cold - KickRunners.com

#1 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
So, here's what I wore last night - weather in 30's and windy - possibly less.

1. nike fit tshirt (compression)
2. underarmour cold gear compression shirt
3. underarmour shorts
4. long pants - nike
5. windbreaker - from target, northing special

I was cold when I started, but not too cold - as usual. If I over dress and am warm, I get too hot. BUT last night, I was cold almost all the time. I think it was from being wet. Even when I got home and inside, my skin was cold to the touch and until I got undressed, I was cold.

Any suggestions?

Also, what do people do for their faces when it gets colder?

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 52
Hm...perhaps the fact that both shirts were compression shirts? No insulating layer of air to help you retain warmth. I ran yesterday afternoon, the temp was about 35F and windy here, too. I wore a sugoi long sleeve tech shirt, not compression, and a sweatshirt, asics mid-weight tights, ear warming band, regular socks and shoes. I ran in the snow and through some puddles (not a lot of snow) got my feet a bit wet, but was warm by the end of the run of 30 min.

I didn't wear gloves, used my long sweatshirt sleeves until they warmed up, then poked my hands out again.

One thing I have started doing after running in the cold is taking off my sweatshirt on the drive home (it takes me an hour to drive home) so I can get more warmth from the car heater. It seems to help a lot. Otherwise, I can be shaking with cold before I get home, even with the heater going full-blast.

This post is not meant to offend, demean or alienate anyone in any way, and if it did so please contact me by PM so I can rectify any offense as may be fitting. The opinions stated above are the sole property of the poster and in no way represent the opinion of this website or its members.

Run,...
#3 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I think what Gingerbread says makes sense. I ran the other day when it was 30 degrees with a non-compression tech short sleeved shirt and a light fleece and was OK. I think what you had on your legs was probably fine.

As far as faces go - I have a balaclava (from Sugoi I think) that can be pulled up over the nose or left below the chin. Helps warm the neck too. That's good for when it's windy or down to 20 or below.

#4 of 8 Old 11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 1
I have one of those UA cold gear compression tops. It does a poor job of wicking sweat. Everytime I used it last winter I was OK for a while then it'd get cold from evaporation.

I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump
#5 of 8 Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'll echo some other posts regarding the 2 compression shirts. Maybe the windbreaker over top didn't allow for enough evaporation of sweat.

For that kind of weather I would wear a long-sleeved tech shirt (not compression) and a long-sleeved t-shirt over top, running pants, gloves and ear band. If its raining or snowing, I would wear another tech shirt in place of the t-shirt.
#6 of 8 Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 AM

I've been wearing tracksuit bottoms and two shirts - usually a long sleave helly hanson base with a bright dryflow top.

I wear thin gloves most of the time and often start with a hat (although it usually comes off after a mile and I carry it).

I find I get too hot in a running jacket but the two top thing seems to work for me - I've been running through the snow the last week or so like this...

Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance.
#7 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 5
I live in Northern Indiana and the only thing that saves me during the winter months besides tights/drifit clothes/gloves/hat are $.99 handwarmers. They are worth it. Anything that can make your run that much more comforting/enjoyable is worth it in my opinion. For most runs I can get away with 2 longsleeve drifit shirts/tights/hat/mitten(gloves)/handwarmers. Everyone is different. Go to Dick's and buy a box.

Loss of Core Temp affects everyone different. I know when I'm done running a 15-20 miler in colder temps, my core temp drops dramatically if I'm just standing around chatting. I usually take a change of clothes with me to get into immediately and that includes a hat change. People don't realize how much you can actually sweat while running in the cold. Loss of salt is another issue that affects your electrolytes. This can be huge.
---------------------
My Blog
#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdCo View Post
So, here's what I wore last night - weather in 30's and windy - possibly less.

1. nike fit tshirt (compression)
2. underarmour cold gear compression shirt
3. underarmour shorts
4. long pants - nike
5. windbreaker - from target, northing special
6. smartwool socks

I was cold when I started, but not too cold - as usual. If I over dress and am warm, I get too hot. BUT last night, I was cold almost all the time. I think it was from being wet. Even when I got home and inside, my skin was cold to the touch and until I got undressed, I was cold.

Any suggestions?

Also, what do people do for their faces when it gets colder?
Dude, where can I get a windbreaker?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page