Sunday, August 1st - KickRunners.com

#1 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 1

Rise and shine... the early bird catches the worm...

It's August aleady?!  Jeepers, better start training for the marathon. Anyway, I'm up at stupid o'clock as the RnR HM starts at 6:30 am. WTF!  Hopefully my fake bib gets me in the corral with DW, else I'll be joining her during the 1st mile.  She's shooting for 1:42.  I'm shooting to stay awake.

Have a good one.

I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

RA -- Hope you and DW have a great time.  Do report back.

Me -- Coffles.  Then 22 miles.

#3 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Special Member

Morning...

RA - Good luck to you and yours. 

Rob - How many coffles for 22 miles?

Well, my workout felt great yesterday but not as great today.  Achy legs etc.  Nevertheless, will try it again. 

Have a great August Sunday! Dang summer is going by fast.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Special Member

Good morning everyone.  Nothing for me today.  Had a great time running this morning.

#5 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

OK, we're back.  Finished in 1:42:50 (or thereabouts), which is 20 seconds slower than the North Shore HM I paced DW for last month.  This seemed tougher.  Not sure why as there are no hills, only overpasses and on/off ramps.  Oh well.

MTA:  Official Results and comments:

5k: 24:03

10k: 48:14

10 M: 1:18:01

Finish: 1:42:46 (7:51 mpm pace)

OA: 973

Sex: 234

AG: 24th but DW had her older sister's bib so not sure what it was in 30-34.

DW started well but faded a bit late in the race with a stitch after chugging some water.  Interestingly I felt like crap for the first 7 miles and was stronger at the end.   The conditions were pretty stuffy for the first 5 miles in and around The Loop.  I was sweating a lot after 4 miles. I think that took its toll on many folks. 

The crowds weren't bad after the couple of miles and things improved once I got us in front of the 1:45 pacers who had a wall of runners behind them.   Unlike, North Shore I had to drink a fair bit and we both had gels around mile 8.  I was carrying a water bottle for DW and I refilled it a couple of times. 

Overall it was a good race, Natalie ran well (the 10 mile split is a new PR) and the slight course modifications from last year were a plus. Results from my buddies showed a mixed bag.  Some good, some faded badly. Temps were in the low 70s and mostly sunny.  We saw a few people down needing attention.  Hope they were OK

I chatted with some folks during and after the race and they said the same about the early miles.  One guy was running a 50 miler next weekend and a 100 the weekend after...  he was supposed to be pacing someone too but they didn't show or something.  A woman actually thanked me for helping her stay on pace in the first 5 to 6 miles.  This unofficial pacing gig is pretty cool.

Now I need a nap.

-----

Great running, multisporting, resting and stuff all.

Dave - A short course was probably a blessing given the conditions.  Great job on hardware.

zrun - I need more longer runs but may do the Xtreme 10 rerun.  Have to see what DW has on her schedule. 

#6 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Special Member

Kevin - Enjoy your Sunday

RA - A good mornings work nevertheless.  On ramps can be deceptive.

Did my 9 & 1.  HARD!  Stiff and tired. 

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#7 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 3
Great job out there everyone.

I had a good race. The course was shorter than advertised in all three disciplines. It was definately hot out there on the run; virtually no shade. 2nd in age group and somewhere in the top 10 overall. I won't know the overall standing until they post it. I will post pictures and a rr later.

Time for a nap.

You can see the details of all my workouts on my Blog.  Happy Training Everyone!  Stay safe out there!

David

#8 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10

Morning, er, afternoon, folks.

Not much on tap for me today...probably just a couple recovery miles. Today "officially" starts my training for NYC but I guess it's getting off to a quiet start. Still yesterday's long ride necessitates a recovery day.

RA - nice job w/ DW. Humidity perhaps a factor? Or having to run stupid early?

Dan - nice job on the 9

Chances - good luck on the 22

Dan - have a good rest day

#9 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Hey, all.   Nice job by your wife, RA, I think the weather was a tad worse than the day of North Shore and the crowds were probably worse as well.    Awesome race, boyerdavea, must have been tough!!   15 for me this am, maybe 12 of it at MP or slightly slower. 

Nice runs all and good luck (or good rest days) for those yet to go.

#10 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

100_1841.jpg

DSC_1498.jpg

You can see the details of all my workouts on my Blog.  Happy Training Everyone!  Stay safe out there!

David

#11 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Dave - were there many people for the gun show? ;)

#12 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 AM

109 competed.  Not sure how many did each event.  I know the majority did the international triathlon.  There were 8 - 10 in my AG.

David

#13 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Unofficial times were:  (Based on the splits from my watch)

1500 meter swim - 20:23 (my guess is distance was closer to 1100 - 1200 meters)

18.9 mile bike - 53:45 - 21.1 mph avg (course was suppose to be 22.4 miles)  Actual speed was faster since I didn't hit the split until I was part way through transition

5.3 mile run - 39:44 - 7:30 pace (was suppose to be a 10K)

It was a very unorganized event, nobody on the course directing traffic or participants.  A lot of missed turns on the bike course.  Fortunately I stayed on course.  Hot water served on the run course, with it as hot as it was it didn't help.  I am just glad I mad a last minute decision to run with my fuel belt so I had ice water for most of the run.

David

#14 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Special Member

Wow! Awesome job on those races guys!! I don't know how you do it. I think summer racing is sooooo hard.

yay Vash!! That is a good sign. :)

chances, how did the long run go?

zrun - nice! I was right there with you with 15 miles on the legs today. Although, mine were nowhere near MP.

Kevin, I'm glad you had a great time running. I think everyday should be exactly like that.

#15 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22

Flyby.  Very tough training race this morning.  We drove the bike course last night and the van didn't want to make it up one of the hills!  Not sure on time or place.  Wasn't expecting anything to happen, so not disappointed.  Son1 had a great race, placing 3rd AG.  Tomorrow's a rest day, then back at it on Tuesday!

#16 of 16 Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Special Member

Oh well, never got even the short run I wanted in. Tomorrow was my scheduled rest day, but not anymore.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page