KickRunners.com

KickRunners.com (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Finish Line - Run and Race Reports (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Salt Lake City Half Marathon, 4/17/10 (https://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66029)

nadra24 04-19-2010 08:37 PM

I decided about two weeks ago to run this race as part of my training for the Ogden Marathon in May. My training schedule called for a 14 mile run for the day, and the course runs around my neighborhood, so it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, a few days after I registered, I started having problems with toe cramping and plantar fasciitis. I called my doctor, who gave me some prednisone to help with the swelling. He told me to go ahead and run the race as a training run, but to stop if it got too painful.

I got held up in the porta potty line so I missed the actual start of the race. No big deal with the chip timing, but I did kind of miss the anticipation of standing in the crowd. I got across the starting line and got going. There were still a LOT of people around, who had also been waiting for the potty, so I still got to enjoy the race atmosphere. The first 4 miles are so are on a gentle downhill, and I was hitting a pretty steady 9:45 pace. I was a little surprised to feel like I was holding back, but was feeling good so decided to go with it. Around mile 8, I started to feel the toe cramping. It wasn't too serious, but I did have to stop and stretch a little bit. This didn't really slow me down too much for miles 8 and 9, but by mile 10 I was having to walk/strech for about 45 seconds each mile. I kept on at it, knowing the end was coming soon. Mile 12 was the worst, I was having to stop every 5 minutes or so. Still, while I was actually running I was maintaining a 9:40 mile according to my Garmin. With about half a mile left, I was passed by the pace cars and the leading marathon runner. (Keep in mind that I started 15 minutes late, so I didn't feel too badly about that) I was able to pick up my pace, had enough in me for a final kick, and crossed the finish line with a chip time of 2:13:53.

I am very pleased with my time. The last half marathon I raced was two years ago, and I finished with pretty much the exact same time (2:13:54). That race was at sea level though, and this one was at altitude with an injury. I can't wait to see what I can do when my foot feels fine!

I was a little worried that I'd wake up on Sunday with horrible PF pain, but my foot feels fine. I did get in to see my doctor this morning, who told me that the marathon is still a go for me. Yay!

kfuller 04-19-2010 08:39 PM

Nice job on the race. I ran around the midway point of the marathon on saturday to get my run in. Hopefully the foot will feel fine for Ogden.

brown82799 04-20-2010 11:31 AM

congrats on a succesful HM and no foot pain the day after!

BigBuckSnort 04-20-2010 11:53 AM

Nice Job. Hope the toe heals