Wednesday, July 29th - KickRunners.com

#1 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 1
Morning folks.

Sweating and I haven't even run yet. It's so hot here! Mid 70's at 5:30. Up and down since 2:30. Think cool, think cool, ah crap it's hot

Out for 30 mins as soon as the weggles settle.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 0
Good morning Dan.

Enjoy the 30 minutes in the heat.

Still no running for me yet, but hopefully soon.

Right now I am sporting a giant Sponge Bob band aid on my toe and wearing my wife's flip flops -- yeah, looking classy
#3 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Special Member

Good morning, all.

Dan -- Weird weather your way. 97 in Seattle yesterday? 106 in Portland? But just 67 in S.F.?

loopy -- Hope you're doing better. Enjoy the break.

Logged on yesterday to learn of the passing of a KR regular. So sad.

Up at 5:20 for the purpose of worrying about a brief due tomorrow. Deciding whether to try my hand at another hour's sleep, or try out the achilles for a short run.

#4 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 21
Go get em Dan!

Loopy: way to be stylish

Me: not sure... maybe 3 miles.
#5 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 21
Rob: I hope you took the sleep!
#6 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Likes Earned: 19
Likes Given: 3
Dan - I enjoyed my run this morning. I was even a little chilly on the start of the run. I guess it was the lack of humidity, relatively speaking I guess. Lower here than I am use to. Enjoy your run.

Loopy - Gotta love Sponge Bob.

Chances - Take another day for recovery.

Richard - Enjoy your run later.

Me - 6 miles at a 8:20 pace.

You can see the details of all my workouts on my Blog.  Happy Training Everyone!  Stay safe out there!

David

#7 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Special Member

I hope that toe gets better soon, loopy. .
That is some crazy weather your way Dan.
Rob, sleep.
Enjoy that short run Richard.

3+ on the TM for me. Back has been on the mend, still dull pain. Chiro tomorrow morning.
#8 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 2
I heard it was like mega hot out in the Pacific Northwest, be careful everyone.

Well today I was back to my normal 2 walk routine during my normal 5.2x mile run. The only difference was about 3 degrees warmer today (74 vs 71) and more sun that yesterday. The humidity was actually lower today than yesterday. (94 vs 91). Oh well I still got my run in. Total time was 49:35 and I did 248 push ups.
#9 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Special Member

Just an easy 5 scheduled for me tonight but I might stretch that a little farther if I'm feeling it.
#10 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Mailbox - have fun with the 5. I think you need a cut-back week
FB - nice going in the soup. I'm sore just thinking about 248 pushups.
Jill - take it easy there...
Dave - nice easy run.
Richard - hope you get in the 3
chances - sleep or run? I have the same dilemna every morning at 5am.
Loopy - you are one stylish guy! Hope the toe heals quickly.
Dan - sounds like a heat wave! Be careful out there...

I hit the bike path for 8 rather easy paced miles. I was feeling tired so easy paced was not as easy as I'd hoped. It was a luxurious 60F and sunny. It'll hit a blistering 76F today. Tourists from the PNW are being advised to evacuate the area / proceed to a cooling station.

I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump
#11 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Asics--nicely done.
boiler--you also!
Jill--dreadmill? YUCK!
David--you are a machine!
chances--yah, so sad about Voo. 37 is so young. I hope you went for a run!
loopy--hope you are on the mend!
Dan--hope you had a great run.

Running in circles for me. 2000WU, MS 1600's @8:00/800 rec, CD 2000. Nuthin' in the tank for today. I think I hit 8:04, 8:07, 8:11. Oh well. At least I got it done??? Weather was PERFECT--70* and light rain. Life does not get any better!!!

During my CD, I heard a runner behind me so I moved over to lane2. This kid comes FLYING by. Not the "flailing showing up the old lady" thing I usually see. This kid was smooth. I stayed in lane2 because I knew he would pass me again. We both finished at the same time. I asked him what he had just run. 1600 in 5:02. The kid is 15yo... He's here visiting from NC and asked for a running route. I went on home and picked up the hound for a CD walk. I saw the kid again, and he was as smooth as he was on the track. This kid is gonna do something with running.
#12 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

drip, drip, drip...

Well I got done before the sun got too high in the sky which helped but it's still warm out there. Took it nice and easy. As if I had a choice

4boys - 15 eh? must be nice.
RA - This keeps up you're gonna have a lot of NW immigrants.
MBH - Have a good one.
Dave - Chilly sounds great. Glad you enjoyed.
Richard - Whatever you do, enjoy.
Rob - Hope you choose the sleep. Yeah, crazy. SF sounds mighty good.
FB - Nice going. 94 % humidity? Wow, can't imagine.
Jill - Take it easy.
Loopy - Picture, picture!

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#13 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Fly by

unsceduled rest day- my right leg is toast. Hopefully will feel better for tomorrow. At work now getting a lil OT

good runs evrybody
#14 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Nice efforts out there everyone...except chances, of course, though having to fool with a brief due tomorrow counts!

I ran 3 miles this morning at something of a tempo pace for me...low 8s i would say....not too fast, not too slow...felt good and was bushed by the end...

I spent some time reading about the KR named "Voodoo" who passed away last Friday. He was clearly a one in a million kind of guy, and it reminded me to thank you all for the support and virtual presence you all are in my life. If a guy running marathons left and right can die of a heart attack the morning after a 20 mile run, then obviously anything can happen...everyone take care out there and keep listening to the ole body....

have a good day all...

I'm a Denier...
#15 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Special Member

Good morning everyone and nice job on all the running this morning.

It was probably mid to upper 60's for my run this morning. It is suppose to be around 90 today and most likely we will be getting the weather Dan is getting right now. I got out for a nice recovery run of 5.33 miles in 47:12(8:51). It was nice to go slow and just enjoy the run today. Now I think I am ready for the rest of the week. I need to finish putting my place back together after the carpet cleaning last week. Bought a bunkbed for my kids and put that up and am now waiting for my new computer desk.

Have a great morning everyone.
#16 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Special Member

Here is the description of a Half Trail/Half Road 8k I got in my e-mail. Sounds rather tough and interesting.

The race starts at the mouth of City Creek Canyon, we run up the trail
to soon start bushwhacking our way up the jungle trail, at the half way
point we make a right turn hooking on to the canyon road to start our
descent until reaching the finish.

The bushwacking part sounds rather tough.
#17 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Special Member

Well, I ran.

Very warm -- 80 and humid. After nearly three weeks off, it felt very strange -- and pretty labored. 4 miles in 32:42. With some foam inserts, the achilles felt okay. We'll see if they tighten up.

Good to be back, though.
#18 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Special Member

I'm just sitting here watching the Swimming World Championships on the computer. Michael Phelps is getting ready to swim in a bit.

Nice job on the run Chances.
#19 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Special Member

Good morning all,

It's looking like the sky will open soon around here...good thing I'm planning on a swim inside. After forcing myself to take a rest day yesterday, I'm feeling much better today.

EQ - I loved your run report from last night. Very moving.

kevin - Phelps has been having a tough meet, by his standards. But he's like Lance, don't ever bet against him. Oh and that 8k sounds really cool...I say go for it!

(speaking of Lance -- all that nicey-nicey talk between him and Contador during the Tour? Done. I wish the 2010 TdF would start tomorrow, it's gonna be awesome when the old man whips the pistolero's butt.)

Chances - glad to see the run went off relatively well. First time back is always tough. You're officially in rehab now (no, not the Amy Winehouse kind).

brown - nice job on the tempo

BBS - enjoy the rest day, and since you have so much time on your hands today, send more Kashi Almond Crunch (and oatmeal too) to Northern Viriginia!

4BM - sigh...I was that kid once. Hope he lives up to his HS star potential better than I did. I had all the tools but not the head back then, ended up being good but never great. Now I'm just happy to be out there still competing with the other 45+'ers.

RA - 76 was our low last night, I think. OK maybe 72 or so.

FB - nice run, looks like you are rebounding well.

Dan - stay cool if you can. I heard it was like 106 in Portland yesterday. That's just crazy.

Jill - nice job on the TM, way to be smart. Hope the chiro is helping. I'm a big believer in that now...just had my adjustment for the week this AM.

MB - have a good RECOVERY run (i.e., it's for recovery, why do you want to stretch it?)

Dave - nice easy run there

Richard - Have a good 3

Loopy - no Barney or Dora the Explorer band-aids?
#20 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM

Hi everyone! I've missed you. Summer semester has been intense and I've been kind of burned out on online communication due to an online class from ****. I planned to be active again here after the term; sadly KR Voodoo's passing this week brought me back a few days early.

With my new coach roots (live-in coaching, does it get any better? ), better nutrition, and more yoga that has basically erased all the aches and pains I'd been having over the last year, I've been having some great weeks and am excited for fall marathon season.

Today's workout was 10 miles with 8 X 800 after warming up. I've been running 800s really well on the high school track but today 4 lanes of it were covered with soccer gear as the girls were practicing. So I ran on the dirt Towpath today using a mile marker and painted tree for half mile repeats. (It was fitting that Voo loved to run here, too.)

I was disappointed in my workout. On the track I've been going 3:30 and below for the distance. Today nothing was faster than 3:33. The intensity and difficulty felt the same, so I think not getting good push-off footing and just being out of my usual place were factors. It was also 93% humidity and 75 degrees. Still, I wanted to run better.

I look forward to catching up with the group! Hope everyone is feeling good and having fun.

Dan - that is a crazy heat wave y'all are getting in the PNW. Hang in there!

loopy, sounds like you had a toe incident? Poor piggie - heal quick!

Richard, hope whatever you decided on was fun.

Dave - nice solid run!

FB, do you do your push-ups in sets or to exhaustion? You're a machine!

Jill, glad your back's on the mend.

MBH, enjoy the 5.

RA, at least you got it done even if it wasn't "easy."

4boys - cool you got to see that young talent. And, THANK YOU for being a courteous runner who makes way for those doing workouts - want to come up to the track where I work and teach all the ambling, curler-wearing, chatting walkers in lane 1 some track etiquette? Please?

BBS, take care of that leg.

brown, thanks for your wise words and nice tempo run, too.

kfuller, sounds like a satisfying run.

chances, I gather you were injured/off? Ow. Welcome back!

Hawk, have fun in the water.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#21 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Special Member

SGH- I have been to a track where it actually says that if you are walking do not block lane 1. I would like to think that it helps.
#22 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
SGH--welcome back!!! You have been missed! As far as the track... You didn't see my post from last week's track workout. Two girls ran a 400, then strolled in lane 1&2. As I passed them, I asked them that if they were just walking to please move to an outer lane. The one actually said "what? It's not like we are in your way!" I about wanted to................
#23 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM

I shouldn't complain, as I can actually do something about the anarchistic (is that a word?) track at work. I work with the recreation director who is "in charge." That would be a good start.

Hi 4boysmom! I missed you all too - ugh, work has been so crazy this summer. Are you still looking at doing Inland Trail?

Yesterday I had the two strolling, chatting girls, too. I would very politely call out "Excuse me, passing" as I approached. You would think they would get tired of that after like 6 times and move over one lane, but noooo.... still strolling. And one walking woman chewed me out for running too close to get around her! Hello, I am in lane one, I was there before you, and I am not strolling.

This should not bother me so much, should it?

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#24 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Special Member

Disappointing week of training but I seem to be getting better with my increased attention to making my shin better. 41mins today...was hoping for an hour but I had a wicked, nasty side stitch that I could not get rid of. Hoping tomorrow I can get back to normal since the shin felt pretty good today.
#25 of 31 Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Special Member

Got my swim done...not too bad. 1050 yards total. I think I may actually be getting a little faster in the pool (though, not fast, perish the thought). I actually was passing a couple of people today. That never happens.

I may do something more this evening. I'd like to to do some weight work and of course, that means "some cardio" to warm up. Run? Bike? Elliptical? Dunno.

Welcome back SGH.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page