Sunday June 15th Happy Fathers Day - KickRunners.com

#1 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Good morning to everyone. No running today. I will probably watch some of the US Open golf today and go to church. After the amazing display that Tiger Woods put on yesterday, I wonder what other tricks he has in store for today. Have a great day everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
As a rule I post on the 1st thread posted on multiple starts - But ... Sorry Dan - I am going for the "Happy Fathers Day" thread.

I hope all the Dads out there with kids at home or close get to spend some quality time with there kids today. Those who have kids distant - I hope they can at least touch base.

My DD#1(7) & 2(3) are taking me to see Kungfu Panda today and I want one of those big sodas

6 this am / likely 6 later today + plan on walking + Weights tonight.

Good running to all -
#3 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 1
Getting reading to head out for my 15 miler... should be a fun time.

I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump

#4 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Happy Father's Day everyone!

Resting my tired legs from yesterday's half marathon! Have a great day!
#5 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Got a good 10 mile run in this morning with my rp's. Felt soooo good.

Happy Father's Day to the dad's out there.
#6 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Happy Father's Day!

Kfuller- Enjoy your day
Flounder- Have fun at the movies
Asics- Hope the run goes well
Brian- Enjoy the rest
Jill- Nice run this morning

I am not going to run today, but will probably go for a bike ride with my Dad when he gets home. He had to go to a swim stroke clinic to renew is referee certification for swim meets. Have a good day!
#7 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Early start to the day. Out the door at 6:30. Long ride--58m, 3:22, 17.2mph. Hadn't planned on going quite that far. Got out there and the bagel just wasnt' enough. Figured it was only a few more miles to the next town, only to find it was actually 7m. Dah... close enough! Managed only a 2:41 stop to run into a stop&rob, buy a Little Debbie fat bomb, get my water bottle filled, and back on the bike.

Once back home a very slow transition, and out for a run. Early on the legs weren't working, but then I got into a groove. Certainly could ahve gone further. But, this was an extra run so didn't want to piss off coach too much, and needed to get back so I can take son across town for a ride to camp. 2m, 17:27, 8:34pace
#8 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 14
82 degrees and humid at 830am today. High is supposed to be 97 degrees.
The heat kicked my ass today, but still got in 3.87 miles (gotta love a garmin!). My desire was to do 5 miles, but my body isn't ready; especially with the heat. Next Sunday I'll have to get up much earlier to get in a good run.

I had to mix in some 'walks' on this one but all in all it still felt good to sweat and breath heavy again.

4boysmom: great bike ride - I'll be mixing that in to my routine next week when the bike my brother is giving me arrives. THAT will be a new experience - but I'm looking forward to it!

Jill: Enjoy your day after a great run!

Happy Sunday to all and a Happy Fathers Day to all you dads!
#9 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Special Member

Hey, no problem. I'll never post first again

Got the 3 in that I mentioned in my original post. Wish I could say it was easy but...Got a great massage last night and my legs felt kind of heavy this morning. Still, felt good.

Final day of the Open, Lakers last chance, and Fathers day. Not only that, the sun is out! Wow

Happy Father's day to all the dads out there.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#10 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Special Member

Congrats to all the great racing this weekend!

My run might have been a PR but after 2 years I was pretty much guaranteed one, but I am a bit disappointed with my time, but I must realize these summer races don't mean diddly and I gotta get ready for this fall where the extreme goal is to make top 12 so I can run on our Conference meet team.

Okay so anyways - 6/259 for AG, 66th over all, so probably like 61/2 out of overall men. 37:31 with a 5k split of 18:24...I think that shows you right there how well I finished. I wanted to start out conseratively since it is uphill and I also noticed once we got out that there was a headwind...probably not over 10mph but noticeable. I hit the first mile in 6 flat...not cool...I was hoping more for like 5:50-55, and work my way up incrementally. Next mile, 6:02, and I felt I ahd picked up the effort. Then we turned off the main street and down residential streets for the rest of the race. Mile 3 had lots of downhills, like 3 sort of big ones - 5:41. Mile 4 was back to flat and my calves were already rocks plus I just felt plain ragged. I believe the weather was at least 80 and very sunny, plus I couldn't really get any of the water I took down, it just splashed on my singlet and made it cling to me annoyingly. Mile 4 in 6:18. Here a guy came past me and I was about 10m back from a smallish group and he said "Come on buddy you can go get those guys so I started to try and slowly work my way up, but the guys also must have picked it up, mile 5 in 6:05. Mile 6 was back to trying to keep moving as fast as possible and possibly save some sort of energy for a good finish, 6:18. Last .2 I knew I needed to finish strong to get back all those places I had lost in the 2 miles and I probably passed 8 or 9 people up, 1:03, so at least I finished strongish I guess.

Overall a cool race for a small town kid like me to have people clapping along the course the whole way with sprinklers going and music playing, but I think the thing that made it absolutely horrible was that you had to walk well over 100m before you could even get anything to drink. The handed yu a little wet towel sort of thing, but it took me about 5 minutes to get to the refreshment tent. Lots of fun though, my XC coach is still a "Bellin Legend" and ran it for the 32nd straight year.

As for now, I'm taking today and tomorrow off, then summer training starts. I'm off to go massage the crap outta my calves.
#11 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Thanks for the report - way to gut it out - You might of felt like it, but you didn't die, you hung tough and made the most out of the day.

See you Soon!

#12 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Special Member

Good morning everyone. And Happy Father's Day to me and all the other dads.

Dan -- Can you believe we snubbed your opening post? Me either. I guess your run wasn't easy, but I hope you had little pain.

kfuller -- Enjoy the rest, and all the tv goodies today.

Flounder -- Enjoy your double.

RA -- Take 'er easy on that long run.

Brian -- Rest well, and can't wait to read your RR.

Jill -- Nice run with your peeps.

Megs -- Enjoy the cross-training day with your dad.

4boys -- Wow! Quite a ride there!

satfix -- You're on your way back, my friend.

Alex -- Holy crap! That's outstanding. You've quite a lifetime of impressive running ahead of you.

Me -- Seventeen this a.m. At about an 8:12 pace average. Beautiful morning. And now I might need a nap.
#13 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
My 15 miler stretched a little to 15.7 miles in just over 2hrs for a 7:45mpm pace. My quads and hips were tightening up in the last couple of miles. I also go rained on.. a lot.. early on. Not that I cared as I had slipped on a light vest and cap before I headed out. However, the sun came out afterwards and it got real steamy... I could literally see my breath, it was that humid. Fun fun.

Alex - great race!
Chances - another nice long run. You're giving me a run for my money
Dan - it's coming, slow but sure.
satfix - yep, the heat and humidity just suck the life out of you. Good job on the garmin miles.
Megs - enjoy the ride
4boysmom - nice brick!
Kevin/Brain - enjoy the rest day
Jill - nice early 10
Flounder - don't forget the trash can sized popcorn... I heard Kung Fu Panda was good. Hope you have a great time.

I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump
#14 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 21
fly by posting.

Great race Alex.
Everyone else congrats on your work outs and enjoy the rest of your day.
#15 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Hola!

I was at the beach all day yesterday, so didn't get in here for a report. I drove out to Kitty Hawk early with the goal of doing 2 hours of running. Part of that was a local 8K in the Kitty Hawk Woods which made the run extra fun. I didn't race, but it motivated me to keep a steady pace to have others around. Total mileage ~ 12.5. There was some haze and smoke in the air from a huge wildfire in the area. It didn't bother me too much, but I did have a headache afterward.

Apple: Here's another GREAT route in Kitty Hawk. Really different and scenic. The link has a map, too. Too bad I will be in Western NC when you're down here or we'd be able to meet for it.

Today: 8 miles around my neighborhood. The weather gods were smiling. It's 80 and muggy, but thanks to cloud cover and sprinkles, it felt great! The second I finished, the sun came out in full force, making it hot and steamy.

I should be building to my first 50+ week in a while this week, if things go as planned.

Alex - you placed very well in your race. I bet it was different to race such a long distance compared to your track events.
Megs - enjoy your ride with your Dad. That is the workout I'd most like to do today.
satfix - nice job! You'll get that 5 next time.
Nice ride 4boys, and run, Jill.
chances141, good going on that 17.

Good runs or replenishing rests to everyone.

Have faith in you and the things you do.

My (mostly about) Running Blog
#16 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Hey everyone. I got the baby down for her nap and went out for 8 miles. Goal was between 9:30 and 10:00 per mile, and averaged 9:55. Felt very comfortable.

Marathon training starts tomorrow. 18 weeks out to Baystate.

Take care out there.
#17 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Happy Father's Day!

I haven't decided if I will get a run in today. DW and I got up early to help with a race. It was a multi-sport race - the Du Run Run. 2 miles running, 10 miles biking, and back over the 2 miles running to the finish line. It looks like it might be a fun event, though I saw lots of folks who had a hard time walking after the 10 on the bike! That was the advantage of taking care of the timing mats for the transition!

So after standing out in the Sun for several hours this morning and the temperatures up into the 80s, I'm not sure if I want to get out and do a run later tonight. I'll post if I get up the energy.

Have a great day and enjoy those workouts!
#18 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM

I got my 9 miles in. A little slow, but I did it. I could feel my body saying "running while tired? Oh yeah, we remember how to do that." Sweet.
#19 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Alex - great report and way to finish strong!
#20 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Special Member

Hey Alex, Great effort and greater finish!

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."   Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#21 of 23 Old 06-15-2008, 10:43 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Great job on the race Alex!!!
#22 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Special Member

Another Sunday, another fly-by post. Weekends are so busy...

It was just an easy run day for me today, the 5k loop through my neighborhood at recovery pace until the final half-mile when I stepped it up to HM pace. 25:09 (8:05/mile) total.

That's all for now. Time for bed. Hope all the dads here had a great day.
#23 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Just another day off for me...posted my race report here and in multi sport...check it out if you have time. Planning on a bike commute tomorrow...Good runs to all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page