Brain Injury - KickRunners.com

#1 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 0
A long-time friend of mine, fell 8 months ago and had a TBI (traumatic brain injury) He was in a coma for a long time, and when he came out had extensive brain damage. He will spend the rest of his life in a nursing home, except for bouts to the hospital to fight infections (it is hard to keep someone well after such a significant brain injury) For all purposes, my friend is gone. He's alive, but...
There are people hoping but I find myself looking at the prognosis given even just at his most recent cat scan and even his family are just ready to have him in long term care and move on with life without him...

And I started thinking... if it got to that point, where I was gone, and the chances were very unlikely, I wouldn't want to be kept going and going in that condition.
What about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Jhi

Likes Earned: 0
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a very detailed and specific living will/medical directive that I've gotten my family swear to honor. It took a long time to write but it covers many scenarios, including one similar to the one you described.
#3 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

i don't think i'd want to continue in that way either but then again... i think about jill bolte taylor (the brain scientist that had a stroke) and think it may just be euphoria... a different way of experiencing this space in time. what can the family do... i mean, since euthanasia isn't legal yet?

that's really sad. i'm sorry that you've lost a friend... and since he's in limbo, i imagine it's hard to grasp it all.
#4 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
I don't know... My therapy dog and I visit nursing homes. There was one resident who quickly became my favorite. He was young, I think in his 60's. He had a degenerative condition. It slowly reduced him to being unable to do anything. But you know what? He was still there, still everyone's favorite. Staff would hang out in his room because he was fun to be with. Yes, even when he lost the ability to speak. You could joke with him and his eyes were laughing. His memorial service was well attended as he was well loved by many.

I've seen other residents who were still able to enjoy what little they had of life.

So don't write him off just yet...
#5 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
He was 24 when the accident happened. I've gone to see him and it's like... nothing. But that may be because I'm comparing him to, well, him.
#6 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 18
Likes Given: 35
when the kiddos were little and hubby and I were actually working the same shift for a few months I took them to a sitter ...

her DH had been in a serious auto accident and had major brain damage, colostomy bag, and couldn't swallow/chew food on his own ... she took care of him at home ... he made some noise once in awhile ... couldn't move his lower body, she had to move it for him to try and keep some muscle tone ...

anyways ... she did daycare to make some money for her and their kids to live on while he lingered until he finally died ...

Is this similar to what your friend is experiencing now? I took it that this IS pretty close to what you are talking about ... no responsiveness to outside contact? No smiling when others talk? No nothing ...

yeah ... I don't think I'd want to linger like that ...

the PRT is not somewhere to drop my morals and ethics and roll in the mud and muck and pretend those I am talking to aren't really people at all and it's alright to treat them like dirt.
#7 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Special Member

I've been reading a book called 'Stumbling on Happiness' and the interesting thing in the book is that apparently, people overestimate how bad they'll feel if certain things were to happen to them. I think it's smart to decide what you think you'd want in the scenario regardless.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page