Random acts of kindness - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Double Knotted's comment in the things that make you smile thread got me thinking.

When was the last time you were the recipient of a random act of kindness?

When was the last time you performed one?

I was the recipient of one Saturday afternoon when a very kind lady let DH and I go in front of her in line at Hobby Lobby. She said that I needed to get off of my feet. (I was feeling a little miserable at that time, so I almost cried!)

I let a mall employee ahead of me in line at the pretzel joint Saturday. I remember burning my entire break waiting to buy a pretzel when I worked at the mall many years ago.

OK, now you go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
Last time I was a recipient:
Saturday. Someone held the door for me when I was leaving the store with my 2 daughters in tow, and a handful of bags.

Last time I was a giver:
I gave the clerk enough coinage to make exact change as the lady in front of me was digging in her purse to finish paying for her order.
#3 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 11
Tonight I'm dropping a plate of home made cookies off at someone's home.
#4 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM

I can't really talk about the giving, but in memory of the Rabbi and his wife in Mumbai, I've been focusing on this lately.

Last time I was a recipient: I'm going to have to think about that.
#5 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Member

Because you're not looking to toot your own horn? That's AWESOME on so many levels.
#6 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
I will have to think about the giving [art but the recipient part was yesterday.

My buddy and I were trying to finish a bike ride based upon written directions and a map. Another biker came up and told us it was a little confusing and he would show us the way...he led us to the bike trail (and even slowed down for us low folk). It turns out we would probably have never figured out all those turns on our own.
#7 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Special Member

I have one... oh pick me, pick me.

I was sick Friday and left work early. By later in the afternoon I was on the verge of heading to the hospital, but called one of my coworkers. She said come into the office and she would see me. (She's an ARNP.) anyway, she was getting ready to leave the office for the weekend, but stayed 2.5 hours with me while I got 2 liters of IV fluids. I owe her something for that.

My last act of kindness was a while ago, but I'll give it a go. My wife and I were leaving a supermarket and the sky opened up with rain. We had a huge golf umbrella with us and we made it to the car dry. As we were driving home we saw a lady at a bus stop sitting in the rain. I made a u-turn and Lucy gave her the umbrella. She was already wet, but at least she was able to wait without being completely miserable. sad.gif

CS
#8 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Special Member

My mom brought craft items to my sick children yesterday-thanks for the break mom.

I was in the grocery and there was a chef, yes a chef from a local resturaunt-they had run out of lobster. There was a table of 4 waiting on lobster. His boss gave him cash, he had no wallet. Oops he was $2.00 or so short. Of course the little cashier just look at him dumfounded. I gave him the rest of the money so he could go back and make 4 people very happy.
#9 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Special Member

I do a good deed every day, and usually anonymously. The only way I miss a day is to be home sick, which is a good deed to those I stay away from. It can be as small as letting someone ahead of me, or as large as paying for something for someone, without letting anyone know what I have done.
I try to live mindfully. You get more back, in good feelings, when you give as much as you can. It need not cost money, either. It can be a moment, a gesture, an act of kindness. A simple "Let me help you with that". It connects us to the greater good that does exist if we don't let life beat it out of us. Even when you have nothing, you can still do something.
#10 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
I guess giving a ride to a friend's friend from a party last night was an act of kindness...otherwise she was going to have to get a cab. I didn't really even think about it...it's just something you DO, ya know?

I can't think of anything I've received lately but that doesn't mean there haven't been some. I'm generally pretty blessed in that dept. The cafe at work didn't charge me for my banana on Friday. smile.gif

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#11 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
On Saturday, I stopped the soccermom minivan and got out to help push another soccermom's minivan up a small incline. Fortunately, I was able to get my van going again because I happened to be facing DOWN the incline.
biggrin.gif

Icky greasy slippery snowy roads are no fun at all.

On Wisconsin!
#12 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM

I picked up my roommate some soups and quick meals. She's short on cash but doesn't admit to being hungry. I just leave them on her bed, I know she's thankful.

My current coach let me on his highly successful track team without knowing anything about me. No previous times, health status, nothing. He asked if I'd get up at 6:30am for practice. I said yes, and he said welcome to the team. I don't think he realizes how much that meant to me.
#13 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM

I have an almost 2 yr old boy who wants to be a garbage man. Every Monday morning while he is still in his crib he hears the garbage truck coming and then he screams for me to come get him. I take him out front to see the garbage men and they make a huge production over my boy. They talk to him, honk the horn and just make his morning. It makes my day because they are so kind to my boy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page