Job application question - KickRunners.com

#1 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
When you apply for a job, is it bad to ask them not to contact your previous employer? It seems like it would sound bad to a prospective employer.

I'm applying for jobs right now. I lost my job a couple of weeks ago, under questionable circumstances. The official reason was for "discrepancies between acceptable employment standards and those exhibited during your probationary period." I wasn't given much of an explanation beyond that, and I don't know what those discrepancies are. I was completely surprised, and it kind of seems like the manager just has a problem with me (for what reason I don't know). She has a history of saying one thing to your face and then turning around and doing something completely opposite. I am nervous to have potential employers contact her, because I have no idea what she'll say about me. I am much more confident to have them contact my coworkers, because I know whatever they say will be accurate (not necessarily fantastic, but at least accurate).

Will it look bad if I ask prospective employers not to contact my supervisor? I am not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Can you have someone pose as an employer and call your previous supervisor? See what they say?

Can you give the HR number and not your supervisor's to prospective employers?

I would either give the number on your application or leave that employer off. Asking them not to call would be bad, IMHO.
#3 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Addicted Member

I would ditto having someone pose and calling... and giving HR not the supervisor...

There's only so much an employer can say when they call, at least in my experience.... dates of employment, eligible for rehire or not, etc - legal issues.
HR probably knows that line and will steer far clear... a supervisor who didn't like you, even if she knows the line, might slip things in.
#4 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

The plan is to give HR's number, but today I'm filling out an online application that specifically asks for the supervisor's name, and then a box that you check yes or no to give permission to contact. I don't actually care much about this particular job application, so I might just check yes and see what happens. I don't want to leave this job off of my resume, because I do have a lot of good references from coworkers I met there.
#5 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 1
I didnt give my current job permission to contact my former supervisor because I was still working at my old job at the time and my boss didnt know I was looking for a new job (and I didnt want him to). It wasnt a problem for me.
#6 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Leave that job off- It was probationary period so it's not like it opens up a 3 year gap.

HP, I sort of imagine you like Barney- with less hair. -Maccabeth
#7 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Special Member

HP is right. And the references from co-workers you met while on probation won't carry a lot of weight, even if they are glowing.
#8 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
"Good morning, Vandalay Industries...."
#9 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Addicted Member

The other thing is you could put NO for now. Then in an interview, talk to them about the situation, and let them know that if they talk to the supervisor, to be prepared for what she might say.

Lots of employers won't give out any info, other that dates and pay. I'd definitely give HR's number as the contact.

AKA: Pollyana Buttface
#10 of 16 Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Special Member

When someone calls me about a previous employee the only information I give them is whether they worked for the company and dates of employment. If on the application they have the pay I can confirm that but I won't give them their pay without them already having it on the application. I don't give them any recommendation(s), reason for leaving or anything else.
#11 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrible Peanut View Post
Leave that job off- It was probationary period so it's not like it opens up a 3 year gap.
Well, it was a 6 month probation, (actually closer to 7 month time frame, since I took some unpaid leave) and I actually got more experience there than during my required internship. Do you still think I should leave it off?
#12 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Addicted Member

Just so you know, if it's for a federal job and requires a background check, we contact your last supervisor, with or without your permission and do a COMPLETE interview with them.

"Listen, kiddo. I'm trying to be patient. Try to keep up, alright sweet potato?"
#13 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Special Member

Request a copy of your personnel file from the former employer, and then make a decision based upon its contents.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_right...onnelfiles.htm
#14 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadra24 View Post
Well, it was a 6 month probation, (actually closer to 7 month time frame, since I took some unpaid leave) and I actually got more experience there than during my required internship. Do you still think I should leave it off?
Depends.
In order to get this job do you need related experience and that 7 months was the only related experience you have?

Otherwise- leave it off. If they ask about a gap- be upfront- tell them you took a job that didn't work out. When they ask why- just say it wasn't a good fit.

HP, I sort of imagine you like Barney- with less hair. -Maccabeth
#15 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadra24 View Post
I took some unpaid leave

There's your reason for being let go.

I believe that during a probationary period, they can let you go pretty much for whatever they want.
#16 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Either leave the job off, or have them call HR. I believe that all that the information a former employer can diverge (unless it is a small unscupulous business in say, the Keys) is start date, end date, starting salary, and ending salary. God luck. I know the feeling. I can explain later what I do, as I worked for satan, and would never have anyone call her. I have them call the owner or the manager at the other business affiliated with my job. It's an involved story, so I can't get into it now, but if you want the details, and I don't know how helful they are, I will let you know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page