Friday my MD drew blood for a cholesterol test - KickRunners.com

#1 of 5 Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
So why does Walgreen's have a prescription for me for thyroid (synthroid) ready? I'll have to call his office tomorrow to verify there hasn't been a slight mistake made.

After perusing the internet for symptons of hypothyroidism, which is what the medication is for, I don't see any symptons that would fit me. Interesting, if nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 01:55 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

All my labs came back fine except my thyroid appears to be taking early retirement. My cholesterol was 171 overall with the good being 31 vs the bad being 112. The doctor wants my good to be above 40.

She thinks that the low does she is prescribing for my thyroid may actually help the cholesterol level too. I go back in six weeks to retest and make sure the dosage is correct.

I'm telling you folks, once you past 50, hang on. It's one thing after another.
#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Special Member

That's interesting. I was told that running helps increase good cholesterol, that's one of the reasons I started running more a few years ago.
Good luck.
#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRebelRunner View Post
All my labs came back fine except my thyroid appears to be taking early retirement. My cholesterol was 171 overall with the good being 31 vs the bad being 112. The doctor wants my good to be above 40.

She thinks that the low does she is prescribing for my thyroid may actually help the cholesterol level too. I go back in six weeks to retest and make sure the dosage is correct.

I'm telling you folks, once you past 50, hang on. It's one thing after another.
thyroid levels can have a significant impact on your cholesterol levels. people w/uncontrolled hypothyroidism will have higher cholesterol levels, and the higher cholesterol will be difficult to control until the thyroid issue has been addressed.
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Special Member

a lot of times doctors order tests besides what you discuss. i think it's funny to see some of the eyes bug out when they see the collection of tubes for what they think is a "simple blood test" when they are really getting an over 40 or over 50 set of tests

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page