or Connect

Posts by Thor

Good morning, TEAM LIT!   x: Love your attitude about your marathon this weekend. You have fun out there. It will get difficult at times, but if you run a few notches back from your true marathon race pace, you will have the energy to enjoy the race and help Tracy enjoy hers!   MoCo: Very cool on a LIT gathering! Gator Girl rocks!   Muffin Queen: I'm glad that 12 minute buffer worked. And I bet it worked for reasons slightly different than you might have expected....
 Agreed. Fox, there are several things at play here. For novice marathoners or even those not as fit as they could be to truly race a marathon, a good strategy is starting very, very easy. But here in Boston, especially when you are so fit like Mike, you really have to take advantage of the course and then hope to be so strong and fit that your pace doesn't fall off too much. That's how you mostly knock out a great marathon here. The course really is a factor unlike in a...
Good, good, good morning, TEAM LIT!   It was so awesome seeing so many TEAM LITers over the weekend here in Boston. I love it because it truly has become an annual reunion.   MQ: I didn't get to tell you this, but it so warmed my heart to see you when we did. I was so worried about you, as I know just how emotional that day was, so to see you smiling and with N2 was a smile. I wanted to jump the barrier to give you a hug. You are better for being there, and this will...
Few things:   Pace on roads and more technical trails is not the same. You need to go by effort level.   That said, I would just go out easy and stay easy. Because it will get hard after 7 or 8 miles. Then finish up.   The harder you run, the more a chance you have to feel all the supporting muscles for a week or two. If you run easy, the supporting muscles (such as in ankles and legs and feet) will come around in a few days.   If the trails are flat and smooth...
6 days isn't alarming for a race in which you truly laid it all on the line.   Alarming is that you mention Iron levels and such and a history of it.   Also, perhaps you have come down with dead legs. Dead legs is  a very real but little known issue, where your body just isn't right and nothing feels good. I have been dealing with it personally for a year now. I knew about it and knew I had it, so I was able to best make sure it didn't get too bad. The point here is...
Crap.
Good morning, TEAM LIT!   As most of you have already seen, yesterday was among the most fun days of my entire life. My buddy and I cruised along fairly easily, going through half in 1:37, talking the whole way. He surprise me with a sign on his back that read, "This is Thor... This is his 100th marathon. Say hi!" We had so much fun meeting so many people from all over the world. If that wasn't enough, we got the party going with a little...
 YES!  YES! You can TOTALLY DO THIS with a one week on, one  week off plan. Don't get wigged by people telling you that you need to do it this way or that way. You can do it this way and, in fact, you have so much run way until Fall that if you start early you will not only do this but you will do it rather successfully. As BrewDad said, the first time at this distance is going to hurt anyway, especially if you're fit enough (and you are) to run the whole thing. Roden is...
Good morning, TEAM LIT!   Julie: Have fun on the long run today! Hope it goes well.   TASM: What a nice surprise that must've been for your friend to show up... bearing lunch no less! Hope the side-effects for R5 are nada, zippo, nothing.   ksrup: I'm with you on the emotion surrounding the marathon. I know for me that my emotions are running far more wild precisely because of all the media attention. I don't mind the extra press -- I actually like it -- but it...
Good morning, TEAM LIT!   Cake: 10 mile TT @ 21 mph! Girl, rock on. And hey, you are now in that sweet spot where the harder you push and the stronger you get, the faster you will go in not just an incremental way as it has been before. Because at that speed you are fast enough to power over all the smaller hills and use them to slingshot you toward more speed. Efficiencies are easier to be had because you're tapped out and feeling out the terrain in the name of staying...